• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rides for 8 and 5 year olds

tolance

Earning My Ears
Hi, all. I am taking my 8 year-old daughter and 5 year-old son to Disneyland/California Adventure this Friday for 5 nights. I am really trying to plan rides that will not scare the you-know-what out of them. Can anyone give me some good suggestions? Thank you very much!:wave2:

It really depends on your kids and what you know might freak 'em out. Every child is different and what might scare an 8yr old boy might not even bother their 6yr old sister.

My 7yr old son for example, has no fear of any of the "thrill rides" that his mother refuses to get on, but does not like loud noises or dark/spooky themes. Indiana Jones and TOT are good examples, for he loves the rides themselves, but hates waiting in the themed queues as the mood they set stresses him out .

A child's perception of what's real vs. pretend also comes into play. When my son first visited DL and other theme parks a couple of years ago, we found that he took the stories/background/mood of certain attractions quite seriously and got very scared when he thought that he was in real danger (Prime example: "It's Tough to be a Bug" show).

You would be the best judge of what your kids might be stressed by but here's the top list of what my child had problems with when he was younger:

1: It's Tough To Be a Bug
2: Indiana Jones
3: Tower of Terror
4: Haunted Mansion (regular and NBC)

Now, he'll ride the last 3 items on the list (if the line is short enough) :) .

My kids usually set their own pace for rides... My boys are 8 and 6 and they have been coming to DL/DCA since they were each 2 years old... Each year they find something new to try. Their favorites are the Matterhorn, Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain... Oh, I almost forgot, they have both voted that Haunted Mansion is much scarrier the "normal" way, but they still ride it...I was a bit surprised that they wanted to go on the sunwheel, but we picked a non-moving car and all was good... On our last trip to DLR in January they decided to try Thunder Mountain and LOVED it! I figured that they would, but I let them tell me when it was right for them... The only rides that they will not go on are space mountain (I think the darkness scares them) Tower of Terror (The name scares them and they have seen the doors open and the people screaming :scared1: ) and California Screamin (If I had kept them from seeing how it starts, they may have tried it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter