• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Riding in the front of the monorail

disneymom3

<font color=green> I think I could adjust!! <br><f
I know there is a limit of foru people to ride with the driver of the monorail, but does anyone know if that includes babies in arms? My DD and I got to ride up there our last trip, but they were all out of the asst certificates and she'd really like to get one--what a fun thing for the scrapbook! And my DH would dearly love to ride up there too, but we have three kids. Now I certaily could ride elsewhere with the baby, but am just curious if he counts or not. Anybody know?

My understanding is 4 "people" plus the driver. I would take that too mean babies, kids and adults. I could be wrong?

It may depend on the driver's discretion. There are only two small bench seats up front along the contours of the "nose", so there simply isn't room for five people to sit. A baby on a lap would not appear to pose a problem, but I'm not sure how firm the "four people" policy is.

Although there is plenty of room for four, plus a baby, they do mean four only. We tried this the last trip, and the platform attendent (not the driver) got a bit snippy. We had to send the baby back to sit with my MIL in a standard car.

Having spent a year and a half in Monorails, I can tell you that we mean Four Bodies. Big, small, doesn't matter. As long as they count on your tax return, they count here too. :)

I apologise if any host/hostess gets a bit snippy... unfortunetly, a lot of people will try and argue with us, and whatnot. We encounter more problems and situations over the front cab... you really would be surprised at the stuff we have to endure. So, while it's no excuse for snippiness... that's why you may have encountered it. (Not saying that you were arguing... just saying that we get it all the time, so it's a force of habit)

While I'm on the topic... for those of you who might not be aware... to ride in the front with the Pilot on the Express or Epcot beams, simply go up to a Monorail Host/Hostess, and ask them politely if your group may ride in the front. They will either direct you to the person in charge, or let you know if it is available. If it is already taken, you may ask to ride in the next available train. Please note that the front cab is not always available, all strollers must be folded, and has a maximum of four bodies. If your group has more than four, the extras may ride in the regular car. Trips are one way only, as there might be others waiting at the next stop to ride.

For the Resort Monorail, the policy is a little different. Each resort has a train color that is assigned to them for the day. Guests staying at that resort have priority on that color train. You may ask to wait for the resorts train. When the train comes in, you may ride in the front to wherever you want, maximum one round trip. If a different train comes in, and they have room available, you may ride in the front up until that trains resort. When you get there, you may be asked to step to the back, to allow the resort guests to board the front. Please note that the colors do change daily, and sometimes even throughout the day, as circumstances change. Also note that once you are in the back of the train, you may NOT switch to the front, if it becomes available. No exceptions.

Under NO circumstances may anyone ride in the rear cab of the train.

Please note that we have set up these rules based upon thirty years of experience, and have found these current policies to be the most fair to everyone. Pilots are generally VERY STRICT when it comes to the front cab. By allowing one person to break a rule, it creates a huge mess for us later on. That's why we're strict. Loading the front is a special perk that we extend out to our guests, however, it is not a right. We do reserve the right to not load the front cab of any train at any given moment without any notice.

Last Easter when DD and I were there, one Bus Driver gave her a Bus Driver License!

She can hardly wait to get back 'cause she claims she can drive not only the Monorail but the Buses!

Now how cool is that!

Scratch
:smooth:

The Monorail Co-Pilot cards are always a big hit...

I'm glad to hear that the Honorary Bus Driver cars are liked as well, too. I always try to give them out to special guests and whatnot. :)

Tyler--Thank you so much for sharing this information with us! this is exaclty what I was looking for. Great to have you on here for the definitive word on Disney transportation.

Now i know that I will send DH with the two olders to ask to ride and baby and I will ride in back.

Chip 'n Dale, I use a manual wheelchair, but if it is early enough in the day, I can stand and step up (with my spouse assisting) and the wheelchair does fold. Would it be possible for us to ride in the front cab? Or is it not allowed? It would just be the two of us, and I know my spouse would love to get to ride in the front.

If that isn't possible, could my spouse get me loaded in the wheelchair car and then he could ride up front? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't forget to come back and get me after the ride (smile).

Thanks for any information you might have!

Originally posted by Figaro
Chip 'n Dale, I use a manual wheelchair, but if it is early enough in the day, I can stand and step up (with my spouse assisting) and the wheelchair does fold. Would it be possible for us to ride in the front cab? Or is it not allowed? It would just be the two of us, and I know my spouse would love to get to ride in the front.

We would be most happy to accomodate! I've had several guests using various mobility devices ride in my front cab with no problems what so ever. There is room in the front for a folded wheelchair.

In the case that a mobility device cannot be folded, and must go into one of the designated cars, we (or preferably a family member) can transfer the guest to the front cab, and then move the mobility device to the back car, and then get it for them when it's time to disembark.

I will let you know the Front Cab is sometimes a bit tricky to get into... there is a slightly larger step to get in (6" maybe?), however, there are handrails, and like you said, your spouse can assist you. Make sure to take your time, please don't feel rushed. We want you to have a safe, and enjoyable ride!

Thanks for the information Chip 'n Dale! As long as it is early in the day, I won't have a problem with a higher step up and step down.

Thanks again!

Although we're staying offsite, I've heard it's OK for us to ride the monorail. Where can we catch it and where can we take it to? And is there more than one monorail? We'll be going to a different park each day -- can we only take the rail to that park, or does it go all the way around back to where it started?

Thanks for any help! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Are you still driving the monorails??? It would be SO COOL to meet you if you are!!! You are SO helpful on the boards with your wealth of knowledge!!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!!

Originally posted by BrennyK
Although we're staying offsite, I've heard it's OK for us to ride the monorail. Where can we catch it and where can we take it to? And is there more than one monorail? We'll be going to a different park each day -- can we only take the rail to that park, or does it go all the way around back to where it started?

Thanks for any help! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Well, you really kinda have to ride the Monorail... The MK Parking lot is about 1 mile from the actual theme park... you have a choice between the Monorail and the Ferryboat to get to the park. My recommendation is to take the Monorail to the MK... and ride in the front. Then at night, for the return trip, take the Ferry. It'll be quicker, and it's a wonderful ride at night.

You can also park at the MK Parking, and then take the Monorail to Epcot. The monorail will continue to run until at least 10:30 if not later, to take you back to the TTC.

Those are the only two parks that have Monorail service.

Originally posted by Jeanny
Are you still driving the monorails??? It would be SO COOL to meet you if you are!!! You are SO helpful on the boards with your wealth of knowledge!!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!!

I transferred into Bus Operations a long while ago... however, every so often, I pick up a monorail shift, just to drive the trains. :)

I'll look for you when we're down there at Thanksgiving when we go on the buses... We're staying at the Polynesian, but I'm assuming we'll use the bus system for some things!!

Thanks for all your help!

:bounce: Hey Tyler,
Thanks for the info. We have not been to WDW in over 13 years. Did not realize all this was available!

This would be a big hit with my boys!

Lisajl

Thanks for the info! Also, what is the best time to get to the parks in the AM? I've heard they let you in before the park actually opens but that you can't ride the rides until opening time. If I'm staying at HIFS, what time should I leave there to allow me to get from the parking area to the park and be there when we can start riding the rides?

Always great help on these boards!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Originally posted by BrennyK
Thanks for the info! Also, what is the best time to get to the parks in the AM? I've heard they let you in before the park actually opens but that you can't ride the rides until opening time. If I'm staying at HIFS, what time should I leave there to allow me to get from the parking area to the park and be there when we can start riding the rides?

A few things to note... Epcot is usually the only park that will allow guests to go through the turnstiles prior to park opening. The only reason for this is to expedite the security checks. They do have ropes set up though, just beyond Spaceship Earth. Sometimes, if it's ready, they will open SE during this time.

For the Magic Kingdom, guests will be held back at the TTC until 8:45. At the MK itself, they will usually hold to the advertised opening time, unless they expect heavy crowds, in which they will open the turnstiles, and perhaps a few shops, but nothing else.

For DAK and Studios, they will usually hold to the advertised opening time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter