rising fawn GA, Chattanooga TN budget activites?

auralia

DIS Veteran
I am getting my husband a hang gliding weekend at lookout mountain. I rented one of their loft cabins at the hang gliding place for about 130 a night (full kitchen so I will make breakfast and lunch). DH will be doing his thing from 730am to noon and then has to be back at 6 for his mountain flights. So we have about 4-5 hours to go do things between his lessons. The day we get there we will have all afternoon as well as one full day w/o him doing the hang gliding. I am planning on going to the ruby falls and or racooon mt caverns as dh and dd love this kind of thing and perhaps taking DS for a ride on the chattanooga choo choo as he loves trains. But other than that I am clueless despite searching and looking for groupons.

I have spent alot btwn the cabin and the hang gliding. It is very much value to dollar. If the experience is worth it I don't mind paying but will have already spent close to 900 in accommodations and DH's gift. Money spent here isn't being saved for disney in 2 years :) so always thinking about that!

My kids are almost 5 and 8 if that helps, thanks for any info!

There's no ride on the Choo Choo, you can go see it at the hotel but it's not moving. There's a model train museum there but it will cost you money. The aquarium is really nice and big, but again, more money. Raccoon mountain is fun, but won't take too long as it's a small tour. Are you all actually going to go through Lookout Mountain or just DH?

You could always head down to Cloudland Canyon State Park. From the hang gliding place just head south about 35 minutes and it will deadend into another highway, hang a right and its a mile or so on the right. Lots of great hiking trails and waterfalls to see. Only cost about $5.00 to get in.

http://www.tvrail.com/pages/Directions-Chattanooga-Grand-Junction/

This is the train ride I was referring to.

Yes we are all going I rented one of the cabins at the hang gliding place with a full kitchen and upstairs loft. Dh will be busy 2-3 of the 5 days from 7:30 to noon and then again at 6pm on 2 of the days. the $ is there we don't have any credit card debt but the budget in me always looks to cut corners.

Last edited:
Ok. That's the Tennessee railway but not the "actual" choo choo. You can go visit the hotel though!

The Tennessee Valley Railway is neat, especially for train buffs. I would also recommend Rock City for your kids, which is pretty close to Ruby Falls. If you like aquariums, the Tennessee Aquarium is a good one.

Goggle riding cardboard in park for downtown Chattanooga. Don't know where you would get the card board, but the kids would love it an it is free!

Goggle riding cardboard in park for downtown Chattanooga. Don't know where you would get the card board, but the kids would love it an it is free!

This is at Renaissance Park, which is also near Coolidge Park on the North Shore in downtown. You might look at the game schedule for the Chattanooga Lookouts if you are into baseball. There is also the Chattanooga Zoo. If you are looking at Raccoon Mtn and Ruby Falls, you may be interested in Sequyoah Caverns, which is south of Rising Fawn in north Alabama.

Cloudland Canyon is amazing and there is Little River Canyon in Ft. Payne, AL.

Last edited:
The Chattanooga Zoo is quite inexpensive for a zoo which is small but has a lot to see and do.

Chatt Zoo is fairly cheap and small, easy to do in less than 2 hours. And they have a carousel and a train the kids can ride.
The Aquarium is very nice but a little pricey.

Isn't Sequyoah Caverns closed now?

You're right! We took my niece and nephew a few years back but didn't realize it closed in 2013. Bummer. I remember going there on field trips when I was a child.

Don't Forget the Free NightFall concerts in Miller Park on Friday nights. I second the Chattanooga Lookouts games to if we are in town. Cooliage Park is free to visits too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter