Rides with drops?

KlutzyK8

There's no place like WDW!
Okay you lovely list makers... Is there a list floating around that states rides with drops? Obviously I know the roller coasters and ToT has drops, but anything that you can't tell from the outside?

TYIA!

Whats a drop to you?

Pirates has a little swoop and drop. Like a splash down, not some crazy over the edge plunge but it is in the dark.

That would be considered a drop to me! Anything that gives you that sensation in your belly, like woah!

No clue if there is a list but I feel there isn't many rides in disney almost without a drop? Peter Pan? Nemo? It's a small world? Figment? Safari? Dumbo? Great Movie Ride? Toy story and buzz light year? Any stage act (not really a ride per say)

Guess there ended up being more than I thought actually.

Tiny drops: Pirates of the Caribbean, Maelstrom, Dinosaur (the drop is nothing compared to the roughness of the rest of the ride, however), Rock n Roller Coaster (not even sure I'd call it a drop but there are three upside loops and a stunningly fast take-off which are far more exciting), Kali River Rapids (more of a slope than a drop, won't give you the funny feeling in the stomach), Test Track

We just got back from WDW with a person who doesn't do drops - AT ALL!!
She went on Pirates and it wasn't horrible, but it was pitch black and she didn't like it.
Test Track just about did her in!!! Horrible, horrible ride for her.
Dinosaur wasn't as bad since it's mostly jerking around.
She didn't attempt the obvious mountains and coasters.
We told her to skip Peter Pan, mostly because we couldn't remember the ride. When we got off we told her it wasn't even worth the 5 minute FP wait!

My mom is a true wimp and will ride everything but the following:

AK - EE
Epcot - nothing
MK - SM, BTMRR (she rode it a couple of years ago and was ducked under the entire time, she faulted MK harshly for not serving wine that day).
DHS - ToT and RNRC (her least favorite park)

Hey, KlutzyK8, I am 100% totally with you on the "drops" thing. Roller coasters, per se, don't bother me, but I hate HATE HATE the drops! It's what keeps me off the rides. Having said that, here's my list:

Splash Mountain has that big, obvious drop, but I have done it maybe 4 times. I've found that if I brace myself, it's almost like standing up when the drop occurs, and it's only about 4 seconds (someone correct me if I am wrong). HOWEVER, it gives me a sinus headache, and I always dreaded doing this ride, so I stopped doing it. Splash also has three smaller (comparatively, but they ooog my tummy) drops inside the mountain.

I won't do Splash, Space, Everest, RnRC, ToT (although if I knew it'd only be one drop I might try it once, to say I did it), Barnstormer, for the obvious reasons. Dinosaur is too jerky for my bad back so I only rode it once. It is LOUD and JERKY, and made me motion sick. I don't remember a drop there, but there might be. IF there is, it's more like driving down a hill.

POC, Maelstrom, and Kali River Rapids all have drops, but they are manageable. The one in POC is right at my limit for drops, and it's in the dark, but it's OK. The one in Maelstrom is mild- both comparatively and in reality. When it starts, remember I said it's no big deal. At KRR, the raft kind-of flops over the edge and then glides down what is more like a slide, not a drop, but it's there, and if you see it I don't want you to freak because I didn't warn you!

TestTrak- no real drop, you more like drive down a short hill, but it pulls some G's on the fast, outdoor circular track. TT always makes me a touch queasy, but I can do it once.

Big Thunder Mountain is my favorite ride in WDW; BTMRR and the people mover are MY kind of rides! BTMRR is fast and zippy, and yes, it has drops BUT… they are not big at all. They also are not fast. Because of the age/design of the ride, when the engine gets to the top of a "hill" it almost comes to a stop. You start going up the hill, get that apprehensive feeling in your tummy and think you are going to whip over that hill and drop into the valley and ooooggg… but you don't. It's almost like a glide down into the valley, especially if you are sitting up front, closer to the engine. While the back half of the second car is a bit faster going over the hills, it's not anything much. Now, the cars get really peppy going through the turns, but that's another subject! There are also several bunny hops on BTMRR, but they really aren't bad; just anticipate them and brace your feet and you should be fine. (if you are far enough back in the first car, you can see the engine drop into the hop and be prepared- but they really are minor).

I love BTMRR, but am only good for maybe 2 rides on it. Our SOP (before FP+, now we are going to have to rethink it all) was to grab a Splash FP, ride BTMRR while waiting for the Splash FP, and then grab a FP for BTMRR if we were into the splash return time. The family would ride Splash while I recuperated from BTMRR, and after they were done with Splash we'd go back on BTMRR. Then I'd really be done, but I get motion sick and have vertigo, so it's not the drop on BTMRR that slows me down- it's the curves, but it's fun!!

I understand your dislike of all things droppy… but you should be OK on POC, Maelstrom, KRR, and BTMRR. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Hey, KlutzyK8, I am 100% totally with you on the "drops" thing. Roller coasters, per se, don't bother me, but I hate HATE HATE the drops! It's what keeps me off the rides. Having said that, here's my list:

Splash Mountain has that big, obvious drop, but I have done it maybe 4 times. I've found that if I brace myself, it's almost like standing up when the drop occurs, and it's only about 4 seconds (someone correct me if I am wrong). HOWEVER, it gives me a sinus headache, and I always dreaded doing this ride, so I stopped doing it. Splash also has three smaller (comparatively, but they ooog my tummy) drops inside the mountain.

I won't do Splash, Space, Everest, RnRC, ToT (although if I knew it'd only be one drop I might try it once, to say I did it), Barnstormer, for the obvious reasons. Dinosaur is too jerky for my bad back so I only rode it once. It is LOUD and JERKY, and made me motion sick. I don't remember a drop there, but there might be. IF there is, it's more like driving down a hill.

POC, Maelstrom, and Kali River Rapids all have drops, but they are manageable. The one in POC is right at my limit for drops, and it's in the dark, but it's OK. The one in Maelstrom is mild- both comparatively and in reality. When it starts, remember I said it's no big deal. At KRR, the raft kind-of flops over the edge and then glides down what is more like a slide, not a drop, but it's there, and if you see it I don't want you to freak because I didn't warn you!

TestTrak- no real drop, you more like drive down a short hill, but it pulls some G's on the fast, outdoor circular track. TT always makes me a touch queasy, but I can do it once.

Big Thunder Mountain is my favorite ride in WDW; BTMRR and the people mover are MY kind of rides! BTMRR is fast and zippy, and yes, it has drops BUT… they are not big at all. They also are not fast. Because of the age/design of the ride, when the engine gets to the top of a "hill" it almost comes to a stop. You start going up the hill, get that apprehensive feeling in your tummy and think you are going to whip over that hill and drop into the valley and ooooggg… but you don't. It's almost like a glide down into the valley, especially if you are sitting up front, closer to the engine. While the back half of the second car is a bit faster going over the hills, it's not anything much. Now, the cars get really peppy going through the turns, but that's another subject! There are also several bunny hops on BTMRR, but they really aren't bad; just anticipate them and brace your feet and you should be fine. (if you are far enough back in the first car, you can see the engine drop into the hop and be prepared- but they really are minor).

I love BTMRR, but am only good for maybe 2 rides on it. Our SOP (before FP+, now we are going to have to rethink it all) was to grab a Splash FP, ride BTMRR while waiting for the Splash FP, and then grab a FP for BTMRR if we were into the splash return time. The family would ride Splash while I recuperated from BTMRR, and after they were done with Splash we'd go back on BTMRR. Then I'd really be done, but I get motion sick and have vertigo, so it's not the drop on BTMRR that slows me down- it's the curves, but it's fun!!

I understand your dislike of all things droppy… but you should be OK on POC, Maelstrom, KRR, and BTMRR. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Not OP but thanks for the info and encouragement! I hate drops, too, but I've got 2 trips this year and I really want to ride Maelstrom and KRR but I've always wimped out. I can ride POC and actually enjoy it now (used to dread it until about the time they added Jack Sparrow to it :goodvibes).

Rock'n'Roller Coaster does not have any big drops. My stomach didn't 'drop' once. :confused3 It does, however, launch 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds and go upside 3 times. (You don't notice going upside down if you have your eyes closed though.:))

Thank you!! This is exactly what I wanted! I can do PoC, but that deop just about is my limit. I cant even think about ToT, my heart races just thinking about those drops. Ive never done Malestrom because I heard there was a drop but maybe I can do it this time LOL. I never knew RnRC didn't have a drop!! I've avoided Splash for the same reason as ToT, but my son convinced me to do Space Mt. Last year and I didn't die or have a panic attack, so that's something, right?

Thank you again!!

Thank you!! This is exactly what I wanted! I can do PoC, but that deop just about is my limit. I cant even think about ToT, my heart races just thinking about those drops. Ive never done Malestrom because I heard there was a drop but maybe I can do it this time LOL. I never knew RnRC didn't have a drop!! I've avoided Splash for the same reason as ToT, but my son convinced me to do Space Mt. Last year and I didn't die or have a panic attack, so that's something, right?

Thank you again!!

It is my opinion that if you can handle Pirates, you can handle Maelstrom. We took my 80 year old grandmother on both a little over a year ago and she had no problems with either one. When my daughter was 2, I also took her on both and she barely seemed to notice either drop. Have fun! :goodvibes

It is my opinion that if you can handle Pirates, you can handle Maelstrom. We took my 80 year old grandmother on both a little over a year ago and she had no problems with either one. When my daughter was 2, I also took her on both and she barely seemed to notice either drop. Have fun! :goodvibes

Thanks!!

I am the biggest ride wimp imaginable. Last trip, I don't think I rode one single thing. I hate drops, but it's gotten worse than that. I hate the lack of control, and we have gotten stalled on more than one ride, so I live in fear of that.

That said, I have ridden POtC and Maelstrom with no ill effects from drops whatsoever. Strangely, I read later that they had "drops" and I was like , "What?". Never felt any "drop" sensation. All that is to say, don't fear the "drops" (or very short downhill portions) of PotC and Maelstrom.

We did get stalled in PotC once however, so I will never go on it again. I start to panic when that happens.

Besides the rides that have been mentioned, I think Primeval Whirl in Animal Kingdom has a somewhat steep drop. I think it's a fun ride but the drop is kind of intense for me even though I'm perfectly ok with the other coasters (except Space Mountain) and ToT. Primeval Whirl just doesn't feel very secure to me which makes it scary (but fun!)

I am the biggest ride wimp imaginable. Last trip, I don't think I rode one single thing. I hate drops, but it's gotten worse than that. I hate the lack of control, and we have gotten stalled on more than one ride, so I live in fear of that.

That said, I have ridden POtC and Maelstrom with no ill effects from drops whatsoever. Strangely, I read later that they had "drops" and I was like , "What?". Never felt any "drop" sensation. All that is to say, don't fear the "drops" (or very short downhill portions) of PotC and Maelstrom.

We did get stalled in PotC once however, so I will never go on it again. I start to panic when that happens.

This.

I hate drops. I hate that icky stomach feeling. I love PoTC and Maelstrom!

Not OP but thanks for the info and encouragement! I hate drops, too, but I've got 2 trips this year and I really want to ride Maelstrom and KRR but I've always wimped out. I can ride POC and actually enjoy it now (used to dread it until about the time they added Jack Sparrow to it :goodvibes).

I HATE drops! POTC freaks me out the few times I've been on it! It really helped when I went with someone who knew the rides like the back of her hand and could describe any drops or things that might catch me off guard right before we went on them. However, I went on Maelstrom for the first time in December with my mom and brother, who also had not been on the ride. We got put in the front row and I sat in the middle. Don't do that because if you are in the middle front, you can't see anything that's coming up due to the construction of the boat.

I can describe it for you in a fellow "drop hater" fashion. :) SPOILER ALERT! Haha It starts by taking you up a dark slow incline right at the beginning. Think of this as it's taking you ALL the way up and you will eventually make your way back to the bottom by a series of drops. There is (in my opinion) a drop similar to POTC after the big incline. Then there is typical slow boat ride stuff (I don't remember much because I was in such a panic haha). I remember that there are a series of pretty small drops and the boat starts going backwards. The trolls start chanting "over the falls" and this door opens up behind the boat, making it look like you are going to go backwards and out of the ride. You don't, but you do have another POTC style drop going forward (although I swear this last drop is longer than POTC...and this is the one where you might get a tad wet). Then it's over.

Hope that helps!

My limit is POTC / maestrom / BTMR -

BTMR - is one of my favourites because I found my courage on that ride. when I realised that it just goes really fast and banks - well - let me on!

it does have one really small dip that is over so fast that it doesn't bother me.

i didn't know that RnRC didn't have free falls - doesn't the sensation occur coming out of the loops?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter