RFID turnstiles at EPCOT

I can't see it saving that much time. It looks like it will still require a finger scan. Problems with finger scans will still cause a delay. I have a problem with my finger scan at least half the time I go through a turnstyle. I know it is the finger and not the AP as I also have a finger scan login for my laptop and half the time it won't accept my finger print there either.
They may be going to this since they are implementing the chips for the unlimited drink mugs at the resorts. Since the chips will be in your KTTW cards for that and a lot of people have their park tickets on their KTTW cards, why not.

Somebody on touringplans.com posted a comment that the new RFID system could be put in place for the coming of wristbands instead of cards. I think it makes sense.

Here are some wristband pics! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

More pics ---> HERE

2cr55z5.jpg

jb4t4l.jpg

It does look cool, but a little slow. I know it doesn't take me ten seconds to get through a regular turnstile. Families with small children will probably be even slower.

10 seconds...wow, mind-blowing speed.:laughing: Oh well, maybe someday!

I'm not in love with the idea of wristbands. I don't like wearing things on my wrist. It bugs me.

And I can imagine it could pose a problem with some sensory defensive kids. My son would NOT wear anything on his wrist until sometime in the last year. Posed all sorts of problems when we were at functions that required them.

I can see the advantage of not having to put your ticket in a certain direction. There are many times we are behind people who can't manage to feed them the right way.

We seem to get behind those people too often at rope drop. :) I think they are using invalid tickets.

Oh please not wristbands - I hate the wristbands that they put on for MVMCP & MNSSHP. My wrists swell and I always have to ask them to put them on loose. Some CM's won't do it.
I only wear a watch - hate bracelets on my wrist.

Oh please not wristbands - I hate the wristbands that they put on for MVMCP & MNSSHP. My wrists swell and I always have to ask them to put them on loose. Some CM's won't do it.
I only wear a watch - hate bracelets on my wrist.

The are an optional purchase and they are adjustable. They have notches like a watch.

I got to do this today, even with the new system and people not knowing what they were doing it was very fast.

That is correct.

The ticket will read any of the four different ways that it can be put into the gate reader.

Same goes for the FP machines.
I read your post and I appreciate your perspective. However, it wasn't about the 'seconds' it was about the 'mind blowing' but that's no longer an issue. :)

I have questions regarding the numbers you cited. I'm confident that a thread of this nature will likely emerge at some later point. Hopefully, you can offer me further insight regarding this technology at that time. Thanks. :goodvibes

so what happens to those of us who have annual passes distributed before this was put in place

I just got my renewal AP two days ago, and there's no chip - just the same old AP. So if it's going property wide, they certainly weren't prepared for it.

I just got my renewal AP two days ago, and there's no chip - just the same old AP. So if it's going property wide, they certainly weren't prepared for it.

If and when they do make this change,
it would be a matter of either using both systems for awhile,
and/or asking AP holders head to any ticket booth or Guest Relations
to get a new free AP upgrade with the new chip when they're at WDW.

While I'm sure they are doing it since the rfid reader will have less moving parts then one that has to process the ticket, but I think it's much deeper then that. No I'm not a tin foil person, but WDW likes to know how people travel, where they are going etc etc, they could easily put scanners in many places and 'track' your movements. Not that they dont study the flow of people as it is. And it will be faster as people get used to it, and as stated it appears to take up less space so more gates in the same real estate.

I went there yesterday (11/13) and didnt want the sticker on my AP and was told no problem. Besides...it covers up the photo on the ticket.

It is interesting how so many have not seen the advantages of the RFID. It isn't just about the entry into the park, what about the countless times you end up having to feed the card into FP machines, show your annual pass for your discount, show your card to charge something to your room?

With the RFID, you could easily get your fast passes (a whole stack at a time if they make them smart enough). When you pay for something, you just put your card next to the reader and it gives you your discount and allows you to charge to your card.

It is about much more than just the entry into the park IMO. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter