• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rides for those almost bound to their ECV

Belle5

DIS Veteran
I am helping a friend who has MS plan a trip with her DH and another couple. They have been to WDW several times. The couple they are going with has never been before. They are all 70ish. My friend (actually my mother's dear friend) is almost completely dependent on her ECV. I do know she can be moved to ride Soarin', but a lot of rides she chooses not to ride because of how you have to transfer into a ride vehicle.

I am wondering if any of you in the same situation can give me a list of rides and attractions that should work for her so I can plan their days more efficiently.

They always have stayed at the GF before, but I think I have them talked into a Boardwalk area resort--perhaps the YC. I have read it is an easier resort to get around in with an ECV. Would you agree with that?

Thanks for any and all help!!

Belle5

When you say "is almost completely dependent on her ECV" is this actually an ECV or is it a power chair? I know this is a generality, but most people who use an ECV have mobility and/or stamina problems, but are able to do stuff without the ECV.

For most rides the ECV can come all the way up to the boarding area and a CM will take it away from the ride vehicle after the Guest boards the ride and will return it when the Guest gets off the ride. Note the CM can move the ECV or hold it steady, but any physical assistance in either load or unload can only be done by members of the Guest's party. CMs are prohibited from touching a Guest to assist in load or unload, even if the Guests so requests.

And for shows the Guest can almost always remain in the ECV for the show.

When you say "is almost completely dependent on her ECV" is this actually an ECV or is it a power chair? I know this is a generality, but most people who use an ECV have mobility and/or stamina problems, but are able to do stuff without the ECV.

For most rides the ECV can come all the way up to the boarding area and a CM will take it away from the ride vehicle after the Guest boards the ride and will return it when the Guest gets off the ride. Note the CM can move the ECV or hold it steady, but any physical assistance in either load or unload can only be done by members of the Guest's party. CMs are prohibited from touching a Guest to assist in load or unload, even if the Guests so requests.

And for shows the Guest can almost always remain in the ECV for the show.

She actually vacationed with us at WDW a year and a half ago when we celebrated my mom's 70th birthday. She owns her own ECV which they cart around in her van. She cannot move her legs because of the MS. The only reason she can ride Soarin' is because they can scoot her up to the seat and almost lift her in. I know that she doesn't do any loading rides like Spaceship Earth. She went off with my mom a lot during that trip, so I didn't see exactly what she was able to do...I guess I can just use my own judgment about which rides she could handle...I was just hoping someone who has done it could say, "These rides or shows were the easiest for me."

What about the Safari in AK? Aren't there certain safari vehicles that load the ECV's? Can she stay in the line with her ECV?

Are there other rides like that?

Thanks!

What about the Safari in AK? Aren't there certain safari vehicles that load the ECV's? Can she stay in the line with her ECV?

Are there other rides like that?

Thanks!
No, there are some attractions that have a special ride car which can hold a wheelchair or most power wheelchairs. Most of them can’t accommodate an ECV though because in general, the space is small and sharp turns are needed.
There is a new boat at Living with the Land in the Land at Epcot that an ECV can be driven on, but that is the only ride car I can think of that an ECV can go on.

If she could transfer to an attraction wheelchair, she could ride in the wheelchair ride cars. But, she may not be able to transfer to the attraction wheelchairs because they have armrests which do not move and do not have swing away footrests.
One possibility might be to plan a day where she rents a wheelchair so that she can go on some of those attractions she would not be able to go on otherwise.

She would possibly be avoiding attractions with warnings anyway, so here is a list of those.
These are the attractions with warnings - they are marked with a red triangle on the park map and also on a sign at the entrance to the queue.
The wording for the general warning is:
WARNING! For safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride.

For Epcot here are the attractions with warnings:
  • Mission Space the sign outside the attraction says that pregnant women are advised not the ride both the more tame (green side) and the more wild (orange side)
  • Test Track
For Magic Kingdom:
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
  • Space Mountain
  • Goofy's Barnstormer (this doesn't have a triangle warning sign on the map, but does say that pregnant women should not ride, so is not completely tame)
For Disney Studio
  • Star Tours
  • Rock N Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
For Animal Kingdom:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Expedition Everest
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Dinosaur

For MK, this is a list of attractions.
I put those in bold that she would be able to stay in the ECV for.
The ones that have a wheelchair ride car, I put in blue bold. She would need to be able to transfer to a wheelchair.
The ones just in black regular type are ones that require a transfer that she would not be able to make.

Astro Orbiter
The Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre Farm
Big Thunder Mountain
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Carousel of Progress
Country Bear Jamboree

Donald's Boat
Dream Along with Mickey (show on the castle stage)
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Enchanted Tiki Room
Hall of Presidents

The Haunted Mansion
it's a small world
Jungle Cruise
Liberty Square Riverboat
Mad Tea Party
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Mickey's Country House
Mickey's Philharmagic
Minnie's Country House
Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor

Peter Pan's Flight
Pirates of the Caribbean
Prince Charming's Regal Carrousel
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Stitch's Great Escape! -not a ride car, but is a wheelchair spot where you can experience all the special effects
Swiss Family Treehouse
Tom Sawyer Island - island is not accessible, but guests in wheelchairs can go on raft over to island
Tomorrowland Speedway
Tomorrowland Transit Authority
Toontown Hall of Fame

In addition, she MIGHT be able to make a transfer onto the ride car for Haunted Mansion if she can transfer from a wheelchair. It is not that difficult of a transfer because it has a level floor and the transfer car has a door wider opening. You can park a wheelchair as close as you need to park by the ride car with the moving walkway closed. She would need to explain what she needs to the CM. Here is a picture of the transfer doombuggy.
2590PA040149.JPG

This is a link to the DIS site (wdwinfo) page which has links to more information about each attraction.

I am wondering if any of you in the same situation can give me a list of rides and attractions that should work for her so I can plan their days more efficiently.

Rides I know of that have "extra space" for loading a wheelchair/ECV or an ECV can be driven inside (sorry if I don't have all the names right, my family all has short hand names for the attractions based on whatever my four-year-old daughter calls them!):

Magic Kingdom:
Small World
Jungle Cruise
Tiki Birds
Philharmagic
Carousel of Progress
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
Country Bear Jamboree

I believe the Big River Boat allows ECVs to be driven right on board.

Not sure about Hall of Presidents.

Epcot:
Living with the Land (boat ride in The Land)
Lion King movie

not sure about Maelstrom or the ride in Mexico, but Universe of Energy has never allowed me to bring my ECV in there.

Hollywood Studios:
Almost every stage show
Muppets
Backlot Tour
Toy Story Mania has a wheelchair accessible car but I don't believe an ECV would fit on it.

Animal Kingdom:
Not sure about Safari, I've always transferred but they may have a special vehicle

Can anyone add to this list? My brain is all fuzzy because it's so late. And I ALWAYS transfer even if I don't need to, so I'm just trying to remember the rides when they put me in a "special" vehicle anyway (my daughter was thrilled when we got the big boat at Small World with the edge seats all to ourselves!)

For Epcot, this is a list of attractions.
The ones that have a wheelchair ride car, I put in blue bold. She would need to be able to transfer to a wheelchair.
The ones just in black regular type are ones that require a transfer that she would not be able to make.

Honey I Shrunk the Audience - 3D movie, currently Captain EO
Imagination!
Innoventions

The Seas Pavilion including:
  • Bruce’s Shark World
  • Nemo ride
  • Turtle Talk
The Land Pavilion including
  • Living with the Land (there is a new wheelchair boat, which is ECV accessible. The old wheelchair boat was not accessible to ECVs)
    [*]Circle of Life
  • SOARIN’ - NOT Accessible, but you already said she could make that transfer.
Spaceship Earth - she MIGHT be able to make this. Would require a transfer to a wheelchair, stopping the wheelchair close to the ride car on the moving walkway and a transfer into the ride car. They do have one transfer car with a wider opening.
Test Track
Universe of Energy - Ellen’s Energy Adventure
Mission: Space

This is a link to the Epcot Future World page on the DIS site (wdwinfo)

These are the World Showcase attractions, with a link to the WS page on the DIS site.
Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico
Maelstrom - the ride is not accessible, but there is a short movie at the end-if she wants to watch, ask the CM at the ride entrance.
Reflections of China
American Adventure
Impressions de France
O Canada!

Sue M in MN,

These bolded lists are more helpful than anything I could have imagined. Thank you so much!

Someone mentioned on another post that the Jungle Cruise has one boat that will take an ECV. Has that changed?

For Disney Hollywood Studios

American Idol Attraction
Backlot Tour - this tour includes a walking tour, which is ECV accessible and a tram tour part, which has a wheelchair spot, but is not ECV accessible.
Beauty and the Beast
Journey into Narnia: Prince Caspian
Fantasmic!

The Great Movie Ride - she MIGHT also be able to transfer to a ride seat. They are bench seats and she could park the ECV very close to board.
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Playground - is listed as accessible to both, but parts of the path are tight
Indiana Jones Stunt Show
Lights, Motors, Action! Stunt Show
Magic of Disney Animation
Muppet Vision 3D
Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
Sounds Dangerous
Star Tours
Tower of Terror
Toy Story Mania - this one makes a quick turn after each game and some people find it too jarring.
Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Here’s a link to the Hollywood Studio page

Sue M in MN,

These bolded lists are more helpful than anything I could have imagined. Thank you so much!

Someone mentioned on another post that the Jungle Cruise has one boat that will take an ECV. Has that changed?
You’re welcome.
That is correct. The Jungle Cruise got colored blue when I was trying to fix it to be bold. It’s a little hard to see what I am doing until it’s posted since all I can see is the HTML coding for bold or whatever.

Jungle Cruise does have a boat that can take an ECV. I have seen pictures of people with ECVs on it, but I have never seen anyone with an ECV on it. I have seen people with very large ECVs told they will need to transfer to a wheelchair. It does have space and it is listed on the park map as accessible to both.

NOTE - I EDITED THE ORIGINAL POST, so it is now correct

This is a link to the DIS site’s page about Animal Kingdom.

Boneyard - this is a playground; you would be able to go on the paths
Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama including
  • Primeval Whirl
  • TriceraTop Spin
  • Fossil Fun Games - carnival type games
Dinosaur
Expedition Everest
Festival of the Lion King
Finding Nemo - The Musical
Flights of Wonder
It's Tough to be a Bug

Kali River Rapids
Kilimanjaro Safari - tram has space for one wheelchair; tram is not ECV accessible
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Oasis - area between entrance as you come in and Discovery Island
Pangani Exploration Trail
Rafiki's Planet Watch including
  • Wildlife Express Train
    [*]Habitat Habit!
    [*]Conservation Station
  • Affection Station - a petting zoo. ECVs are not allowed for the safety of the animals
Tree of Life/Discovery Island Trails

Sue ~ thank you :goodvibes for all of this information!

While I am not the OP, this information is still very helpful for our upcoming trip!

God bless you for all that you (and Kevin, and Cheshire, and others) do on here to help everyone enjoy WDW! :flower3:

Thanks for the thanks.

Since this seems to be popular, I think I will add the information in several permanent places.

On our last trip, my cousin used the special boat on the Jungle Cruise that you take the ECV on. It was really cool. You drive onto a platform, then they turn the platform around so you are faced forward. Also, one time we rode the Haunted Mansion and we told them that she couldn't walk very far. They took us around to the back and she pulled up right beside the car and they stopped the belt. My cousin got into the car and I took the ECV outside. The lady behind us was with a girl who could not walk and she lifted her into the car and the CM took her wheelchair outside. They were waiting for us when the ride was over and they stopped the ride again.

On our last trip, my cousin used the special boat on the Jungle Cruise that you take the ECV on. It was really cool. You drive onto a platform, then they turn the platform around so you are faced forward. Also, one time we rode the Haunted Mansion and we told them that she couldn't walk very far. They took us around to the back and she pulled up right beside the car and they stopped the belt. My cousin got into the car and I took the ECV outside. The lady behind us was with a girl who could not walk and she lifted her into the car and the CM took her wheelchair outside. They were waiting for us when the ride was over and they stopped the ride again.
Thanks.
I know you can take a wheelchair onto the walkway at Haunted Mansion, I was not positive about an ECV, since I have never seen one inside.

We put DD’s wheelchair almost touching the doombuggy and then lift her into it.

Here’s a picture of the Jungle Cruise boat with the lift. I have a series of pictures that show the whole process, but I don’t have all of them on the internet where I can post them.
2590PA090154.JPG

This shows it lifted and the CM is getting ready to turn the platform so that the part where one of the high sides reaches the dock and folds down to become a ramp. You drive on, they spin it back to face forward and you are lowered down into place.

One interesting tidbit - a DIS poster who worked on Jungle Cruise while they were testing it said they had a difficult time getting it to work correctly at first. When they lowered the ramp, the first test models, pressed too hard against the boat, which made the boat lower in the water and sometimes sink.:eek:

SueM in MN said:
Jungle Cruise does have a boat that can take an ECV. I have seen pictures of people with ECVs on it, but I have never seen anyone with an ECV on it. I have seen people with very large ECVs told they will need to transfer to a wheelchair. It does have space and it is listed on the park map as accessible to both.
I've been one of those people - not in the pictures, but one who's actually used that boat while in an ECV. I can't manage the large stepping required to get in and out of the Jungle Cruise boats. The Cast Members describe it as three rides in one: Mad Hatter's Tea Cups when you're 'spinning' (really, turning 90º); Tower of Terror when you're 'dropping' to deck level; and of course, the [infamous and actual] Jungle Cruise itself :teeth:

I've been one of those people - not in the pictures, but one who's actually used that boat while in an ECV. I can't manage the large stepping required to get in and out of the Jungle Cruise boats. The Cast Members describe it as three rides in one: Mad Hatter's Tea Cups when you're 'spinning' (really, turning 90º); Tower of Terror when you're 'dropping' to deck level; and of course, the [infamous and actual] Jungle Cruise itself :teeth:
Yep, that’s what they always say to DD too.
Here’s the spun to the front and getting ready for the Tower of Terror part
2590PA040164.JPG

And, the happy guest (my DD loves her Jungle Cruise)
2590PA040167.JPG

Thanks for all the advice and help! I have taken lots of the information you have provided and made up little printable sheets for my friend.

One part of my original question that has not been answered is this: "They always have stayed at the GF before, but I think I have them talked into a Boardwalk area resort--perhaps the YC. I have read it is an easier resort to get around in with an ECV. Would you agree with that?"

I have been guiding them toward staying at the Yacht Club, but now I am second guessing myself after doing a few searches on this board. Do you think I am safer to just encouraged them to continue staying at the GF where they're used to things and know they like it? I would hate for them to have a more difficult time getting around based on my recommendation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter