• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Richard Petty Driving Experience...safety?

bangzoom6877

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of giving DH a ride-along at the WDW Speedway for his 35th Birthday. His birthday is not until early May, but we have a WDW trip booked for the last week of July, and I thought it would be a great gift to give him a ride-along. The ride-along is in our price-range, and I think he would enjoy it.

But...I am concerned about safety. How safe is this? Yes, I just saw the tragic news about the Indy300 in Las Vegas...a terrible 15-car accident. The family and loved ones are in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time for them. So yes, I am now worried about getting this for DH. For anyone who has experience with this, whether it was you or someone you know that did the ride-along...do you feel like it can be trusted? Are there any safety stats out there or anything like that, which I can read? I know this sounds extremely paranoid but I want to make sure this is safe before I decide to buy it for him. Thanks!

I looked into this as well for DH but when I found out the top speed was a little over 100, I didn't really think it was worth it. By all means, that may be fast to someone but my DH is a speed demon and has driven well over 150 mph more times than he could count. It would've been a waste of money for us. I'm sure the safety is top notch. And they don't have 15 cars out there at once... I believe it's only 1 when you do the ride along but I could be wrong :confused3

I looked into this as well for DH but when I found out the top speed was a little over 100, I didn't really think it was worth it. By all means, that may be fast to someone but my DH is a speed demon and has driven well over 150 mph more times than he could count. It would've been a waste of money for us. I'm sure the safety is top notch. And they don't have 15 cars out there at once... I believe it's only 1 when you do the ride along but I could be wrong :confused3

the website says 160mph - is that not right?

I am a 65 year old female NASCAR fan and I have done the ride along twice. We did reach speeds of up to 160 mph. I had a blast. You might be on the track by yourself or you can be on the track with the school. I had on my Hans device, a fire suit, and I really enjoyed the speed. The driver is an employee of "The Richard Petty Driving Experience".
Go for it.
Sign up for the newsletter. In December they have 1/2 off offers for the ride along and the other experiences for the future year. I have done the ride along for $59 with the prepaid offer.
Michele
07-05-2007093637PM-1.jpg
DrivingExperienceJuly07-1.jpg

For what its worth I found one listing for a fatality but it for the one at Daytona Beach.

Here is a list of major incidents at WDW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Walt_Disney_World_Resort

I'm not sure what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure that if you drive to WDW you have I don't know a 3000% better chance of being in an accident in your car on the way.

While its tragic what happened in Las Vegas I really don't think it compares at all to what they do at WDW.

I hit 145 at Petty and I felt a lot safer than going 80 on Route 95.

I am a 65 year old female NASCAR fan and I have done the ride along twice. We did reach speeds of up to 160 mph. I had a blast. You might be on the track by yourself or you can be on the track with the school. I had on my Hans device, a fire suit, and I really enjoyed the speed. The driver is an employee of "The Richard Petty Driving Experience".
Go for it.
Sign up for the newsletter. In December they have 1/2 off offers for the ride along and the other experiences for the future year. I have done the ride along for $59 with the prepaid offer.
Michele
07-05-2007093637PM-1.jpg
DrivingExperienceJuly07-1.jpg

I know that as DVC members, they currently offer us 20% off any of the experiences, including the ride-along. I will check things out though in December to see if we find something less expensive than that...thanks for that tip! What you said also made me feel better...when you say "employee" of "The Richard Petty Driving Experience", does that mean that the person is a professional racecar driver or instructor?

For what its worth I found one listing for a fatality but it for the one at Daytona Beach.

Here is a list of major incidents at WDW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Walt_Disney_World_Resort

I'm not sure what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure that if you drive to WDW you have I don't know a 3000% better chance of being in an accident in your car on the way.

While its tragic what happened in Las Vegas I really don't think it compares at all to what they do at WDW.

OK, I read your link, and it did not mention the WDW SPeedway at all...but did seem to mention everything else. Thanks for posting this, it did make me feel better, although a small part of me is freaking out over the one fatality, even though it wasn't at WDW.

I hit 145 at Petty and I felt a lot safer than going 80 on Route 95.

This made me :rotfl2:!!! Reminds me of how I felt on test Track the first time...safer than getting off the highway going 40mph on the exit ramp! :lmao:

Like a PP said you wear a firesuit and a HANS device. But back in 2000 when I did the Ride-Along (my dad did it recently) I wore shorts and tshirt, no firesuit, and just a simple helmet. This was of course before Dale Earnhardt's accident when the HANS device came into (much needed) popularity and full usage among drivers.

I know that as DVC members, they currently offer us 20% off any of the experiences, including the ride-along. I will check things out though in December to see if we find something less expensive than that...thanks for that tip! What you said also made me feel better...when you say "employee" of "The Richard Petty Driving Experience", does that mean that the person is a professional racecar driver or instructor?

If you do the ride along, the driver (employee) is a professional instructor or maybe even a race car driver.
Several years ago we were staying at the Contemporary and there was lots of noise coming from the track. Later I found out Danika Patrick was testing for JR Motor Sports on the Disney track for her Nationwide debut. If I had know she was there, I would have gone to the track. If you have a rental car you can drive under the tunnel and come up in the infield and walk into the check-in office. At the track there are bleachers for your family to sit and watch you drive.

Dearest wife gave me a rookie experience for Christmas once. It was a total blast. I hit 148 around MIS. No problems and I loved every minute of it. I loved it so much I wanted her to have a ride and bought a ride along while we were there. Safe as can be. There were a lot of people there and no problems.

Never did it but I would think the car is the only one on the track,,,not a kazillion like the one that wrecked the other day killing the driver

Never did it but I would think the car is the only one on the track,,,not a kazillion like the one that wrecked the other day killing the driver

When I did it, I was instructed to "chase" a car driven by one of the employees. He was setting my pace and basically it was clear I would never catch up to him as (a) I'm sure my car had some sort of 160 MPH governor on it; and (b) I didn't have the confidence to go fast enough to wreck....on my honeymoon.... :woohoo:

hey guys if you're planning a trip for sometime in 2012, I read somewhere that Richard Petty Driving Experience is getting ready to launch an "exotic car driving experience" at Walt Disney World Speedway. The only info I can find on the endeavor right now is on www.projectexotic.com. But sounds like it would be a GREAT gift for disney dads!

I did it. It's not an Indy car race, they don't go at Indy car speeds and there are no other cars to run into.

I did it. It's not an Indy car race, they don't go at Indy car speeds and there are no other cars to run into.

Just walls and the instructor car who's setting the pace for you. :thumbsup2

For the previous poster who asked, they're automatics, not sticks.

hey guys if you're planning a trip for sometime in 2012, I read somewhere that Richard Petty Driving Experience is getting ready to launch an "exotic car driving experience" at Walt Disney World Speedway. The only info I can find on the endeavor right now is on www.projectexotic.com. But sounds like it would be a GREAT gift for disney dads!

curious,,,are the cars sticks? or automatic?

Just walls and the instructor car who's setting the pace for you. :thumbsup2

For the previous poster who asked, they're automatics, not sticks.

I think he was referring to the post about the exotic car experience.

Most of those F-what evers, at least for real exotic car drivers, would be stick but I would assume for this ride they would have to automatics. Wouldn't be fun learning stick above 100 mph. :thumbsup2

Very, very safe!! Purchased a ride along for my DH at the Charlotte track. The cars are just like those in Nascar. Same safety equipment. Drivers are well trained. They do not go the speeds nor have more than one other car on the track. Yes, please do this for your DH - mine loved it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter