Rider Swap Curiosity ?

lovebug33

DIS Veteran
Why don't they allow us to bring our baby in line? We really wanted to ride RSR one more time. However, the single rider was 60 minutes and standby was 75. We were looking at close to 2 hours apart from each other to do standby, then fastpass return or two single riders. So, obviously we didn't ride it again. We wouldn't have minded waiting 75 minutes in the line if we could have been together. We didn't do a lot of rider switch because with the wait in line, then the wait in the fast pass line, it could take us close to an hour and a half to ride one ride. That was quite disappointing (although we knew we couldn't bring her in the line with us before hand!). I just don't see why we couldn't wait with the baby, then wait for the other person to get back, swap the baby, and get back on the ride.

I would guess for the purpose of crowd control as well as comfort. Lines are not always fun for the little ones, and sometimes people do ride swaps with some antsy kids. Even the best behaved children can go loco in a long line (trust me, my little sister was one of em! An angel everywhere but the line!). Its likely for the sanity of other guests. Parents understand kids are difficult to calm and that being with your family is best, but other guests will grow upset at even the tiniest whimper halfway through an hour wait!

It's for safety purposes. They don't want to accidentally let you on the ride with your baby. Liability.

My guess is safety. If they do not allow anyone under the height limit in the line, then the CMs don't have to worry about checking everyone before boarding. Imagine how many people would try to sneak their little one onto a ride when a CM was distracted and didn't measure? This also means the line runs much more smoothly and efficiently.

They also don't want a lot of people at the loading and unloading stations. It is also a safety issue. Too many parents waiting to swap with young children is kind of a safety disaster. I can only imagine for a popular ride like RSR, how many young children and distracted parents would want to take advantage. They would need a corral or something! For the safety of everyone, I think the system they have is a good one. It allows for parents to switch off and keep everyone out of harms way, including the little ones.

I am sorry the SR line was long when you were there, just as an FYI, the line is normally not as long as what Disney posts. And you could always check back.

Oh, the line was that long. Just about all day long. We kept checking back. The lowest the single rider got was 45 minutes. That is just too long without my family for both of us to do that. It just seems like there could be something more fair for those of us who bring an infant. And, yes, I know, it's my fault for bringing an infant!

Oh, the line was that long. Just about all day long. We kept checking back. The lowest the single rider got was 45 minutes. That is just too long without my family for both of us to do that. It just seems like there could be something more fair for those of us who bring an infant. And, yes, I know, it's my fault for bringing an infant!

You could get FPs and then use them with the rider switch pass. This would allow you multiple rides on RSR. I think the system they have is pretty fair and safe for everyone.

I don't think it is anyone's fault for having small children. But Disney's number one priority is guest safety, so they will prioritize that over access to rides.

By the time we got to the fast passes they were gone :(. The whole rsr thing is difficult.

We're a family of five, and we love the fact that we can get our rider swap pass at the entrance and one of us can go do something else with our youngest while the other rides with our older boys. I wouldn't want to take our youngest through the queue when can't ride - especially when he wants to ride but doesn't meet height requirements. So I like how DL and WDW structure rider swaps. But a significant difference between our situation and OP's is that we never get in a line with a posted wait time of 15 minutes - that goes for all rides, whether we're swapping or not. So unless a line is 15 minutes or less, we get a FP or skip it. As a result, the waiting parent is never waiting more than 15 minutes plus actual ride time.

The only time we've ever gone in line all together is for Forbidden Journey (Harry Potter) at Islands of Adventure in Orlando. The difference there is that they have a waiting room for rider swaps. So no problems with lots of swappers because there is a dedicated space for them. Not a problem for us under those circumstances because our youngest didn't want to ride anyway and he loved watching the Harry Potter movie in the waiting room. And we went at opening, so there was no wait for the ride - just the time it took us to walk through the queue.

I'm sorry you feel so frusrated but due to safety some things cannot be avoided. I don't think you are at any "fault" for bringing an infant , there are many families that do too it just in this case seems to have made it a little more difficult is all. Touring with children - of any age is going to be different - just as an adults only trip will vary also.

I don't think the system is unfair personally though I am sorry you feel like you were unable to enjoy this ride because of it. I do hope perhaps you can return again in the future and have a better expereince.

I hate to say this and please don't throw rocks at me, but I wish they'd do away with fast passes.

Let me rephrase. Do away with them for new rides. There are a million and one reasons that some people can't get there in the morning. Even up the playing field for everyone until the hype dies diwn

I was surprised that as of 10amthey were still giving our rsr FPs. I almost grabbed more, but they wouldn't have worked time-wise.

We've discussed doing rsr single rider for the rest of the trip since the baby can't go. Not sure we'd do it if the lines were that long

I hate to say this and please don't throw rocks at me, but I wish they'd do away with fast passes.

I doubt anyone will throw rocks at you..considering FP is still a relatively new idea. :goodvibes

I for one appreciate the service is available , however when I was growing up with WDW - there was no such thing and I for one can honestly say that I'm glad I learned to be patient - as now it does not bother me to wait for rides.

I can understand the frustration of it all..but in a way it ideally can balance things out somewhat.

Considering there is a good chance those with FP may not feel the need to line up again , thus possibly thinning out the lines for everyone else..in theory anyway.

FP are here to stay..I'm curious to see how FP + will pan out eventually..

The last time I was at DLR (last month), we did the wide right one morning. I was shocked as when we got near the front of the line (past the area where they let the FP folks in normally) that I saw a woman with 3 girls (ages probably 5-10) that was carrying an infant car seat. I was like - WHAT? How'd she get past two CM carrying that. They were two rungs of people in front of us, so despite my attempts to see what she did with it, I wasn't able to see what happened. I did see her and the girls on the ride, however. I'm not sure why she would be carrying that around if she didn't have the baby, but I don't see how she could have gotten through the line if there was a baby in there or how she could have left the baby to ride... it was really, really odd.

I am a little confused on how this whole baby swap works out. I will be going with my mom when my daughter is 17 months old. So, if I went on a ride... say Indiana Jones... I get in line and they give me something to give my mom for when I get off the ride? Where does she go to get on the ride and where does she wait? :confused3

I am a little confused on how this whole baby swap works out. I will be going with my mom when my daughter is 17 months old. So, if I went on a ride... say Indiana Jones... I get in line and they give me something to give my mom for when I get off the ride? Where does she go to get on the ride and where does she wait? :confused3

Don't worry, rider swap is really easy. When you get in line, your mom and baby will need to be present. You say "I would like a rider swap card" and point to your baby. The CM will give you a card and then your Mom is good to go take the little one anywhere she wants to. You wait in line, ride whatever the ride is, then go meet up with your family. Your mother can then use the swap card right away or save it for later in the day. When she uses the card, she just has to show it at the tide entrance and they will direct her where to go. Sometimes it's through the FP line and if there is no FP line, it's through the exit. They don't need to see the baby this time, so you can take the baby wherever you want and your mom can meet you when she gets off the ride.

We used rider swap a lot on our last trip because DS was 38" and DD wanted to ride everything twice! On most rides we got the card at the entrance, but sometimes we had to ask every CM we passed, and sometimes didn't get the card until on the way out (and other times I forgot to show them the family and ask for the card, but DD would just say "we need a swap card because my brother is too short" and they gave us one without seeing him). Usually when we were doing rider swap, DH would take DS to do a ride with a short line (they rode Winnie the pooh 3 times while DD and I did splash!) or they would hold a spot for the parade, Fantasmic, etc.

Let me rephrase. Do away with them for new rides. There are a million and one reasons that some people can't get there in the morning. Even up the playing field for everyone until the hype dies diwn

I'd hate to see them do away with them, but if they held back some and released them later in the day, that wouldn't bother me.

If at park opening FPs were available through 5 PM and then at 3 PM FPs were available for 5 PM to park close, that would free some up for later arrivals- or early arrivals who wanted to go again.

f at park opening FPs were available through 5 PM and then at 3 PM FPs were available for 5 PM to park close, that would free some up for later arrivals- or early arrivals who wanted to go again.
And then you would find people lining up at 130p for the 3pm FP release time.

I just don't see why we couldn't wait with the baby, then wait for the other person to get back, swap the baby, and get back on the ride.

Because on many rides the place where you get off the ride is different than the place you get ON the ride. So the swap could not happen.

Where does she go to get on the ride and where does she wait? :confused3

They will tell the second rider what to do.

She can wait wherever she wants to.

The first time we used RS was when DS was 17 months old. I made a bad decision and decided to just sit and WAIT near the exit of Indy, for my hubby, brother, and sis in law to get off the ride. BORING. DS was so restless, but my cellphone doesn't work well at DLR (and this was in '07 with even less service than I get now), and I didn't realize it was going to be so long.

If we have the opportunity to do RS in the future, I would do all sorts of things with the baby! Go walk around and see things, ride a ride the baby likes, shop a bit, just whatever.

If I were in DCA and DH and DS were in the Single Rider line for RSR (that's the only way we've ridden the ride, and I anticipate it'll stay that way) while I had someone too small for the ride, I would go to bug's land and ride EVERYTHING. The little one and I would have a great time in there, then they would find me and we would switch, and they would figure out something awesome to do while I rode.

That way everyone is having a great time, and people get to do the rides they want to do!

The problem is my dh and I wanted to both experience rides with her. Especially since this was her first time. So going off and doing a ride wasn't an option for us b

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter