Road Trip! Family of 7 - It's Only 1600 Miles - June 2016 TR (completed)

Cake by the Ocean

I have a video but it won't let me embed it...I'll have to try to get it downloaded and put on YouTube.

DED681DE-78FE-484C-A270-415C39B35E14_zpshxo7u8w2.jpg

Maybe this video will just have to work.
th_4E0D3F6E-8729-4E0E-AD71-86EFC6CAD182_zpsrep8vicq.mp4

Last edited:
What'd you pick up there?
The chair and umbrella?

Rented umbrella and chair on the beach. Ron Jon's - we bought a Magnet! Oh, and a body board, skimboard, beach football, and probably a t-shirt, and a pile of bumper stickers.

F4F40C97-6282-4C61-9CE2-2978FD57F6DA_zpsdsv3fpjn.jpg

Last edited:
Great trip report!

My deepest condolences about your dad. We traveled to WDW in 2015, 3 weeks after my niece passed away. It was a nice way to take our mind off things, even though we were devastated. Your wishing well coin was a nice tribute to your dad.

Your family seems lovely. So nice to see so many happy, smiling faces :-)

Great trip report!

My deepest condolences about your dad. We traveled to WDW in 2015, 3 weeks after my niece passed away. It was a nice way to take our mind off things, even though we were devastated. Your wishing well coin was a nice tribute to your dad.

Your family seems lovely. So nice to see so many happy, smiling faces :-)
Thanks. Yes, the distraction was very good. It sure helped when me and my 5 other siblings got together. We all had 2 weeks to digest what just happened.

Trying to update the report but Photobucket is a POS again...hacked again they were it looks like...or they purposely sell you out.

Storm Approaching

We ate our lunch, and our cake (we stopped at a Super Target and got the goodies for the cooler for sandwiches, etc.) Now a storm is approaching so we pack things up. It starts raining and we hang out under a picnic shelter. It passes and we make our way to the car. We drive south a bit but decide to just call it and head back to WDW....it was hot at the beach and the waves were wimpy. We ran in to the presidents motorcade...well, didn't "run in to it" but saw it on the other side of the interstate.

Here is how well the RainX works on the windshield. Keep in mind the iPhone puts the cars in front out of focus. I am not running my wipers.

Click image for video:

Last edited:
Chapter 9: We're Going Downtown

Downtown-Disney-vignette-1860x312_zps7fslmpgl.png

Bongo's
That's right, it's a good night to hit up the Springs. I make reservations at Bongos Cuban Cafe - mainly as they had an opening (the reviews better be right - open tables 2 hours before usually is a sign). We grab our bus and make our way. the bus drop is only one location now - I guess we will walk a bit. We make it and check in and while we wait, we wander a bit outside. Table is ready in 15 minutes. They seat us right in front of the band, kinda under the stairs. All is good.

Bongos_zpsaczzqtj2.jpg

I love it - when they give paper table covers and crayons! Kids go to town!

91496302-4613-42D4-AB7C-C29F597A7490_zpshru3fabx.jpg

E3D33ACD-8384-42CF-8898-1FC43B4B2C47_zpsamet0gqy.jpg

We go to order dinner. Not off to a good start. 1. Ran out of the two beers I wanted...so water it is. Ran out of Ribs! Ugh! Son was not happy but found something. The food came (took a bit longer than expected) but it was all good. Everyone was happy with the food.

Last edited:
interesting vid. So I take it you'd swear by it then. Kinda hard to tell from the vid just how good (or not) it is. But I guess if you're running in the rain without wipers...

Ran out of beer and ribs? Just what time did you get there?

interesting vid. So I take it you'd swear by it then. Kinda hard to tell from the vid just how good (or not) it is. But I guess if you're running in the rain without wipers...

Ran out of beer and ribs? Just what time did you get there?

7:30pm on a Thursday! Yeah, I found very odd as well.

interesting vid. So I take it you'd swear by it then. Kinda hard to tell from the vid just how good (or not) it is. But I guess if you're running in the rain without wipers..

First started using in early 90's. It does work well >30 mph. Yeah, full endorsement for it from me.

Goofy is Goofy does.
:goofy:
Gawrsh! What would a trip to the Springs w/o a trip to Goofy's Candy Company? Well, a sugarless, chocolateless, candyless boring trip of course....Maybe we just go to play with fun mirror. Each visit we probably spend 5 (maybe more) minutes in front of it.

4320B2C5-269D-4094-8EF1-081EEC310260_zpsex7zn8as.jpg

1D1FE21C-78FD-4934-962D-82FA1A3347ED_zpspdfw6lie.jpg

5FD1CCF9-7E69-4386-99DC-61CE946EBB85_zpsuzsvxoar.jpg

FC33A11E-31EB-4CB7-909E-A4910DEB972D_zpselugmbbr.jpg

:goofy: ah-hyuck

Beer:30

After dinner and some shopping, we make our way back to Pop and tuck the kids in. Mamaduck and I head to Petals, the pool bar, for a beverage. Good night everyone.

A9A136B4-0BAD-48D8-BF2B-D41BCA23BB7C_zpsdiwwu0lj.jpg

Gawrsh! What would a trip to the Springs w/o a trip to Goofy's Candy Company? Well, a sugarless, chocolateless, candyless boring trip of course....

:laughing: Good point!

After dinner and some shopping, we make our way back to Pop and tuck the kids in. Mamaduck and I head to Petals, the pool bar, for a beverage. Good night everyone.

Nice way to end the day.

Great TR. And what a wonderful family. Sorry about your father.

I am planning an almost identical road trip from Mankato to POP in November. Our trip will be about a half hour shorter than yours. Any recommendations or tips?

Great TR. And what a wonderful family. Sorry about your father.

Thank you x 2

I am planning an almost identical road trip from Mankato to POP in November. Our trip will be about a half hour shorter than yours. Any recommendations or tips?

Well, in November you have a slightly higher risk of some bad weather to start out your trip, so maybe a buffer. Do you plan on taking the scenic route or fastest route? I would have normally taken I94 to Rockford, IL and cut down but depending upon road construction, through Iowa can be faster. Since you are further south, you can cut down through Iowa to Stl and over....we just took scenic 52 and back country roads to Cedar Rapids. Did you start up a Pre-trip report :-)

Well, in November you have a slightly higher risk of some bad weather to start out your trip, so maybe a buffer. Do you plan on taking the scenic route or fastest route? I would have normally taken I94 to Rockford, IL and cut down but depending upon road construction, through Iowa can be faster. Since you are further south, you can cut down through Iowa to Stl and over....we just took scenic 52 and back country roads to Cedar Rapids. Did you start up a Pre-trip report :-)

I am thinking fast route down through Iowa via 218 to Waterloo. I'll give myself 3 days and hope to check in early on day 3. Hopefully, that will be enough buffer to work around November weather. Then on the return trip, I'll head up through Rockford, IL. With no hard time commitments awaiting at home, I don't need to push through bad weather on the way home.

I will consider a Pre-trip report once everything is firmed up. The trip is still contingent on some variables.

Any must see roadside attractions? I have the Clark Griswold gene, so I might stop to take a picture of the world's largest ear of corn.

Any must see roadside attractions? I have the Clark Griswold gene, so I might stop to take a picture of the world's largest ear of corn.

Not sure as we didn't do that this trip (unlike other trips). The Arch is always cool to see. "Hey kids, it's the Mississippi River!" Have kids spot the "Batman" building in downtown Nashville. "Look, it's the mountains." We wanted to do some plantation tours in GA but their hours didn't match with our schedule; everything closes like 5pm :-(

You could stop for peaches and nuts in GA and Floridia....you will see signs like every 5 feet... It's like heading west on I90 and seeing the "Wall Drug" signs. I'm sure Google or Disboards has some good feedback.

Good questions for your Pre-Trip report once you Green Light the trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter