Rheumatoid Arthritis

kkc_mom

Mouseketeer
I am new here to the boards and have never visited this one until now. I am 33 yrs old and have had quite a bit of joint pain this week. I went to the ER last night and was told that I have tested postitive for RA. I met with my Primary Care Physician today and she has put in my referral to the rheumatologist. So now I wait. Anyone have RA and have any suggestions as to help relieve the pain and swelling? Unfortunately I am allergic to aspirin so their is no anti inflammatory drugs that my doctor could think of to give me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have RA, but I did work for a Rheumatologist for 5 years and you are certainly headed in the right direction. Since I don't know your history, I can't suggest anything for you, but many of her patients took Advil=Ibuprofen or Aleve=Naproxen, but more commonly took prescription NSAIDS or Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs, but I don't which ones remain and which ones have been removed because of adverse side effects. There are many antiinflammatories on the market (prescription), but most Primary Care Physicians aren't familiar with them, but the Rheumatologist will be. My mother has OsteoArthritis and takes Indocin. Most medications that are used to relieve joint pain are by prescription only. The Rheumatologist is going to have to do alot of blood tests and a thorough exam to find out where you are in progression of the disease and how you should be treated.

Good Luck and know that this diagnosis is not going to prevent you from living a normal life, remain active and do everything that the Rheumatologist tells you to do and once you are on a set protocol, you shouldn't have many problems.

Suzanne princess:

I dont have RA, but I have EDS, and the beginnings of OA. If its in your hands, there are some great gloves 'Thermoskin gloves" (just google it) that use your own body heat to provide steady slow heat to your hands... i've heard they work wonderfully.

your rheumy should be able to help with medications you can take. in the meantime, i suggest warm bubble baths!

my mom has RA and is 80, but doing pretty good( she has some other problems unrelated as well). ra is different than osteo arthritis since it affects your other organs , not just skeletal...i think it's autoimmune...but listen to your dr, take your meds and you should be ok. she is still very active and has had little adverse affects. i can't take asprin or tylenol either but have a condition that causes pain and my dr recommends motrin . imo it works better than aleve which does nothing for me( and then you can't take it for 12 hrs ) it takes the edge off and i take enough meds as it is...

Hi, I have psoriatic arthritis (similar to RA) and I'm on Enbrel and methotrexate which have helped me tremendously. PM me any time if you need info.

I do not have this and really do not know much about it, but isn't this particular board great... you can ask a question about something specific and posters will step up to the plate and help in whatever way they can...

I am sure others will give you more information when they check this board. Hugs to you, hope you find some relief for your discomfort...

My Sister in law was diagnosed with RA 3 years ago. It progressed rather quickly, to the point that she could not write or tie her shoes (She was 36 at the time) My brother found out about Humira thru internet reserch. She got her Dr. to Prescribe it. It has worked wonders! She has almost no symptoms after 2 years of taking it. Ask your Dr. to put you on it, and do not take no for an answer (It is expensive) but most insurances will pay for it. You will not be sorry. Good luck!

I don't know what your allergy involves, or if they even do this in rheumatology. But in cardiology, if it's really important that a patient take aspirin, yet they're allergic, sometimes they'll "desensitize" the person to aspirin so they can take it. As the rheumatologist if this would be an option for you. Good luck with everything. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter