Riverside or FQ?

IMO you can't go wrong with either. We love POFQ ( it is where went on our honeymoon)but POR would be next choice on a trip.
We usually only eat breakfast at the resort and haven't been to Boatwrights on our last 5 trips. We do however go up to the River Roost in POR several times to see Bob's show. Plus as a PP said you can use the pools at both.
Regarding the bus service we have noticed that we have shared less with POR in the peak times on our last several trips as compared to the 1st three.

I agree that both are great (but where in WDW isn't?)! We stayed at POR first, and loved the beauty of the grounds ... it truly is a lovely area. I can't say for sure on the transportation situation, but I don't have a memory of being put off by it, either. The second time we stayed there, we were at POFQ. We stayed there specifically because we had my parents with us. My mom needed to be picked up for dialysis while we were there, and she had no problem making her way around to get to the pick up area on her own, and it was nice and compact for her to move about. We were there in Oct., so the crowds were low, so we had no issues with the paths, etc. They were both very well themed, and beautiful resorts! Have a lovely trip! Christmas at WDW is so amazing!!!

Hands down FQ over Riverside. We just got back from FQ and we stayed at Riverside last September.

There was construction happening at FQs main lobby, but it'll be done by August.

You can take the boat to dd or riverside. Riverside is walkable as well. You can use the pools at both resorts.

Have stayed at both. We all love FQ better, but if it is a decent price difference due to discounts then I would absolutely stay at POR instead. The extra money saved can be used on a great night out for the family at something like Mickey's BBQ or the Polynesian's Luau.

I agree that both are great (but where in WDW isn't?)! We stayed at POR first, and loved the beauty of the grounds ... it truly is a lovely area. I can't say for sure on the transportation situation, but I don't have a memory of being put off by it, either. The second time we stayed there, we were at POFQ. We stayed there specifically because we had my parents with us. My mom needed to be picked up for dialysis while we were there, and she had no problem making her way around to get to the pick up area on her own, and it was nice and compact for her to move about. We were there in Oct., so the crowds were low, so we had no issues with the paths, etc. They were both very well themed, and beautiful resorts! Have a lovely trip! Christmas at WDW is so amazing!!!

Yay! I'm so excited! :) thank you sooo much for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

IMO you can't go wrong with either. We love POFQ ( it is where went on our honeymoon)but POR would be next choice on a trip.
We usually only eat breakfast at the resort and haven't been to Boatwrights on our last 5 trips. We do however go up to the River Roost in POR several times to see Bob's show. Plus as a PP said you can use the pools at both.
Regarding the bus service we have noticed that we have shared less with POR in the peak times on our last several trips as compared to the 1st three.

Great to know, thanks!

Have stayed at both. We all love FQ better, but if it is a decent price difference due to discounts then I would absolutely stay at POR instead. The extra money saved can be used on a great night out for the family at something like Mickey's BBQ or the Polynesian's Luau.

Absolutely! A Luau sounds amazing :) def something to consider. Hmmm....

As a PP sort of hinted. IF, you go on a general public discount offer, generally speaking French Quarter does not really get them.

We were booked at FQ for our trip in May, but when the deal was released in January Riverside was 30% off the room, French Quarter was 5%.

Made a pretty big difference in the price, and so we switched to Riverside.

If you are on a PIN or a Deal that applies to either, well, then that's not even a worry ;)

I stayed at both and prefer riverside. It has a quiet pool better entertainment and better food court

We stayed at POR last trip and I didn't like it. The room was beautiful and it was definitely quiet. We were in a building far from the main part, which meant we rarely filled our mugs. We only went swimming once because the kids didn't want to "walk all that way." We were rather close to a bus stop, though, which was convenient. We just prefer being closer to the main entrance, I guess. This time we booked POFQ and it sounds like it will be ideal for our family's needs.

We like both resorts, but for us POR edges out POFQ because the extra amenities are located there like Bike and boat rentals. We enjoy walking around the resort and even if you are at the back of the resort it is a measly 10 minute walk to the FC area, our DD's enjoy walking over the bridge and seeing the river. I would disagree with a couple of PP who said that the food courts are similar, with POR having a create-your-own omelet station for breakfast and then create-your-own pasta for lunch and dinner is much better choices then POFQ. So if you do stay at POFQ, make sure to try POR FC:) Both resorts are really nice, so you cannot go wrong.

A co-worker suggested POFQ because of it's compact size. We originally booked and then watched You Tube videos and switched to POR. After a few other changes, we are back at POFQ. It sounds like we would be happy at either. At POR we prefer the look of AB over the mansions but read about lack of storage space because of the trundle bed. I like to unpack and we are there for 13 days.

This will be our first time staying on site and we have not been to WDW in 10 years. We plan on spending a lot of time at Downtown Disney and love the idea of taking the boat. We also decided not to rent a car because of having the boat or the bus transportation.

Question: we would like to visit a lot of the resorts to look at the Christmas decorations - how easy is it to get to them? Thanks.

Question: we would like to visit a lot of the resorts to look at the Christmas decorations - how easy is it to get to them? Thanks.

There is no transportation from POFQ to any of the other resorts so it will take a stop off at a park or DTD first. One thing we will do is go to MK for the day, then do the monorail loop and have dinner at one of the resorts. Or go to AK for the day, take a bus to one of the Epcot resorts for dinner then walk to Epcot for the evening. At the end of the night take the bus back to our resort.

A co-worker suggested POFQ because of it's compact size. We originally booked and then watched You Tube videos and switched to POR. After a few other changes, we are back at POFQ. It sounds like we would be happy at either. At POR we prefer the look of AB over the mansions but read about lack of storage space because of the trundle bed. I like to unpack and we are there for 13 days..

Have you checked out www.portorleans..org? The rooms at POR have been refurbished with queen beds and the rooms in Alligator Bayou have Murphy beds not trundles any more. We found that the rooms had plenty of storage & with the quiet pools right by the room it was a perfect fit for us. We took a carriage ride around POFQ & found it to be a bit too compact for us & we didn't like the look when we walked around the resort one night. But that's just our opinion.

We were just there in April for 2 different trips & are planning another one for October. We always stay in the preferred section but may try the mansions next trip.

Have a great vacation.

We stayed at POR last trip and I didn't like it. The room was beautiful and it was definitely quiet. We were in a building far from the main part, which meant we rarely filled our mugs. We only went swimming once because the kids didn't want to "walk all that way." We were rather close to a bus stop, though, which was convenient. We just prefer being closer to the main entrance, I guess. This time we booked POFQ and it sounds like it will be ideal for our family's needs.

And this is exactly why we are staying at FQ! I know, I know...there's walking to be expected while at Disney. And that's fine, in the parks. However, when I get back to my room I love to be able to walk a short distance from the bus drop off/pick up to my room, and to the food court to fill my mug, etc. Thanks for your input :) I'm sure POR is beautiful, but for this particular quick trip (only four days) at Christmas, I think that FQ is just what we are looking for!

A co-worker suggested POFQ because of it's compact size. We originally booked and then watched You Tube videos and switched to POR. After a few other changes, we are back at POFQ. It sounds like we would be happy at either. At POR we prefer the look of AB over the mansions but read about lack of storage space because of the trundle bed. I like to unpack and we are there for 13 days.

This will be our first time staying on site and we have not been to WDW in 10 years. We plan on spending a lot of time at Downtown Disney and love the idea of taking the boat. We also decided not to rent a car because of having the boat or the bus transportation.

Yeah, we finally decided on FQ for this particular trip. I'd love to try them all one day! We are staying our first time on property in September at Wilderness Lodge, and are looking forward to the convenience for sure.

If you are wanting to visit the resorts, I'm sure boats, ferrys and monorails could get you to pretty much any of them. However, I am no expert! ;) I've just seen a lot of them, had to stop off at several using the transportation services! We are def going to tour Grand Floridian and go back to see decorations at WL when we go for Christmas! It will be beautiful! Enjoy your trip :)

There is no transportation from POFQ to any of the other resorts so it will take a stop off at a park or DTD first. One thing we will do is go to MK for the day, then do the monorail loop and have dinner at one of the resorts. Or go to AK for the day, take a bus to one of the Epcot resorts for dinner then walk to Epcot for the evening. At the end of the night take the bus back to our resort.

Good to know! Thanks for sharing :)

My favorite resort in all Disney is French Quarter. Beautiful, small and with good bus service.

I went in May to visit the resorts without any park passes and was able to get to all of them via bus, monorail or boat. You do not have to go to DTD just another park to catch transportation. I stayed at ASMu caught bus to MK than rode monorail to all monorail resorts. Caught bus to HS to see Epcot resorts. Caught bus to Epcot then one to POR to see all DTD resorts. You can figure out what works for you.

Sorry meant to quote those that said you HAD to transfer at DTD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter