RFID....is there an alternative

theparsons

DIS Veteran
I am someone who simply can't stand having something around my wrist....I don't wear bracelets (or rings or necklaces either), I don't carry a purse because I don't want it on my wrist even for a few minutes while I dig around in it......I don't even like to wear long sleeve anything (thank heavens I live in Arizona where our "winter" is in the 70's, lol). Even the times I've been at the hospital I've objected (or torn it off when the nurse wouldn't agree, bad mommy) and eventually a doctor would give me my way. (Before anyone flames me, it's not arrogance/stubbornness/primadonna, I seriously can't handle it on my wrist....I yank and tug and pull on it like it's something that is hurting me....so badly that when my twin daughters were born, they wanted to put two wristbands on me, I refused, they told me I wouldn't be able to leave the hospital with the girls without matching up, and I finally got them to put both on my husband and only he could sign them out....poor dear had to wear those things for nearly a month at work until our preemies could come home...if that's not love....).

So will I HAVE to wear this wristband or go to Guest Services each day and whine? I know it's "optional" right now, but we aren't going until November so I'm guessing by then all the non-RFID APs are going to be renewed.

Is there some alternative?

Or, can I hang it on my lanyard (where my AP has always lived) and just lift it up next to the Mickey head thingy and everyone can be happy...Disney because I'm using it and Me because it is NOT near my wrist. I can handle a lanyard because it's wide enough to barely touch me....whereas a necklace I can't handle and have broken every one I've ever been given!

Yes, I know I am weird....but I'm nearly 50 years old and been this way since I was born. :crazy2:

I am someone who simply can't stand having something around my wrist....I don't wear bracelets (or rings or necklaces either), I don't carry a purse because I don't want it on my wrist even for a few minutes while I dig around in it......I don't even like to wear long sleeve anything (thank heavens I live in Arizona where our "winter" is in the 70's, lol). Even the times I've been at the hospital I've objected (or torn it off when the nurse wouldn't agree, bad mommy) and eventually a doctor would give me my way. (Before anyone flames me, it's not arrogance/stubbornness/primadonna, I seriously can't handle it on my wrist....I yank and tug and pull on it like it's something that is hurting me....so badly that when my twin daughters were born, they wanted to put two wristbands on me, I refused, they told me I wouldn't be able to leave the hospital with the girls without matching up, and I finally got them to put both on my husband and only he could sign them out....poor dear had to wear those things for nearly a month at work until our preemies could come home...if that's not love....).

So will I HAVE to wear this wristband or go to Guest Services each day and whine? I know it's "optional" right now, but we aren't going until November so I'm guessing by then all the non-RFID APs are going to be renewed.

Or, can I hang it on my lanyard (where my AP has always lived) and just lift it up next to the Mickey head thingy and everyone can be happy...Disney because I'm using it and Me because it is NOT near my wrist. I can handle a lanyard because it's wide enough to barely touch me....whereas a necklace I can't handle and have broken every one I've ever been given!

Yes, I know I am weird....but I'm nearly 50 years old and been this day since I was born. :crazy2:

Everything we've heard is that the bands will be optional. RFID cards will be the alternative.

Everything we've heard is that the bands will be optional. RFID cards will be the alternative.

Most likely that's right but the caveat is that until Disney fully rolls out the system (and they are still in testing phase) its not 100 percent sure what the final system will look like. Testing could lead to changes and enhancements.

Most likely that's right but the caveat is that until Disney fully rolls out the system (and they are still in testing phase) its not 100 percent sure what the final system will look like. Testing could lead to changes and enhancements.

Agreed, but I'd wager huge money they won't force all guests to wear MagicBands.

Agreed, but I'd wager huge money they won't force all guests to wear MagicBands.

From all I've heard over the last couple of years, and it's been pretty consistent with the NextGen team, the wristband will be optional.

No, you won't actually have to wear the band to use it. It does not have a NOT VALID UNLESS USER HAS BAND AROUND WRIST policy.

Attach it to something else- belt loop, bag etc. have your SO hold it. I'm sure I will end up with four mine, my kids and my dh's , because he doesn't like to wear things.

Yes, I know I am weird....but I'm nearly 50 years old and been this way since I was born. :crazy2:

I had to laugh, not because I'm poking fun, but because I can relate. I don't wear bracelets either and necklaces usually drive me bonkers unless they are very long. I finally can wear a watch, but it is very loose. I don't like 3/4 sleeves, they feel like they are too short. I wear long sleeves because I live in Ohio and well, it gets stinkin' cold, but they are never button type only stretchy...SO NO! You're aren't the only weird one! Weirdos unite! I will allege they would never enforce the bracelet thing to be the ONLY option. First kids...enough said. Second, those who have sensitivity issues. There's a myriad of reasons. I wouldn't worry!

Disney doesn't force anyone to do anything. They aren't going to deny you entry just because you don't want to wear something on your wrist. I'm sure every single possibility has been brought up about that. Like little kids or people with allergic reactions or, like your case, just simply don't like having something on their wrist.

My husband and I don't normally wear watches so he's going to have to either deal with the wristbands (when and if they show up) or get an alternative. I'm not worried - Disney takes care of their guests.

No, you won't actually have to wear the band to use it. It does not have a NOT VALID UNLESS USER HAS BAND AROUND WRIST policy.

Yes as far as anyone knows it's not going to be attached to your wrist like a hospital bracelet and has to be cut off.

Don't worry. Within a couple of years they will use implanted chips instead of wristbands.

They will have to have some alternative, I'm sure. I'm allergic to stuff like that. What are they going to do, ban people like me
Because I'm allergic? I just don't think so.

Yeah, I fully agree but with Disney it's not 100% until its actually there.
Yes as far as anyone knows it's not going to be attached to your wrist like a hospital bracelet and has to be cut off.
They'd never do hospital bracelet type. Nobody would agree to that. The examples I've seen are either like a watch band and can definitely be removed.

I had to laugh, not because I'm poking fun, but because I can relate. I don't wear bracelets either and necklaces usually drive me bonkers unless they are very long. I finally can wear a watch, but it is very loose. I don't like 3/4 sleeves, they feel like they are too short. I wear long sleeves because I live in Ohio and well, it gets stinkin' cold, but they are never button type only stretchy...SO NO! You're aren't the only weird one! Weirdos unite! I will allege they would never enforce the bracelet thing to be the ONLY option. First kids...enough said. Second, those who have sensitivity issues. There's a myriad of reasons. I wouldn't worry!

Yea! Nice to know I'm not the only one....I was born in MI so I know what you mean about cold.....but I still would always take my jacket off the minute I got out of my mother's sight. Built up the ability to be fine in snow, so long as it wasn't coming down.....wet was cold, otherwise I was fine.

Thank you for making me feel a little less freaky, lol. :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter