RFID Touch to Pay Room Keys start in Dec

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by mousermerf, Nov 13, 2012.

1. mousermerf

mousermerf DIS Veteran

Sometime in December guests checking into Walt Disney World Resort hotels will be asked to specify pin numbers for their room key cards. These cards will be RFID enabled and be used as part of the roll out of a touch-to-pay system.

http://www.epcyclopedia.com/2012/11...-out-in-december-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

This is step 1 in rolling out the RFID payment and ticketing system, which will bring about the wristband room keys and tickets replacing cards.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Bell30012

Bell30012 DIS Veteran

Art of Animation already has the RFID cards.

4. consumermonkey

consumermonkey Mouseketeer

I think most, if not all the rooms have the RFID key tech, but this is the next step up. The key-cards used to have the magnetic strip for charging priv's, from December that is going to be RFID too, hence the PIN.

Apparently in the near future the key-card will become a wristband with the RFID chip incorporated into it, all part of next-gen stuff.

5. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

Yes, but if you read the post more clearly, the first phase is almost complete and this is the next phase to transition to the wrist bracelets to pay for items at the resort and parks stores.

I really wish people would read posts and actually understand them before posting. While your post did not offer incorrect information, it could have given more accurate info that could have been more helpful.

6. angelmom27

angelmom27 DIS Veteran

I will have to see what the wristband is like. Will it be something like a hospital bracelet that you are stuck wearing your whole trip?

7. 3boys4me

3boys4me DIS Veteran

That's what I am concerned about. As soon as I get home all jewelry comes off. I do not sleep with even my wedidng rings on. Having to wear a bracelet for 10 days would drive me nuts!!

8. GaSleepingBeautyFan

GaSleepingBeautyFan DIS Veteran

I could see myself forgetting the pin number. I guess I'll have to write it down and carry it with me.

I'm hoping the bracelets can just be put in a bag and just pulled out when needed.

My arms/hands/feet/ankles tend to swell with all the heat and walking around at Disney and a bracelet would be very uncomfortable quickly.

9. magicaldisney

magicaldisney DIS Veteran

Some thoughts I have since I will be there in December.....

Just one pin #, right? Each card wouldn't need a different pin #, would it? If you don't want charging privileges, would you still need to provide a pin #?

10. Simba's Girl

Simba's Girl DIS Veteran

absolutely!!!! and I'm sure they will be oh so chique...:lmao:

11. Wood Nymph

Wood Nymph DIS Veteran

I really hope that they make the wristband optional, because I really hate to wear wristbands.

12. Polydweller

Polydweller DIS Veteran

Of course not. It's not a hospital where patients can't always identify themselves (ie after surgery) it's a theme park. There are pictures around. It's a removable, disposable, wrist watch type band. Put it on in the morning remove when you leave the parks. You can choose to wear it or not.

13. angelmom27

angelmom27 DIS Veteran

Oh goodie. I am not a big jewelry wearer. And I know DH won't want to wear it either. I haven't seen the pics of it yet. Thanks for letting me know.

14. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

There's one in the link that's in the first post of this thread.:thumbsup2

15. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

I can see loosing a wristband. And since I have APs I won't have tickets on a wristband. I'd like to see the design. Would have to be adjustable.
    Sometimes if I get the DDP, I have to have a 2 day park ticket added which I save and use for AP renewal. Now will have to try and save wristband? Not as easy, won't fit into card holder I use to save my gift cards, and any kttw cards with tickets on it, and my AP. ugh

16. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

I'm assuming you will be able have them remove tickets from the wristbands just like you can have them removed from KTTWs and receive paper tickets.:thumbsup2

17. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 Registered

There was a generic picture floating around earlier this year of what the bracelets are going to/said to look like.

It appeared that the wristband portion was stretchy - kind of like one of those Livestrong bracelets and could come off and on easily.

ETA: Found one of the ones... http://dizfanatic.com/DizTech012-Disney_NextGen_Wristband_FCC.jpg

18. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

That does not show the wristband. :confused3

19. Mack1

Mack1 Earning My Ears

20. lylone

lylone All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura

I am all for the wristbands! It would be easier than keeping up with a KTTW card. One less thing in a pocket/bag!

21. MakiraMarlena

MakiraMarlena It's a big black fish to you

It's been said the APs will also be accessible from the wristband. It taps into your account with Disney, and your account knows you have an AP.

The idea is that we will be doing EVERYTHING from the wristband. Park admission, room keys, charging back to the room account, checking into restaurants for ADRs, getting fastpasses.