Rides to Avoid After Knee Replacement

I am glad to hear you had a great trip Minnie Mum. Your knee flexion is really good. I have similar flexion in both knees. I went in December and it was fantastic. I am a bit further along with my knee replacements than you. I was able to walk around Disney for 4 days as I was 9 months out from surgery. I rode everything too including 7 Dwarves Mine train. I was even able to sit in the IASW boat comfortably. It felt really good to be able to get around disney without knee pain.

Thanks for the report Minnie mum.
I had not considered the 'bracing effect' and will add that to the ride information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread as I have time.

I realize that I am reawakening an old thread, and the OP has already had her trip. But I thought I'd come back and report my experiences with the rides after knee replacement. I'm now 6 months post op and have gotten about 125 degrees of flexion in the knee. Which is 10 degrees more than I had preop! Yay, a success!!

This was EXTREMELY helpful for me since I will be going at my 8 months recovery from knee replacement. I'm having difficulty now at 4 mos. with the swelling and bending, still at 90 degree of flexion. I'm diabetic so I tend to heal a lot slower than most. I'm 60 and not in good shape at all since I have neck, shoulder and back issues as well. I love going to Disney and I love all the rides but I see I'm going to have to avoid some I really, really wanted to try. I was so looking forward to doing 7DMT but it looks like I'm going to have to skip it as well as my favorite BTMRR:worried:! But I'm so grateful to these boards they never steer me wrong and make my vacations so much easier. I will be renting a ECV so I'll be using alternate entries whenever I can. Thanks again for your input and everyone elses. Love these Boards. :thanks:

I realize the thread is old, but want to offer my 2 cents.
I'm 3.5 years after TKR and only have 90% flexion on my knee. (my knee had lots of trauma and i was at 90% before the surgery)

I tried to ride the Seven Dwarves mine train, and could barely get my leg to bend enough. Basically,
I was in alot of pain during the ride as the seat/legroom design is such, that you need more than the 90% flexion.

For other rides, i sit on the left and my wife or kids on the right and I can let my right leg stretch over into their leg room area.
The mine train has a divider between your legroom and the person next to you, so it would not be possible to do that.

The mine train is the only ride I have not been able to do again.

I realize the thread is old, but want to offer my 2 cents.
I'm 3.5 years after TKR and only have 90% flexion on my knee. (my knee had lots of trauma and i was at 90% before the surgery)

I tried to ride the Seven Dwarves mine train, and could barely get my leg to bend enough. Basically,
I was in alot of pain during the ride as the seat/legroom design is such, that you need more than the 90% flexion.

For other rides, i sit on the left and my wife or kids on the right and I can let my right leg stretch over into their leg room area.
The mine train has a divider between your legroom and the person next to you, so it would not be possible to do that.

The mine train is the only ride I have not been able to do again.
thanks for the feedback.
Lack of leg room has been one of the complaints on the Mine Car

I wanted to report back after my vacation and I went on most rides, even did 7DMR but...only once, it was EXTREMELY uncomfortable for me, and I'm 5'2"! I can't imagine anyone riding this ride comfortably with knee issues. But, other than that the ride is AWESOME, my DD, DGS and DNc rode it like 7 times! So if you can ride it by all means ride it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter