Rice at meals?

lkohawaii

DIS Veteran
O.K. for those of you out there wondering what silly question I'm going to ask. For those of you "local Hawaii" people you'll know how important our rice is to us. For those of you who don't know some of us could eat rice 3 times a day ( kind of like other's potatos). I've refrained from asking this question for quite some time..but have to ask now. Can we get rice at meals on the Magic? Not, Uncle Ben's now... regular sticky rice? If I put in a request will they try to accomidate us ( I'll even give them my rice pot if it helps). I know of at least 3 Hawaii families on our cruise that would really appreciate rice. Now, a few days without it is bearable...but not all 7. Someone who understands our dilema please post.

I don't know the answer, but I'm curious to find out. My dd LOVES rice and this would be a good way to vary her diet from fries and peanut butter and jelly! ;)

i haven't been yet, but I looked up in my Passporter that on the 7-day cruise an Asian lunch buffet is offered on day three. that would have to have rice.
SHHH!it also doesnt bother me if you pack an electric rice steamer in your luggage and cook your own rice in your room. SHHH!

Thanks...Jasmine rice will do. It's not the same but it'll come close enough to our calrose rice( yes, I actually thought of the correct name for the "sticky rice"). Do they have them at all the dinners.? I can go without for breakfast and lunch but it sure would be nice with dinner.

All you need to do is make your server aware of your preference the first night and they will do just about anything to get it done. We even had one server from India we got along with especially well after a brief discussion offered to serve us what HE gets for dinner, if we were interested in traditional India foods.

DCL is home to crew from about 60 different countries....chances are very good that some of those countries have sticky rice as a food staple so I am sure they would have it onboard. DCL tries to be diverse in the food for the crew (as told to us on the Galley Tour).

Ask your server and I would bet that they could accomodate you!!!

MJ

On the menu every night, there is a "Lighter Fare" section that gives a basic Chicken/Steak/Fish option. In that section it says:
All of the above served with Steamed Rice or Baked Potato with selection of Steamed Garden Vegetables
So, clearly they have rice available every night, and mixing and matching entrees and side dishes is usually never a problem, so rice every night shouldn't be a problem at all.

You shouldn't have any problem getting rice on board. It's one of the staples that's always available in the Crew Mess so shouldn't be a problem getting it in guest areas. I don't know if it's the "sticky" rice or long-grained steamed rice but I'm sure it's not "instant rice". Just let your server know your preferences.

Thanks everyone. My friend and her family will be so relieved to hear we can have rice. We were just to ashamed to ask. The closer it gets to our cruise though the more important the issue became. Thank you guys so much. We're sitting on the same table I think ( at least we requested it) so it won't be too hard for our server.

Always remember they are here to serve YOU! Don't be ashamed to ask for anything withn reason. :) Drove me nuts the time we had my parents along and my mother instead of speaking up when she didn't like a dish would just sit there and sulk, we finally convinced her of the above fact and everything went so smooth from there.

Yes, Sushi rice is the right kind of rice. My freinds and I got a laugh today out of my post. They said the rice I'm talking about is Calrose medium grain rice. But, if they make sushi out of it that's the kind. :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter