• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

Managed to fall asleep around 2am, and woke up at 6am right on time to take my medicine. Who needs an alarm when you have coughing to get you up? XD

View from my room at ASMo looks relatively good. The tree at the end of the row is definitely damaged, but I have no interest in going out to see how bad. It just wasn't that low yesterday. The picture I keep trying to upload is too big, but basically the tree is no touching the walkway on the second floor. Doesn't look like it's fallen over completely though.

So happy to see all of you checking in with only minor damage reported! (Except whomever had to change rooms - that stinks but glad they had a dry room available for you!!)

Looking forward to seeing more of things today!

For those asking about pools - during Matthew at Poly, they cleared the quiet pool and had it open around 3 in the afternoon (the worst of the storm ended around 11, rain ended around 2?). The lava pool opened later in the day after regular curfew locked out staff arrived.

Curfew was originally supposed to be until 6, but it was lifted earlier. 30 minutes after it lifted early (around 3), hords of CMs descended on the parks and resorts to turn things back around! They worked so quickly it was amazing. Will be interesting to see what today brings!

Managed to fall asleep around 2am, and woke up at 6am right on time to take my medicine. Who needs an alarm when you have coughing to get you up? XD

View from my room at ASMo looks relatively good. The tree at the end of the row is definitely damaged, but I have no interest in going out to see how bad. It just wasn't that low yesterday. The picture I keep trying to upload is too big, but basically the tree is no touching the walkway on the second floor. Doesn't look like it's fallen over completely though.
Fuzzeh - My heart goes out to you. I was single for many years and took some vacations alone. I can only imagine your stress. I'm sorry you hardly slept. I'm glad you have power. I hate the complication you had last night of neighbors outside. I hope they were not the reason for your being awake late.

Staying in 80s building at pop. Looking outside this AM there is no debris at all on the pool side but the opposite side has a fair amount of leaves, palm fronds, some pine branches down. Nothing major. All of the paths are dry and have been since 430. Just little gusts of wind. We never lost power either.

I'm at POFQ building 4, I didn't sleep a bit last night the wind seemed like it was going to blow the door open. I poked my head out this morning and lots of debris, nothing major. I saw an exit sign dangling by a wire at the end of my 2nd floor walkway. The wind is still kicked up a notch so I'm not sure when they'll be out there to assess everything. I'm just glad we are all okay and positive news is coming in from back home in the Tampa Bay Area.

All-Star Movies Update

Seen one tree downed and there was a lot of debris out on the paths. Nothing major I think. The ground is already starting to dry or is dry. Nothing new to be announced from Disney. Hearing rumors of damage at other resorts but nothing confirmed.

I've heard through another group that the Poly had a good sized tree come down and bungalow 19 lost its roof overnight. Trees down at Grand Floridian as well.

It'll be interesting to see pics of the aftermath in the morning, I hope everyone made it through safely!
I saw the photo of the tree down at Poly. It looked to be one of the trees that was planted vs. grew so that may have contributed to it coming down, roots hadn't taken hold. Could be wrong too. Hope no one was in the Bungalow!

Glad everyone is OK and damage is limited. I am arriving to the Grand Floridian on the 19th.

I saw the photo of the tree down at Poly. It looked to be one of the trees that was planted vs. grew so that may have contributed to it coming down, roots hadn't taken hold. Could be wrong too. Hope no one was in the Bungalow!
@rteetz reported all Bungalow guests had been relocated to regular rooms prior to Irma's arrival. Disney was very proactive in protecting them!! :)

At Kidani, still quite windy, rain stopped. Never lost power. Many trees down on the savanna, in fact one just fell right now.( The trunk in the forefront is not a fallen tree, its there all the time)
Having been through a Hurricane before sometimes trees fall well after due to the sodden ground. They'll stand up to the Hurricane winds and then fall in a slight breeze later.

Glad to hear the damage seems minimal and all are safe. Take care while venturing out during clean up.

We have a computer pool view room at Pop! and when I look outside I can't see anything awry - it's just still windy.

The CM have been awesome this whole time! From taking my 9 year-old to see characters and play lobby games yesterday morning to the great attitudes and strong drinks (what happens at Petals stays at Petals). I'm just so incredibly impressed and grateful for the way they've handled Irma!

(Side note: I named my banshee Irma. Hahaha).

Checking in from Pop. I've been asleep since midnightish, but to the best of my knowledge we never lost power or wifi. Slept through the whole danged storm! Peeked outside this AM, lots of leaves on the ground and a few twigs but no real "branches" that I could see - and the records and letters are still firmly anchored to the building.

Still pretty windy on our side of pop centry but its quieted down a lot. I see a few snapped branches but no trees down but this was just from a quick window glance. We have a giant group of trees in front, obstructing everything. Heard city curfew if supposed to lift at 8am but they are urging those to stay inside and off theroad.

We are over at POFQ building 1... lots of debris in the car park and covering the external paths but no obvious damage to any of the cars/buildings. We have a tree leaning at 45 degrees outside the room that's going to need someone to look at once it's safe for them to do so... luckily the way it's leaning is away from the building and the car park so not an immediate concern.
It was interesting trying to sleep through the noise but I hope everyone got a little sleep and is safe this morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter