• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Riverside VS French Quarter

Perdie

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are going on a disney cruise for my 30th b-day in february and we will be spending a day before and 2 days after at WDW-we are trying to decide between these 2 resorts-anyone have any opinions on which is better?

Thanks!!

They are sister resorts and basically the same other than POR has a old south flair and FQ has a New Orleans flavor, you pick the decor style you like best and they share facilities you can eat at or swim at either of them.
POR portion is larger overall and FQ is smaller, they both over boat service to DTD which is a pleasant trip.

Very, very similar.

You won't go wrong at either.

We really enjoy the quiet pools at POR. They are very serene and beautiful! :goodvibes

Both are great resorts, however, I can't help but suggest POR. It's a perfect resort for a couple. I love just strolling around taking in all the beautiful landscaping and such. The pathways are winding and shaded. It's actually quite romantic. Some people might complain about it's size but we never felt it was too big or too long of a walk to anything. Bus service was always good...food was great at Boatwright's . They have a great bar with entertainment in the evenings. I can't wait to get back! ;) Have a great time !

I'd suggest POFQ--- first to get on the bus,and first to get off. On our last trip, most from POR had to stand on the rides to the parks (bus was already standing room only by the time we reached 2nd POR stop (sometimes by the 1st). Although I like the look of POR better. This was in August though-- if it's a slow time of year, I'd consider POR.

I'd suggest POFQ--- first to get on the bus,and first to get off. On our last trip, most from POR had to stand on the rides to the parks (bus was already standing room only by the time we reached 2nd POR stop (sometimes by the 1st). Although I like the look of POR better. This was in August though-- if it's a slow time of year, I'd consider POR.

It's probably right with what time of year you go. We were last there the end of April 1st week of May. A bit slower than the summer months. This year we'll be there last week of Nov. which I hear is also one of the most quiet weeks of the year. So I guess we'll luck out again. I would suggest POFQ if you have young children along, 1. because it is a much smaller resort and everything is right there...bus stops, food court, pool. 2. It's very colorful and eye catching which children would be attracted to.
Isn't Disney just great ?!!!!!!:rotfl2:

I would do the day before at POR and the 2 days after at POFQ that way you can check them both out but still be right there.

We just got back from a stay at POFQ. The biggest reasons I would suggest FQ over RV is because of the size. FQ has 7 buildings and I believe RV has 39 So, no what building you get at FQ, everything is very close. The pool is themed on a more juvenile side, but the hot tub and pool bar is great. THey also have singing and a bar inside. The other biggest reason was the transportation. You are always first on and first off. There were a few times, when our bus was crowded after the first bus stop at RV, we did not even go to another, rather, just went straight to parks. We did go over to RV to see the gift shop and it was really nice, but you potentially would need to drive to it from a very distant building. Everything is just so close at FQ. Both resorts are very beautiful, though.

If you ask my DH, POR. He really HATES POFQ. I never did understand his reasoning. DD (5) has picked POR as her birthday resort for the last two years and again this year. I, personally, really like both.

I just wanted to voice my opinioin that even though these are sister resorts under the large umbrella of Port Orleans, they are not "basically the same" or "very, very similar". They share buses, a marina, a sit down restaurant and a boat to DTD. Other than that, these two resorts are very, very different.

French Quarter has a Mardi Gras theme and Riverside has a Southern Country/Plantation theme.

Riverside has TONS more trees than FQ. This is one of the reason why I prefer riverside.

Riverside's food court is much larger (and better IMHO since it offers more).

Riverside's gift shop is much larger. I like it better than FQ but FQ does has some Mardi Gras items that are cute.

Riverside's arcade is larger.

The pool areas are themed very differently. FQ is much more colorful and festive.

The lounges are very different. Scat Club (at FQ) feels more like a bar in the city. River Roost (at Riverside) feels more like a lounge (and has a giant screen TV with sports on it). I prefer Scat Club because it has more of a city bar feel.

Riverside has the marina and the sit down restaurant.

I think the buses are a moot point. Everyone always mentions that FQ is picked up first and dropped off first. Yes, you are picked up first, but you then have to sit on the bus and drive through all of Riverside (sometimes only the first stop) before you head to the parks. i'm not complaining or saying this is bad, I'm just saying that I think the buses are moot (actually at any resort).

Riverside has 5 quiet pools, FQ has none.

Riverside has twice the amount of rooms as FQ.

You can easily walk from one to the other. It's 7 minutes from food court to food court. We did it many times last week. I love walking along the river.

You can see the high fireworks from Epcot from FQ (Top floor of Bldg 3 facing the parking lot for best view).

Personally, I prefer Riverside more. And the only reason why I prefer Riverside more is because of the feeling I get inside when I'm there. I can't explain it. It just feels like . . . . . heaven maybe. I don't want to say it feels like home, cause it feels like vacation. But it feels like I am 100 Million miles away from all my worries and stresses and it also feels like a million miles away from the parks yet still in the middle of diseyworld.

With that said, I also love French Quarter and would choose that second if Riverside were not available (although this situation is usually the reverse). French Quarter is quite popular and sells out fast.

I found POR and FQ to be very different too. I didn't like the feel of POR at all. I didn't like the marina area which was the main hub with the food court, restaurant, boat launch etc.

I didn't like the feel of the main pool.

We loved FQ and will go back there next big trip. (we may sneak in a value trip this year).

I would have hated having to dodge the surreys every morning too if we were staying at POR. We rented one and had to keep ringing the bell for people to move aside and I was glad we weren't staying there.

We loved GF too where we honeymooned and people claim they don't like it there, so it's just a matter of taste.

Thanks for all the advice! I think we decided on French Quarter because it's smaller and more convenient since we are there such a short period of time and will probably hardly be in the room-it's better if everything is closer-and Riverside seems too big for this trip-maybe next time!! We are staying at Pop Century on the front end, to save money-of course this is when we'll be the most jetlagged and want to spend the most time in the room sleeping!! Oh well, we figure it's better to end on the better hotel....

Thanks again everyone!!
:ccat: :donald: :mickeyjum

POR -Loved the surrey's, never had to dodge any and didn't mind stepping aside a couple of times. Loved the marina being right in the center of everything. Love the spread out feel, made me feel like we were in a small quaint city, loved the pool, loved the food court, loved the size of the arcade, loved landscaping, loved our room. I do like the pool at POFQ, but we are staying at POR. I just think you get so much more than just moderate resort. Love it!

Love them both, my last visit to one was a stay at POFQ with DH 11/06. Beautiful 2nd floor room in bldg 5 facing the river. We just loved it. Walked to Boatrights for breakfast one morning, it was so peaceful. Also stayed 10/06 at POR with a group of 5 women. But have also stayed at POR multiple times. We prefer the AB rooms, only in Mansions one time. I like having the quiet pools, and larger grounds. Seems a little more private. The landscaping is so nice at POR, more of a city feel at POFQ. Buses, also good at both. We do have a car on some trips, that is always the fastest way to the parks and other resorts. Ok maybe the exception would be MK. Can't go wrong with either choice.

POFQ is the best its small, quiet, relaxing and the food is good.

I think you made a great choice. We just got back from our anniversary trip on Wednesday from POFQ. This was our first time here and we LOVED it. We plan to stay there on our next trip. It was so quiet there, and the beds were comfy. We never heard our neighbors. We have friends getting married next year and recommended this resort to them.

Now, if you want to sleep and rest, not sure that Pop is the best place. But, maybe you can sleep anywhere. Not me.

Happy 30th!! :bday: Mine is on Sept 13. Are you too young to be 30? I know I am!! :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter