Rides darker than what they once were

JennaDeeDooDah

My oh my what a wonderful day!
My family and I all agree that certain rides seem to be much darker than they once were. Pirates and Peter Pan are two that come to mind. We remember being able to see smoke rising up from the chimneys on Peter Pan and just seeing more detail on Pirates. Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas as to why they made it darker. My dad suggested that they might have done that to try and cut down on people taking pictures and videos, but I really don't know.

So its not just my aging eyes?! Yay! I think they seem darker too. Maybe they're dimming their lights to disguise the need for paint/maintenance?

We've noticed this too. I wonder if it's because of the age of the rides and not being able/willing to give the scenes the face lift needed to make them more presentable.

We went to DL this past summer, and for all the rave reviews the Indy ride gets, we were disappointed. It was so dark, you couldn't see half the scenes or make much sense out of the story line, and we've seen the movies upteen times.

Sorry to bear bad news, but I'm pretty sure it's well established that as you age, your eyesight gets worse in the dark.

Probably an energy saving method or installation of energy saving bulbs.

Disney is all about conservation.

I noticed a difference on HM between October and November! I def thought HM and Pirates were MUCH much darker!

Sorry to bear bad news, but I'm pretty sure it's well established that as you age, your eyesight gets worse in the dark.

Well, seeing as how I was 8 when I took my first trip to WDW and I just turned 31 last Saturday, I will agree that I have aged. However, I don't really think I am at the point where my eyesight has gone to pot at night. Also, I still don't see the smoke coming out of the chimneys like I once did and like my parents did when they were taking trips to Disney back in their 40's. It's not age.

So its not just my aging eyes?! Yay! I think they seem darker too. Maybe they're dimming their lights to disguise the need for paint/maintenance?

Could be this.

Probably conservation ($$$) too. Same reason it feels hotter everywhere IME, saving money on that AC.

I'm thinking this is more about artistic control. Making the "dark rides" darker overall allows them to focus your attention on the lit scenes better.

I've heard theories about how dark rides seem darker when you come in from bright sunlight, but less so when you enter them at night, because your eyes have adjusted. I dunno if it's true or not; I've never really noticed this myself but I usually wear dark sunglasses when outside. I once thought they had made the inside of Haunted Mansion VERY DARK to the point hat I couldn't see much at all, but it turned out I still had my sunglasses on. :cool2:

We didn't notice any dark rides being darker last week or the week before, but then we always seemed to have some gracious individual lighting up the entire ride for us with their iPhone so that we wouldn't miss any of the granular details. :)

We didn't notice any dark rides being darker last week or the week before, but then we always seemed to have some gracious individual lighting up the entire ride for us with their iPhone so that we wouldn't miss any of the granular details. :)

:rotfl2:

I rode Peter Pan today and thought "wow, I don't remember it being this dark before!" Nice to know it wasn't just me.

Yes.

Although this last trip, just last week, I thought Pirates had better lighting.

Another whole area that has this same thing......Hilton Head SC. Cannot see anything at night there, they might as well just turn out all the lights, it would probably be better.

Although, this is what happens when some whack jobs get control.

That was my thought when I read the title of this post - perhaps Disney made the rides darker because people are so *kindly* lighting them up with their devises :rotfl2:

I'm thinking this is more about artistic control. Making the "dark rides" darker overall allows them to focus your attention on the lit scenes better.

And, like someone already said, hide the dust, dirt, wear and tear...

I've heard theories about how dark rides seem darker when you come in from bright sunlight, but less so when you enter them at night, because your eyes have adjusted. I dunno if it's true or not; I've never really noticed this myself but I usually wear dark sunglasses when outside. I once thought they had made the inside of Haunted Mansion VERY DARK to the point hat I couldn't see much at all, but it turned out I still had my sunglasses on. :cool2:
I thought it might be the light thing, but the queue for Pirates is indoors and not lit up. I would think that our eyes would be better adjusted by the time the ride began. Don't know.
Yes.

Although this last trip, just last week, I thought Pirates had better lighting.
]/b]

Another whole area that has this same thing......Hilton Head SC. Cannot see anything at night there, they might as well just turn out all the lights, it would probably be better.

Although, this is what happens when some whack jobs get control.

Oh I hope so.

When you get in the standby line, put these on, and by the time you get inside the ride, you'll be able to see everything clearly.

When you get in the standby line, put these on, and by the time you get inside the ride, you'll be able to see everything clearly.

I'd be tempted to walk around the park wearing these babies just for the looks I might get....

Not that I don't get a lot of looks now :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter