River Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 30 years we looked forward to going to river country every year. I have so many fond memories of chasing girls during our Spring Break trips.
Tri please tell me you took a few souvies, that is depressing to see that kind of stuff just forgotten about.
After about 20 years we met some guys from New York showed us a secret way to get in from then on it was our place for a week we would sneek in during the day and after dinner.
It brought tears to my eyes to see it in such a state. Just raze it and use it for new enjoyment don't let it sit there for those of us to wonder.

Tri thank you for giving me this gift I read you have not been around much lately I wish you well and hope to see more from your perspective.
ITCH

I consider myself lucky to have been at River Country before it closed!

I will always remember Goofy going down the water slide!:)

TC:cool1:

We weren't lucky enough to get down to RC while it was open. It is so sad that Disney hasn't made an effort to do something with the land other than let it decay.

I wonder how you got there. I mean now it is completely cut off from the rest of the campground.Unless you jumped a fence or something. Sorry that this question was asked so repeatedly.:thumbsup2

I haven't read the entire thread, yet, so this may have already been addressed. I understand the possible reasons for closing, but it seems like it would be too dangerous for people to go in and try to renovate. It would probably work if they went in on large equipment and just bulldoze, but it seems like there would be too many critters (snakes, gators) to clear the slides individually by hand to save them. Thank you so much for the pictures! I can't wait for the Discovery Island edition!

I haven't read the entire thread, yet, so this may have already been addressed. I understand the possible reasons for closing, but it seems like it would be too dangerous for people to go in and try to renovate. It would probably work if they went in on large equipment and just bulldoze, but it seems like there would be too many critters (snakes, gators) to clear the slides individually by hand to save them. Thank you so much for the pictures! I can't wait for the Discovery Island edition!

Too dangerous? Too many critters?

Have you ever seen the land before WDW was built? :goodvibes

Also, this is what expert crews do for a living. Have you ever read about how they built the Chunnel?

They can easily make over the pool area and change house. They already use the snack area and the eating area for Mickey's BBQ. All they would have to do is clean up the area that used to use the Bay Lake. Just dismantling the worn stuff would be a huge improvement.

Then at least all the guests using Fort Wilderness and the cabins could have a nice pool area besides what is now available.

This whole area is such a slap in the face to the WDW guests. When everyone, well mostly everyone, going to Mickey's Backyard BBQ would peer through the green tarps lining the area. Heck, we had to walk through the ticket booth area to get in. Very strange and very odd that more attention has not been paid.

So very sad. Such great childhood memories.

Great pictures....I look at them like once a year, and it never gets old..Well river country does .....but the pictures are incredible! How on earth did u get them?????? Please tell me!:wizard:

Makes one wonder wny this property has been abandoned for soooo long. The pictures of the disrepair are great, in the sense that all can see what has happened. Too bad the pictures aren't of the way it should be!:hippie:

... I'd love to see the plaque given a place of honor :thumbsup2
I agree with treating the plaque with some decency out of respect for all hard working CMs, past and present.

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting RC when it was open. As many have already noted, RC in its current state of disrepair is kind of spooky and reminiscent of a scene from a post-apocalyptic sci-fi film. Thanks for the excellent post, Tri-circle-D.

Thanks for posting the pics. I remember going to River Country several times a year with my Grandmother. She loved taking the grandkids there.

I agree with treating the plaque with some decency out of respect for all hard working CMs, past and present.

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting RC when it was open. As many have already noted, RC in its current state of disrepair is kind of spooky and reminiscent of a scene from a post-apocalyptic sci-fi film. Thanks for the excellent post, Tri-circle-D.

It is sad to see the plaque just lying there.. in the debris. Those cast members worked hard, put forth great spirit and tried their best to have their names displayed on the plaque.

Disney should respect their collective efforts.

I Love the Pictures!! I can remember going to RC back in the late 70's or early 80's. It was a lot of fun!

Recently after Googling whatever happened to River County, I came upon this thread. And although in 2005 Disney said it was permanently closed, rumors have been circling they will be finally doing something with this land. Does anyone know about this? I have to say, seeing the employees recognition chart just scrapped on the floor was very depressing. :littleangel:

Maybe all this exposure will get Disney to finally consider leveling it and building something worthwhile since they will never reopen this great little park.

The DIS Unplugged reported that there was activity there bulldozers were reported to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter