• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Riverside OR French Quarter??? HEEEELLLLPPP!!

goofyintoronto

DIS Veteran
Hi folks! :wave2:

Im sooo confused. :eek: I cant decide between the two resorts. Im leaning towards POR because the pool is bigger, slide is faster, bigger food court, surrey bikes near by. But what sways me to FQ is the fact that its all refurbished (queen beds!), one bus stop (instead of multiple at POR), and the resort itself is smaller and more convenient.

Keep in mind its just me and my son, 11 yrs old. HEEEELP! For the life of me i cant decide!!

Which is better for us? Why?? :confused3

How much time are you really going to be spending at the resort? If the trip is based on going to the parks go with the place that gets you to/from the parks the easiest.

They are sister resorts so you are allowed to go between the two resorts, legally pool hop, eat in the restaurants, and enjoy the slide anytime the mood strikes.

In your place I would get the resort with the recently refurbished rooms and queen beds.

While you can take advantage of the other resorts amenities, you cannot sleep in someone else's bed.:rotfl2: Unless, all parties are of age and willingly consent to the idea.:lmao:

They are not so far apart that an afternoon strool to the pool is beyond reasonable. In fact, I think it is shorter than the one we had at CSR between our room and the food court and that was all within one resort, and we took that at least once a day.

I'm very biased and say POFQ! We just stayed at POR in February in Oak Manor and the rooms are in bad need of refurb . . .the grounds are beautiful, but, I really prefer POFQ because of its size and now that it has been refurbed we cannot wait to stay there in 13 days!!

I'm very biased and say POFQ! We just stayed at POR in February in Oak Manor and the rooms are in bad need of refurb . . .the grounds are beautiful, but, I really prefer POFQ because of its size and now that it has been refurbed we cannot wait to stay there in 13 days!!

LOL i see that you've stayed at POFQ quite a few times! hahaha.
Can you tell me what else you didnt like about POR?? Was it the buses? were they bad? I have little patience for buses, thats why as of this moment im leaning more towards POFQ. LOL! :lmao:

I really like the POFQ and the beignets in the food court are awesome! Just reminds me of New Orleans!

We've stayed a POFQ twice and really like it. The kids love the pool and the food court is top notch. I've only walked through Riverside, so I can't say how the rooms are, but the grounds are nice.

I'd go for POFQ if the beds and the refurb are important to you. You can still use the pools and the food court at POR, and it's just a 10 minute stroll to get there from POFQ. :goodvibes

The thing that gets me back to POFQ is the resort size. The pool is literally a 5 minute walk to any room. When you ride the boat to DTD, it leaves POFQ and heads to DTD, so that's a positive. The other thing that we like is the one bus stop. And the first bus stop. Nothing better than getting on the bus and knowing you're most likely going to have a seat. And if not, you will have a seat once folks get off at POR.

Having stayed at both, I would say that if my family of five could stay to French Quarter, that is where we would stay. I prefer the size, the fact that they have their own dedicated MK bus stop, and that the rooms are refurbed. I would get a room over on the POR side so you can get to POR quicker for their pool.

I much prefer POR over POFQ. I like the gift shop better, the food court better, the pool better, the overall feel better and the bar.

But I booked my Sept. trip at POFQ because I wanted to experience a refurbed room and POR would be getting worked on and I don't like to be at a resort during what I consider a major refurb (whole building closed at a time).

I figure I can always walk over to POR if I want.

My family is staying for the 3rd time this year at Riverside but if I am soooooo upset that we are too large a family to try the refurbed rooms. I say French quarter.

The thing that gets me back to POFQ is the resort size. The pool is literally a 5 minute walk to any room. When you ride the boat to DTD, it leaves POFQ and heads to DTD, so that's a positive. The other thing that we like is the one bus stop. And the first bus stop. Nothing better than getting on the bus and knowing you're most likely going to have a seat. And if not, you will have a seat once folks get off at POR.

As you can see from my ticker I have two trips planned for POFQ within the next few months. My reasons for choosing POFQ are for all the same reasons, plus the newly refurbished rooms. The last time we stayed at PORS we were in the Bayous and they were really in the need of a rehab. I like PORS's food court and pool better, but it's not that far to walk over there from POFQ. Being sister resorts you can legally use both pools. PORS is just too big and some of the rooms are just too far from the main building. Also I prefer the Bayou section at PORS and am always afraid I'm going to be stuck in the Mansions. I love everything about POFQ (except that they don't have a TS restaruant:rolleyes1). The fact that POFQ is the first bus stop is the main drawing card though. The last time we were at PORS we had horrible bus service. I like knowing that I'm going to be able to get a seat in the mornings.

The FQ is the quitest of the two. The Single bus stop and resort size are also big poinys on FQ favor.

We were there last July 5-12 and never had to waite more than 10-15 minute going to any of the parks. Coming back at closing at the MK was a different story.

DWW

LOL i see that you've stayed at POFQ quite a few times! hahaha.
Can you tell me what else you didnt like about POR?? Was it the buses? were they bad? I have little patience for buses, thats why as of this moment im leaning more towards POFQ. LOL! :lmao:

When we stayed there the two resorts shared busses. The first bus stop was always the one at POFQ. We would walk over to POFQ get breakfast and get our bus there to make sure to get a seat.

We have stayed at POR 2x. It is usually just me and my grandson that go to Disney. I know I could not stay at POFQ with him now, because he is 12 yo and he would not like the kiddie slide at POFQ. From what I hear, it seems to be for littler kids. The slide at POR is a better thrill and the water slides are kind of important to him, lol. He loves swimming on vacation.

Still, the refurb at POFQ and it being the 1st bus stop sure does give it an edge. I always thought I would choose POR over POFQ because of the slide, of all things, but at this point, if someone told me I had to choose between the two, I might go with POFQ and walk to the POR pool every day.

Just tell yourself going in that you are going to have to be very patient with the buses at either resort and it's going to be aggravating, but it's not like we have a choice, lol. All resorts have some kind of transportation downfall, some worse than others. It takes lots and lots of patience and I try to psyche myself up for this before each trip. Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
tink

I've stayed at both and it's a bit annoying because regardless of when you get on the bus, it's packed and a long ride. Especially at the end of the night.

That said, we prefer POR on the Alligator Bayou side. It's awesome. We like the bar as well with the piano player. But POFQ has a fun jazz band so it's fun too.

Mudslides at POR are yummmmy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter