Rider swap with no baby?

Calee

DIS Veteran
We are a family of 5. Two parents, 3 kids, 4,6, and 8. The 8 year old is the only one old enough to ride alone, yet won't want to ride a number of things. The younger two will probably want to ride everything. Since we don't have a baby, but do have one child that doesn't want to ride and 2 that are too young to ride alone, will we be allowed rider swaps? Like for me to ride with one of the young ones, then swap and I ride with the other young one while my husband stays with the 2 not riding? I know this won't be an issue for many rides, but I'm thinking about Mine Train, Barnstormer, BTMR (can you sit three across in that?) and possibly Space if the 6 year old wants to try it.

We are a family of 5. Two parents, 3 kids, 4,6, and 8. The 8 year old is the only one old enough to ride alone, yet won't want to ride a number of things. The younger two will probably want to ride everything. Since we don't have a baby, but do have one child that doesn't want to ride and 2 that are too young to ride alone, will we be allowed rider swaps? Like for me to ride with one of the young ones, then swap and I ride with the other young one while my husband stays with the 2 not riding? I know this won't be an issue for many rides, but I'm thinking about Mine Train, Barnstormer, BTMR (can you sit three across in that?) and possibly Space if the 6 year old wants to try it.
Not sure about the rider swap question, but you can't sit 3 across on Mine Train as the seats are made to fit 2 with separate lap bars. I am not sure about Barnstormer, but from what I remember it is a tight fit so 3 may not work. BTMR can fit 3 though.

I have seen them offer rider swap to a family in a similar situation at mine train, but I'm not sure if it's standard policy.

I don't know for sure as I don't have young kids.
But I thought not
I believe I have read here on the DIS of families who were told they could not do this with older children

Right-I have heard those are tight!

If you mean 7DMT, the seats are tight, but the real consideration is not that they are tight, but
that only two guests can be seated in a row.

The seats and safety bars are built for only one guest per seat, and two seats per row, period.

I'm curious, what is the policy if the OP's DH takes the 2 younger ones on the ride and the OP waits with her older child. Can they ride 7DMT if one of the children sits "alone" (in reality with a stranger) but in front of his father? Does "riding alone" apply to being accompanied by a person over 14 or does that person need to sit next to the child?

Best configuration for mine train would be oldest with another guest and the two parents each with a younger sibling. Everybody would be in the same car. If using fast pass and oldest doesn't want to go, have 1 adult go with 1 child and then use fast pass for other parent child that want to go. No rider swap needed for that.
Best configuration for BTMRR (if youngest is tall enough and oldest rides) 1 adult with two smallest 1 adult with largest child
Best configuration for BTMRR (if oldest doesn't go or if youngest is not tall enough) 1 adult with 1 or 2 children (should be able to get rider swap for this)
Best configuration for Barnstormer youngest children each with an adult 8 year old in car by themselves. - Depending on when you are going you may not even need rider swap for this as the line is usually short and it would be quicker to just ride and get back in line then to try and coordinate a rider swap
Space should be able to get a rider swap I needed this is a single file ride so children are sitting on their own either in front of or behind parent.

Have had this happen several times. Each child 7 and under must ride with an adult. They will let you borrow another adult in line to ride with one of the kids. With an 8 year old, you just made the cut. We never had luck riding a Rollercoaster with one adult and two kids. I would let the 8 year old sit in front and go one parent each with the younger ones. You may get lucky and your 8 year old makes a friend and gets a riding buddy. That's happened for my DD at several theme parks.

As long as one child and parent don't ride, you can do a rider swap.

Last edited:
I am not attempting to get three across on mine train or barnstormer. The only ride I was referencing with my "do they let you do three across" comment was btmr. I understand the configuration of the others, hence my rider swap question 8 year old will not ride any of these, so him riding alone and two parents riding with the other two is not on the table.

My question is how to pull of one adult, two young children. Sounds like most cm will allow a rider swap, so that's great! Thanks for the replies!

Have had this happen several times. Each child 7 and under must ride with an adult. They will let you borrow another adult in line to ride with one of the kids. With an 8 year old, you just made the cut.

As long as one child and parent don't ride, you can do a rider swap.
I've heard several reports where CMs ONLY allow rider swap if the child not riding is below the height requirement. This is why I said its very inconsistent. Its up to the CM apparently.

Is your 4 year old tall enough for Space? If not, you could do Rider Swap for that based on the 4 year old

I've heard several reports where CMs ONLY allow rider swap if the child not riding is below the height requirement. This is why I said its very inconsistent. Its up to the CM apparently.

What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?
If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!

This is from Disney website! If a CM does not honor insist and get someone else. They made need more training.

Last edited:
What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?
If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!

This is from Disney website! If a CM does not honor insist and get someone else. They made need more training.
Yes, this has been part of all the threads that I have read. Yet, there are still CMs that don't allow it. And yes, we all know they need more training. This is why when you call in to get an answer to your question, you can get a different answer every time you call. I know what the rule states but I was just passing along what I have read here on the DIS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter