• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rivers Of Light Opening Team - How far ahead do they hire?

Being an accountant at a large resort in my previous life.......the thought of overtime amassed on that day made my head hurt.

That is true, they could run test showings of the show by keeping the park open later...that seems like it would take a lot of planning though. Can't just tell everyone working that afternoon "OK - tonight you need to stay an extra 2 hours."

It happens all the time, especially at Magic Kingdom. If you were scheduled for park close and the hours were extended, you knew you were staying later. It wasn't really that bad though because it a lot of times ends up being overtime pay.

So, when they stay open later, unscheduled, how do you know? Do they make an announcement?

So, when they stay open later, unscheduled, how do you know? Do they make an announcement?

When we were at AK they put up sandwich board signs on main walkways announcing extended hours.

Does anyone have any idea of how many people the theater will hold? In all of the pics I have seen from the various sites it looks like seating will be really limited.

SO - how do you soft open a show like this - it's a show that will take place after dark, in a park that typically closes before dark - isn't that right? They would have to extend park hours to run the show allowing the public in.

We have been privileged to get in on a couple of soft openings over the years. One thing we have learned is if a cast member approaches you and says "Would you like to follow me?", Go.

My family is going in September so I've been closely monitoring when this will open. I know they say Spring but you honestly never know. That being said I've been stalking the disney website to see what the hours for AK are. I happened to notice today that the hours for spring are actually extended to 7, 7:30, 8 pm.

However the hours for AK for August (the closest I can look to my trip), closing time is back down to 5pm. BUT it looks like good news.

I need to make ADR next month and if AK is really going to close at 5, we will probably have dinner at DS after the park closes. But if they're going to be open late, I need to make reservations at AK so we can stay for ROL. I can't wait for a formal announcement.

However the hours for AK for August (the closest I can look to my trip), closing time is back down to 5pm. BUT it looks like good news.

While WDW posts hours 6 months out, they frequently just use last yeaar hours as a basis. They will likely be messing around with the closing hours for AK all summer. My advice would be book your ADR at DHS, and then watch for updates at AK and then book when the opportunity comes. You can always cancel the DHS one.

I know a few people who have interviewed to be part of the opening team, and they don't fall into this range. Perhaps it's just for the performers?

I also saw the flyers advertising about the new team, and didn't see a height minimum mentioned. Only the usual transfer guideline stuff.

We have been privileged to get in on a couple of soft openings over the years. One thing we have learned is if a cast member approaches you and says "Would you like to follow me?", Go.

Exactly! I was a part of the soft reopening of Hall of Presidents when Obama was added in 2009. It was not expected to be open for another week or two. But when I walked through the area, there was white sandwich board sign up and the outside door was open and a CM was there. I approached and the CM invited us in!

It was unexpected and I was thrilled being the middle school Social Studies teacher that I am!

My family is going in September so I've been closely monitoring when this will open. I know they say Spring but you honestly never know. That being said I've been stalking the disney website to see what the hours for AK are. I happened to notice today that the hours for spring are actually extended to 7, 7:30, 8 pm.

I need to make ADR next month and if AK is really going to close at 5, we will probably have dinner at DS after the park closes. But if they're going to be open late, I need to make reservations at AK so we can stay for ROL. I can't wait for a formal announcement.
I just read earlier on a different site that the Disney app (android version) shows a Tusker house ADR option with ROL reserved seating. I'm scouring this board for more info... But that would solve your problems

I'm also going in september, and I don't think we can trust the park hours yet. Between, no Wishes, no mentions of RoL or night Safari, AK still scheduled as 5pm closing, uncomfirmed MNSSHP...I think the calendar will still get changed drastically.

It's annoying because of ADRs, but if I were you, I'd think carefully before making a dinner ADR on your AK days, unless you have park hopper

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter