• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Riding RSR after dark

mysteriouspnai said:
Huh. So I wonder if that means they shut down the FP line after 4 PM? I wonder if RSR still breaks down a lot and if there's occasionally a day where it doesn't shut down. Since CMs allow people to come back if the ride shut down during their FP time, I would imagine that there could theoretically be a fair amount of people returning back after 4. And if the ride happens to not break down the entire day, then what? Do CMs not let people in the FP line after 4 because the ride didn't break down?

That's what I was wondering. If the latest return time printed on a FP is approx. 4pm and the ride is open until park closing at 10pm then who is standing in the FP line at 9pm??
Or do they just close the FP return line and run just the standby and SR lines?
If the FP line is open in the evenings and I turn up with a 4pm FP will they turn me away? - I am guessing that they will as return times are being enforced

That's what I was wondering. If the latest return time printed on a FP is approx. 4pm and the ride is open until park closing at 10pm then who is standing in the FP line at 9pm??
Or do they just close the FP return line and run just the standby and SR lines?
If the FP line is open in the evenings and I turn up with a 4pm FP will they turn me away? - I am guessing that they will as return times are being enforced

I've never seen the FP return line closed in the evenings. The ride broke down at least once every day we were there. We had three early entry attempts and we struck out each morning (ride down). So I think people were using FP all the way to park closing. There are also people using child-swap passes into the evening... those do not have a window, just used same day.

My guess: they have shortened the last return times to mid-afternoon to allow for breakdowns, and really chip away at Standby in the busy afternoons. They would not want a 120+ minute Standby dragging on past park closing, right?

I think single rider is your best bet. I have read on this board that kids need to be 10 to ride SR. But I saw no evidence of this and can't find it officially. Obviously your kid needs to be able to board, belt, and bail on there own. My 9 and 7 year olds rode SR once with no problem (after they had been on with us 3-4 times).

Hope I don't get flamed there. I have read some rants about people needing to help Single Rider kids. I personally don't have a problem helping others' kids, it's Disneyland, but obviously some do. I can see both sides: kids should be old enough to ride solo, with ride experience under their belt. Not just for safety and comfort, but to keep the line moving. I just don't get where the 10-year-old thing comes from. That seems old to me. Maybe someone knows.

FP was sold out by 10am this morning just an FYI so I don't recommend waiting around too long to get in line

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

SeaDis said:
I've never seen the FP return line closed in the evenings. The ride broke down at least once every day we were there. We had three early entry attempts and we struck out each morning (ride down). So I think people were using FP all the way to park closing. There are also people using child-swap passes into the evening... those do not have a window, just used same day.

My guess: they have shortened the last return times to mid-afternoon to allow for breakdowns, and really chip away at Standby in the busy afternoons. They would not want a 120+ minute Standby dragging on past park closing, right?

I think single rider is your best bet. I have read on this board that kids need to be 10 to ride SR. But I saw no evidence of this and can't find it officially. Obviously your kid needs to be able to board, belt, and bail on there own. My 9 and 7 year olds rode SR once with no problem (after they had been on with us 3-4 times).

Hope I don't get flamed there. I have read some rants about people needing to help Single Rider kids. I personally don't have a problem helping others' kids, it's Disneyland, but obviously some do. I can see both sides: kids should be old enough to ride solo, with ride experience under their belt. Not just for safety and comfort, but to keep the line moving. I just don't get where the 10-year-old thing comes from. That seems old to me. Maybe someone knows.

Thanks for this, I'm not travelling with kids so SR line is fine for me

What this does tell me though is that everyone standing in the FP line in the evenings are presenting FPs well outside of their return window so this must be one of the few attractions where they are a little more lenient

I wouldn't even waste my time with FP, especially since you don't have kids. We did single rider our whole trip - and I have two kids (7 & 12). The only time we got a FP, the ride broke down for the rest of the day.:( The SR seemed so much quicker than the other lines.

I wouldn't even waste my time with FP, especially since you don't have kids. We did single rider our whole trip - and I have two kids (7 & 12). The only time we got a FP, the ride broke down for the rest of the day.:( The SR seemed so much quicker than the other lines.

Thanks for your help :goodvibes
I'm just going to hit the SR line after dark :thumbsup2

Did you let your 7 year old child ride alone then? I'm not sure I could do that.

We were always in the same car - but not side-by-side. He always wanted the front, so either dh or I would sit in the seat behind him. Only once did my 12yo get split up from us and finish her ride before us. Not sure if you know how they load, but the seats are three across, and normally groups are even numbers, so that leaves the far right seat open. It actually works out really well.

I'm just wondering what the best strategy is for getting a FP with a return time of around 8pm or, am I just better jumping in the single rider line?
Last week, we hopped in the single rider line after dark, last Wednesday. Standby was posted at 60 or so; we waited just under 17 minutes in the SR line. The Cast Member mentioned that Tuesday and Wednesday were their lightest evenings. Thursday also used to be good, but the AP evening hours they are hosting this month have put an end to that.

I would hit the SR line a couple times in the am and once at night.We hit this on a Saturday and never waited more than 10 minutes or so.The SR ride is the way to go.Theres two different cars they are a little different so try for both.I love this ride you can SR it to death. We were there for President's Day.My son is a CM in CA.He won't ride with us says the "crazy girls" work in Carsland...

We were there yesterday and got a fastpass at 1030am with a return time of 10:10PM, so they definitely have ones with late times. We were the last 100 to get a fastpass because they blocked it for a while while they were checking how many they had left and then they counted 95 people and let them in to get one.

I was there today. Park opened at 8 and at 9:45 fast passes were at about a 8pm return time. Not sure what was left since our fast pass was up at 10:00 and then we went to DL for the rest of the day.

rockchick04 said:
We were there yesterday and got a fastpass at 1030am with a return time of 10:10PM, so they definitely have ones with late times. We were the last 100 to get a fastpass because they blocked it for a while while they were checking how many they had left and then they counted 95 people and let them in to get one.

Oh that's interesting
Previous posters have reported return times of no later than 4pm
Perhaps they are getting less breakdowns now so are willing to issue FPs with later return times?
What time was the park closing when you got your 10.10pm return time?

disneyfreak202 said:
I was there today. Park opened at 8 and at 9:45 fast passes were at about a 8pm return time. Not sure what was left since our fast pass was up at 10:00 and then we went to DL for the rest of the day.

Thanks for the info - it seems that evening FPs are now available :)

If the park closes at 10:00pm, when is the latest they will let you get in line for ride RSR?

Just wanted to say that if you can arrange for your first ride on RSR to be at night, I think that's optimum. Our first ride was at night and it was especially magical and exhilarating. That said, it's not the easiest thing to arrange.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter