• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Richard petty driving experience

TeresaZ

Mouseketeer
I'm surprising my husband with a ride along at the Richard petty track. From walking in the door, to walking out - how long does it take? Trying to plan Tuesday! :)

Tia!

TeresaZ said:
I'm surprising my husband with a ride along at the Richard petty track. From walking in the door, to walking out - how long does it take? Trying to plan Tuesday! :)

Tia!

Driving or ride along?

We went when my brother-in-law did a ride along. I would have to say it was about an hour all in if that. It moved pretty quickly. The only thing I would recommend is calling a head before you head over to find out the wait time.

Ride along takes about an hour in all. It's a lot to fun because the drivers get to go faster than you would as a driver.

An hour is about right. Have fun and don't worry if he/you screems like a little girl like I did ;-) It's a blast!

Ride along takes about an hour in all. It's a lot to fun because the drivers get to go faster than you would as a driver.

While it is true that you go faster in the ride along - surprisingly fast, in fact - nothing beats driving yourself. I did both the ride along and then drove 8 laps. They wouldn't let me go faster than 140 mph when I drove, but the ride along was at 165 mph. Still, I'd much rather be doing the driving. A whole lot of fun and highly recommended.

Gave my DH the Rookie Experience - 8 lap drive as a Christmas gift. Is 140 the top speed of the car or is that all they suggest the driver do? Husband is an excellent "fast" driver and was hoping to really put his foot in it on the track. He had a '65 Corvette which was capable of high speeds and he drove that really hard at times. Hoping the experience is everything he's hoping for.
Thanks for any input!

Gave my DH the Rookie Experience - 8 lap drive as a Christmas gift. Is 140 the top speed of the car or is that all they suggest the driver do? Husband is an excellent "fast" driver and was hoping to really put his foot in it on the track. He had a '65 Corvette which was capable of high speeds and he drove that really hard at times. Hoping the experience is everything he's hoping for.
Thanks for any input!

I think it depends on the track. I did the 8 lap driving experience in Charlotte and my average speed was just a little over 145 (no speedometer in the car, they give you this after you're done), but that means we were doing a good bit faster on the backstrech and tri-oval. They encouraged us to go fast, but there are rules you have to follow. You have to follow your instructor, you need to be within so many car lengths of the instructor (too close they wave you off, too far they wave you forward), you have to watch the flag man, etc. I can tell you I swore I was about to get waved off for following too close, then I saw my wife's pictures of me on the track. All I can say is at 140+ things seem closer. :D

If you like to drive fast, I say drive. It's an absolute blast and an experience I'm sure I'll always remember.

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. I think I am almost as excited as he is. Can't wait to watch.
Happy New Year!

Hi! I hope someone is still out there to answer my question. :goodvibes

I'm thinking of purchasing the ride along experience for my 12 year old son when we go in November.

1. do we need to make a reservation?
2. Is there transportation from the Disney hotels? We are staying at SSR and won't have a car.

TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter