Richard Petty Driving Experience-Ride along

Lyn-CA

DIS Veteran
DH is very interested in the ride along program. I'm looking for input -- good and bad from those who have done this.

TIA

We surprised DH a few years back for Fathers Day and he had a blast.
But now he's dying to do the program where he can drive the car himself. Need to save for that one!!

DH is very interested in the ride along program. I'm looking for input -- good and bad from those who have done this.

TIA

We surprised DH a few years back for Fathers Day and he had a blast.
But now he's dying to do the program where he can drive the car himself. Need to save for that one!!

I'm not a huge NASCAR/auto sports fan, but if I were to do this, I'd just save up and do the school and hands-on driving ticket instead of the ride-along.

It looks fun either way though! Hope he enjoys it! :thumbsup2

Personally, I can't stand NASCAR, but this experience was definitely one I will never forget. Of course, I actually drove the car and did not do the ride-along program.

I have to say that, if you can somehow save for it, definitely do the program where you can drive the car. It was just an amazing experience.

You have to be able to drive a stick shift for the driving experience...poor hubby can't, so he is going to be stuck with the ridealong.

Having done a ride along and driving program and BOTH Disney and the Lowes Motor Speedway (just outside of Charlotte, NC), I can recommend this.............

IF you want to spend the money, do it on the DRIVING part. The ride along at WDW isn't real fast (just FYI). For example, the Petty ride along at LMS in charlotte is around 160mph whereas at WDW it's just not nearly as fast seeming.

Driving is fun no matter the speed or track so if you are going to do it, do it as the driving program.

DH did the ride-along and loved it. He definitely wants to drive the car himself next time!

I did the ride along on July 3rd at WDW. I had a blast. Where else can a 61 yo women go 145+ mph, whooping it up... I'm not a #8 fan, but that was the next car in line for the ride along.

07-05-2007093637PM-1.jpg

Having done a ride along and driving program and BOTH Disney and the Lowes Motor Speedway (just outside of Charlotte, NC), I can recommend this.............

IF you want to spend the money, do it on the DRIVING part. The ride along at WDW isn't real fast (just FYI). For example, the Petty ride along at LMS in charlotte is around 160mph whereas at WDW it's just not nearly as fast seeming.

Driving is fun no matter the speed or track so if you are going to do it, do it as the driving program.

Yea, well, 2 totally different style tracks there :). I'm sure it would be a blast to ride or drive at the MickYard, but I'm sure that Charlotte, er I mean Lowes Motor Speedway is much more intense :)

We just came back from a quick weekend/anniversary trip and the RPDE was my gift to the hubby. He did the "Rookie Experience" so he got to drive and absolutely loved it! He also did the ride along before he actually drove and loved that too!! The driver for the ride along told him they were probably going in the neighborhood of 140+. When he got to drive his top speed was only about 122. Even though he would have liked to go faster he had a blast! He is ready to go again. Although next time, we will probably go to Daytona because the track is bigger and they let you go faster.

DH did both the Rookie Experience(driving alone) and the Ride-Along last November and LOVED them both. We are big NASCAR fans(#8) and it was my present to him for our anniversary. It was a great day and he enjoyed every moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter