Rider Switch for 7DMT

mcgill93

Mouseketeer
Hello!

Does anyone know if you can do rider switch on the 7 Dwarfs ride? My husband is 6'7" and literally can't fit in the ride. My kids 6 & 9 both want to ride with me, which is impossible due to the 2 seat set up of the ride. Can we use rider switch in this situation and if so, how do we do this, since it isn't due to a child who is too little to ride it.

Thanks so much! :)

Just let them know when you get to the front of the line. Your husband should be able to stand off to the side with one of your children, while you do the ride with the other. Then when that ride is complete, you'll both get off, and the CM will let you and the other child back in right at the front of the line.

This is what my family did when we went in April due to my wife being pregnant. Worked out perfectly.

Disagree with the above poster (and curious if he has two kids both under 7 years old). I'm not saying a nice CM won't let you do it, but you're not entitled to do it since you don't need a swap. You're asking for one so that each child gets to sit next to you although you'd be allowed to have all 3 of you ride at once.

With a 6 and 9 year old, the 9 year old would be allowed to ride alone (in this case, a different row in the same car as you) with you sitting next to the 6 year old. I understand you'd prefer not to ride that way but that's what is allowed so no swap is required due to age or height restrictions. Again - they may not even question you and just let you do it - but I'd prepare the 9 year old to possibly ride in the row in front or behind you depending on the luck of the draw of what CM seats you.

Last edited:
Hello!

Does anyone know if you can do rider switch on the 7 Dwarfs ride? My husband is 6'7" and literally can't fit in the ride. My kids 6 & 9 both want to ride with me, which is impossible due to the 2 seat set up of the ride. Can we use rider switch in this situation and if so, how do we do this, since it isn't due to a child who is too little to ride it.

Thanks so much! :)

Most likely no. While the website does or at some point did state that rider swap was for anyone not wanting to ride, generally it's only given when you present a child under the height limit. Having said that, while no both of them won't be able to ride directly next to you; the 3 of you can def. ride together at the same time without any issue (happens ALL the time). You'll have to ride with the 6 year old due to her age, but your 9 year old can ride right in front or right behind you. If you ask, they may even let your 2 kids ride together with you either in front or behind. -They're not supposed to, but I saw this done a lot at Mine Train this past month. 2 kids under 14, one under 7 and they would ride together while parent rode in front or behind.

Disagree with the above poster (and curious if he has two kids both under 7 years old). I'm not saying a nice CM won't let you do it, but you're not entitled to do it since you don't need a swap. You're asking for one so that each child gets to sit next to you although you'd be allowed to have all 3 of you ride at once.

With a 6 and 9 year old, the 9 year old would be allowed to ride alone (in this case, a different row in the same car as you) with you sitting next to the 6 year old. I understand you'd prefer not to ride that way but that's what is allowed so no swap is required due to age or height restrictions. Again - they may not even question you and just let you do it - but I'd prepare the 9 year old to possibly ride in the row in front or behind you depending on the luck of the draw of what CM seats you.

Then maybe I just got lucky and had multiple friendly CM's, cause my DS7 could have technically rode by herself, yet they still let us do rider swap multiple times.

Also to the OP, has your husband ever tried to ride 7DMT? I'm 6'4", and while not the most comfortable fit in the world, I could still manage.

Then maybe I just got lucky and had multiple friendly CM's, cause my DS7 could have technically rode by herself, yet they still let us do rider swap multiple times.

Also to the OP, has your husband ever tried to ride 7DMT? I'm 6'4", and while not the most comfortable fit in the world, I could still manage.
He hasn't tried because friends who are a little shorter than him tried and felt embarrassed when they had to hold everyone up in line while they tried to squeeze in and ultimately didn't fit... He isn't too excited at that prospect... :)

Like I said, when you're dealing with kids right at the age line, it's very likely a cast member isn't going to bother checking ages unless someone looks significantly younger than allowed. I would expect with a 7 year old they're likely to just do the swap. That being said, the rules are what the rules are so wanted to give the right info so that if you did get a CM that asked ages and said they could all ride at once, they'd be prepared.

You got lucky, you also had a pregnant wife and a child just barely technically able to ride alone.

Anyhow, I was going to suggest get a FP+ for everyone, arrive at beginning of FP+ window and ride with one child, then switch magic bands with DH and ride with next child.
You could also just have all 3 of you ride, the 9 year old might not get to sit next to you, but would be close.

But be prepared to have another person seated next to your 9 year old - they fill in all seats. At least they did when we were there - they have odds line up in one queue and evens line up in another.

The nine-year-old might get seated in a different car than you and most likely will have someone else in the other seat. Sometimes they asked if I was OK with someone sitting with my 10-year-old, but normally it was too crowded for them to ask that. They needed every seat. They also can split you among the cars with an "over 7". When that happens, I've sometimes asked to sit in the same car because I want the photo of all us together. They don't like that, but they will generally work with that one if you tell them soon enough.

My dd9 doesn't like roller coasters or spinning rides since they make her feel sick. They would NOT allow rider swap for her due to her height on 7dmt. Sort of bummed me out cuz I know some CMs allow it (ours was a little crabby). Anyhow, we've always used each other's bands, especially when I know dd won't ride something and my ds wants to go more than once i.e. Rockin' Rollercoaster.

My dd9 doesn't like roller coasters or spinning rides since they make her feel sick. They would NOT allow rider swap for her due to her height on 7dmt. Sort of bummed me out cuz I know some CMs allow it (ours was a little crabby). Anyhow, we've always used each other's bands, especially when I know dd won't ride something and my ds wants to go more than once i.e. Rockin' Rollercoaster.
Sorry about the crabby CM. It's good to know that you were able to use each other's bands though. Thanks so much!

Thanks for your replies! I really appreciate your help. I guess we'll see when we get there, but I feel better knowing that the bands are swappable so I can ride with each child separately since my husband won't be riding. :)

Sorry about the crabby CM. It's good to know that you were able to use each other's bands though. Thanks so much!

Was the CM crabby because you got no for an answer? The policy in park is that rider swap is for those too short to ride a height restricted attraction. Sometimes a CM will give out a RS for other reasons, but they don't have to. that doesn't make them crabby.

Attached here is the actual policy from the Disney website. Just take a screen shot and refer to it if a cast member denies you a rider swap. It says for any guest who wishes not to ride as well as those too small. Yes I have had to show this to a cast member and yes I got the rider swap. image.png

Was the CM crabby because you got no for an answer? The policy in park is that rider swap is for those too short to ride a height restricted attraction. Sometimes a CM will give out a RS for other reasons, but they don't have to. that doesn't make them crabby.

No actually you are wrong. But thank you for psycho analyzing my post. I didn't argue the point with the CM because it wasn't that big of deal and I was unsure at the time. Just like when some of the QS CMs were telling us we couldn't swap out dessert/drinks/sides even though the printed material they gave me clearly said we could. Not everyone is on the same page or maybe they're on a power trip who knows. When I approached her and she told me no, I said fine and made a new plan. But as you can see by Disney's policy stated on their website, she probably should have said YES.image.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter