• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RnR rocking Providence RI Aug 7th, 2011

Just got my post-race survey. Took advantage to address my distaste for this practice.

I heard back from Competitor:

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your e-mail. Thank you for your participation at the Inaugural Rock 'n' Roll Providence Half Marathon! We do provide the 'SAG wagon' at all of our events. Once participants are collected in the sag wagon, their chips do not continue to read on the correct splits & mats. Therefore, they are considered as a disqualified participant as not having completed the full 13.1 miles. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Have a great day!

I'm fine with that. It doesn't say they don't get medals but really that was secondary to the official time and finishing place to me. Yes, they may get a medal they didn't earn but they aren't effecting the finishing place of other runners/walkers.

I got the same exact response as Frank. I am just not sure how accurate their claim is. The buses were moving slow enough that people could jump on and off at will in essense jumping off just before a split and still hitting the mat. I also found someone in the results that crossed the start, finish and only the 10k mats. Wouldn't they have been disqualified per the message we recieved?

Forgot to mention - PSA - be sure to secure your D tags! We picked up three on the course, one within sight of the finish line. We turned them in to an official, but what a bummer!

I got the same exact response as Frank. I am just not sure how accurate their claim is. The buses were moving slow enough that people could jump on and off at will in essense jumping off just before a split and still hitting the mat. I also found someone in the results that crossed the start, finish and only the 10k mats. Wouldn't they have been disqualified per the message we recieved?

I can see how this would happen. I was running behind a woman coming up to the 5k split mat but instead of actually running over the mat for some reason she decided to go around it by a couple of feet.

Just popping in to say what a great time time I had with both my old WISH buddies and the several new ones I met. I had not trained at all so my expectations were quite low. I was happy to finish and legitimately earn my bling. If, as people have posted, the bib #s are DQ'd for those picked up in the sag wagon, then I guess it wouldn't affect anyone else's rank. Why anyone would want a medal they hadn't earned is totally beyond me. Pat is correct about the Disney races. At both the first Tower of Terror race and the last Minnie 15K, I know for a fact that people were picked up and later dropped on the course. This is very discouraging to to the people at the back of the pack who truly struggle and honestly complete the full course. When I did ING NYC I knew someone who missed EVERY single chip mat after 13.1 until she got back into CP at around mile 24. I was so hoping she would get DQ'd but it never happened. I truly believe that some organizations feel that as long as you're not in contention for a prize or BQ time, it just doesn't matter. They've already purchased the medals so it's easier to just give them away than deal with all sorts of angry people with probably a million different excuses/explanations. Sad commentary on our society and entitlement.

Hi everyone! We just got back from Boston last night. What a week! We really enjoyed seeing WISHers race weekend and glad we could spend some time with you guys. THe WISHers rock! I did missing seeing some of you but am looking forward to seeing/meeting you at future races. :thumbsup2

This was my first race where it rained from start to finish and continued throughout the day. As a self-annointed blister queen, I was really nervous about what kind of shape my feet would be in by the end of the race. A 16-year old kid in my corral at the start said I wouldn't get any blisters if my feet were wet the whole race. He went on to say you either want your feet soaking wet or completely dry. Well guess what? I didn't get any blisters. I did chafe, though. :( Note to self: Apply extra body glide for wet weather conditions. ;) I also had a few PF issues but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. However, my foot is hurting today. I guess better at home than during the race.

As for the SAG wagon, I have mixed thoughts. As others mentioned, we saw several packed busses pass us along the route. I, too, thought they were taking participants to the finish line area only to discover them letting the participants out way ahead of us - at the top of one of the hills. This brought back memories of the last Minnie race we did at WDW. I remember hearing about people being picked up and dropped off further in the course. I suspect Disney doesn't do this for the half or full races. It really doesn't bother me...as long as it doesn't interfere with my standing in the results. I know I did the complete race. I wouldn't want the medal if I couldn't do it or finish it on my own.

I hate to admit this (especially living in New England) but Im a fair weather runner. I NEVER run in the rain, so for me this was HORRIBLE!! Luckily I had no chaffing or blisters and managed to beat my half PR by 10 minutes.

I was really disappointed with the lack of bands, and wound up listening to the most annoying girl the whole race complain about her boyfriend.:sad2:

It was better than having it be super hot and humid though, so Im thankful for that. I thought the finish line festival was pretty good althought I literally left as soon as I crossed the line because I just wanted to get out of the rain and into dry clothes.

Not sure I would do another RnR race though.

I have to get used to training in all weather now though, because I will be training for Goofy in the dead of Winter here for the most part.

Just skimming though all of the posts. My GF and I went to this run, made the trip from TX to NYC for a couple of days then Providence for a couple of days. My first time in the area. Loved both places. This was the first RnR that I saw the Sag Wagon deal. Ive been to three others from 2009 to the present. Filled out my survey as not being a fan of it despite almost needing it. We had to walk the last 3 miles or so but finished in the time allowed. Personally if I could or cannot finish a run-on my own then I would not want a medal or anything like that because I would know I did not earn it. I did see some WISH shirts out on the course, may have to get me one. It was my first run in the rain. Did the sleet/snow/freezing temps in WDW in 2010, heat in TX and now rain in RI. Waiting to see what the weather will throw at us on our next run now. HaHaHa Congrats to all the runners and keep up the great work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter