Richard Petty Driving Experience?

Russian-in-Kansas

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, not sure if this would be the right place to post...but perhaps anyone would be willing to share their thoughts about the Richard Petty Driving Experience?
I would love to book this as a surprise for my DH this summer, the cost is kinda crazy, but if this is something he would totally love, then it would be worth it.
So question one: Does one need to be a NASCAR freak to enjoy this? DH loves to watch the races, but doesn't own any paraphernalia like little cars or jackets, he does know the dudes' names...Is this general guy enjoyable or car racer obsessed enjoyable?
Where is the race track exactly located? I looked on the website and it seems there is two? Orlando and WDW speedway? Is it something that he can walk to? To which park is it closest to?
Ok, and more importantly...um, do people die during this or is this really, really safe?
Sorry if this is too much or in the wrong forum, I do appreciate your patience as I learn to navigate this wonderfully useful site.

He does not need to be a NASCAR freak to enjoy it. If he has ever fantasized about going round the track the it is for him. IMO it is definitely general guy friendly. And totally cool!!!

There is only one track - WDW Speedway. It is located on the back edge of the MK parking lot. You drive by it after going through the MK parking toll plaza. It is on the left.

He cannot walk to it. You can either drive your car through the tunnel (located on the MK parking lot exit) or if you do not have a car, you can catch a van ride at the kennels near the TTC. Closest park (if you havent guessed by now) is MK.

The RPDE is extremely safe. You are driving real race cars with NASCAR approved saftey features (roll cages, five point safety harness, flame retardent fire suit, helmet). The cars are inspected daily and probably mutiple times during the day. When you are out on the track, unless you are doing the super-deluxe-costs-a-million-driving-school, you will be out on your section of track with one other car. You will go out with a pace car - another stock car with an instructor driving. He will provide your pace and show you the line (they also have it marked on the track). And they will allow 2-3 pairs on the track, at safe spacing (usually a turn or more away from each other).

That said, driving a race car at high speeds IS dangerous. I did the RPDE at Loudon NH and I had to sign a whole bunch of waivers. One of which said 'that even though I follow all instructions, I may even get injured or even die'. I laughed, DW got nervous. But think about it - could you not say the same thing about driving to the grocery store?

It is safe. It is really really safe. I have never heard about anyone getting injured or killed while doing this. The folks that run the RPDE are professionals and they take every precaution imaginabel to make sure you leave in one piece. I think your husband will love it. I know for me it was a fantastic experience - I wish I could do it again and someday I will.

Enjoy!!!

We are Nascar fanatics, but it is great for anyone that just enjoys racing and fast cars. We loved this - DH and I did it for our birthdays three years ago, used our AP discount and could only afford the ride-along since we both did it. It went way too fast (meaning it was over too quickly), but we got keepsake plaques with our pictures on them, and you can't smile any bigger than we are!
We just took the monorail from MK over to the TTC, walked down by the kennels and there is a spot marked for the shuttle to the track. We called the track in advance from our room (front desk put us through) to reserve our times, which you have to do. The other experiences if he's driving take at least 3 hours because of the training and safety class first, so you have to reserve the time.
He'll love it! And the family can watch as well, just ask where you can stand inside the track and watch him go around.

Thank you so, so much ! That is exactly what I as looking for! DH does love fast cars, and is a much bigger Formula 1 fan, which I doubt he'll ever get to experience, so this probably will be just as good.
Thank you for easing my safety fears, I do of course know that you can get hurt driving regularly, but having seen a few of those car races with crashes made me a bit nervous about this. It doesn't sound too bad from what you're describing.
I did call them and apparently they have a 10% military discount! the 18 lap experience seems much more worth it than 3 if you break down the cost per lap..but is 18 laps an overkill? Do people get bored driving for so long?

Oops, never mind, just looked again, I guess the Rookie experience is 8 laps and the next one up is 18. 8 would make much more sense on the wallet ;)

Based on what you are saying about DH - the 8 laps will be plenty. But beware - he may want to upgrade to the 18 after the first 8 - it is that much of a rush!!!!

Thanks! Really? I don't know much at all about racing and race cars. We lived in Germany for 5 years and DH did drive on the autobahn regularly above 90 miles per hour, a few times for fun and while there road was empty he did go to a bit above 120, he does love that and misses driving fast here on highways. Does it feel different from that? Or is it really about the experience? I am guessing a 600 h/p car drives differently than a 219 one? Thank you though, I am booking it for the day we will be at MK!

Allow a good three hours for the program - they have safety demonstrations, take him out on the track to show the driving lines, etc.

The feeling is incredible. The car shakes with the engine. It is loud, and the car jumps when you touch the accelerator. The pace car will only go as fast as the student is able to go. Sounds like your DH will be pushing the envelope. The track at WDW is banked and if it is anything like the experience at Loudon, NH (Where I did mine) they will tell him not to touch the brake :scared1: . You just roll off the gas going into the turn, and roll back on coming out. It is something I guarantee he will never forget. I know for me it took three weeks for the ear-to-ear grin to subside off my face. It will make the autobahn feel like the drive-thru lane.

Wow, that sounds totally cool, now make me kinda want to do it ;) Thanks so much, I am pretty sure he would like it, sounds like a total rush...just have to keep it secret for 2 months somehow, argh!!!

How much is this? Where can I find the price lists? How far in advance do you need to book this? I have someone interested in doing this next year.

How much is this? Where can I find the price lists? How far in advance do you need to book this? I have someone interested in doing this next year.

Here is a link to their site:

http://www.1800bepetty.com/experience/DriveExp.aspx

As with most other reservations, the sooner the better. The ride-a-longs are just walk-up. The driving experiences mostly need reservations. I am not sure how far in advance you can reserve at WDW but I am sure you can get the answer from the website.

I have booked this for my Hubby, he turns 40 this year, is a HUGE Nascar fan and he has no idea I've booked it yet.

Its a great big suprise!!!

DD finds out next week that we are going to Disney and DH finds out he is attending the Rookie Experience......I am so excited but its very hard to hold in 2 huge secrets I might burst!

So from the MK I can take the Monorail to the speedway? What is the TTC?

Hi!
I got this for my husband for Fathers Day last year, he used it when we went down in October '08. He loves cars but not really NASCAR. He loved this experience.

If you book make sure to ask about discounts, we used AAA and saved 20%. It's a great gift, he'll really enjoy it!

I'm over 60 and have done the ride along twice. Incredible rush. I had a blast. You don't need reservations for the ride along... One time we had a rental car, and we were able to ride into the infield thru the track tunnel. that was fun too.
07-05-2007093637PM-1.jpg
DrivingExperienceJuly07.jpg

We got my Dad a gift card for his birthday 2 years ago to do the ride along & I think he never stopped grinning for about 2 days after! He got the picture/plaque thing & has it hanging in their living room.

As others mentioned the ride along is a couple hours. We got there 1st thing so were in & done & to Epcot by about noon. We just got a cab from the resort over to the Speedway. For the few $$ it is the easiest, quickest option. After, they took us in their van right over to MK where we just hopped the monorail to Epcot.

Also - someone posted the website, go sign up & get on their mailing list. We still get coupons from them... some have been up to 50% off! No promises... but if you can snag a discount, it is worth signing up.

As far as safety, for the ride along my Dad did they were the only car on the track & he was in full gear (suit, belts, neck brace, helmet, etc). That is part of why it takes so long -- you have to get all geared up before going out.

Be sure you take a camera along, because they have bleachers where you can sit & watch.

Can't speak to the full day, drive your own, but if they run that as well as the ride alongs, I imagine it would be a real treat! I do seem to remember they only offered the longer/full day programs on certain days of the week, so you should call ahead just to be sure. Don't know if that has changed in the past few years -- so better safe, than sorry!

The staff there is very friendly, knowlegeable & polite. Definately schooled in the Disney way of treating the guest. :thumbsup2

I have booked this for my Hubby, he turns 40 this year, is a HUGE Nascar fan and he has no idea I've booked it yet.

Its a great big suprise!!!

DD finds out next week that we are going to Disney and DH finds out he is attending the Rookie Experience......I am so excited but its very hard to hold in 2 huge secrets I might burst!

So from the MK I can take the Monorail to the speedway? What is the TTC?

Wow! I don't know if I could ever keep two secrets that are so big! As to your questions...

If you are at MK, you take the Monorail (or Ferry Boat) to the TTC (Transportation and Ticket center), which is basically the parking and ticket windows for MK (and then some). From there, you can take a shuttle bus to the speedway, which is on the far side of the MK parking lot.

You pick the Rickard Petty Driving Experience Van up in front of the kennel at the Ticket and Transportation Center. They run every few minutes.

thank you both so much! I am bursting at the seams here SUNDAY is the big day that everyone finds out my secrets......eeek! Thanks for letting me know how to get to the speedway, I was nervous trying to figure this all out....

It's a lot of fun. I've done it 3 times, twice at Louden, NH and once at Disney. I gave it to DH for his birthday back when we were dating and he loved it. Now we argue on our next time, I want to do Briston and he wants to do Daytona :rotfl:

My DH is soooooo uber excited about doing this, I surprised him for his b-day, he is doing the Rookie Experience on April 8th on WDW. I cannot wait to watch him do it. :banana:

My ? is: How close do I get to be in order to take pictures? Where will they let me stand? Hang out at?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter