RFID chip in paper cups?

SEC71

Mouseketeer
We are at Roaring Fork for dinner tonight and bought a fountain drink which allowed us to refill 4 times in a hour. So I guess there are RFID chips in the paper cups now? Seems like Disney is spending a lot of money but I am sure they will make it back.

I'm assuming RFID chips must be really cheap. This seems like a lot of trouble to go to when you're allowing 4 refills. I can't imagine having 4 refills in one hour.

I'm assuming RFID chips must be really cheap. This seems like a lot of trouble to go to when you're allowing 4 refills. I can't imagine having 4 refills in one hour.
They are.

A quick Google search shows a retail cost of $193.52 for a roll of 1000, or roughly $0.19 each (these are for 4x2 sticker-based RFID labels, which are likely quite a bit more costly than the individual chips built into the paper cups.)

I haven't really been following the mug thing. A use we never get them bit why the chip in a paper cup too? What would be the point?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I haven't really been following the mug thing. A use we never get them bit why the chip in a paper cup too? What would be the point?

Prevent abuse of the guest-facing dispensers. Chipping the cups allows the dispensers to refuse to dispense non-water to containers without the chips.

Yes, agree with a previous poster that RFID chips are extremely inexpensive. They are in library books these days. The technology isn't that expensive either.

I think where Disney will recoop their small investment with chips in a refillable mug is less wear and tear on the cashiers at the food courts. No more having to recognize an old mug. Now, you just buy what you need, upgrade if you have to, and the readers at the courts will do the rest.

Going back to the library book thing, I go online, reserve a book, the librarian finds the book in the library using his/her handheld RFID scanner, puts the book on a shelf for me to pick which I do, I scan my library card myself, pop the book across a reader and walk out of the library.

They are.

A quick Google search shows a retail cost of $193.52 for a roll of 1000, or roughly $0.19 each (these are for 4x2 sticker-based RFID labels, which are likely quite a bit more costly than the individual chips built into the paper cups.)

The tags inside the paper cups are very small .5"X.5" if I recall.

The dispenser needs a chip to dispense. So the paper cups must have a chip. It is very small on the bottom of the cup.

What I don't understand is that the RFID chip is only for the pop machine. You can still use old mugs for coffee and hot chocolate as there is no reader for them.

Rob

What I don't understand is that the RFID chip is only for the pop machine. You can still use old mugs for coffee and hot chocolate as there is no reader for them.

Rob

Most guests don't fill up old cups, 7-11 mugs, 2 ltr bottles with coffee or hot chocolate.

Even just last week I saw people with last years mugs filling them with coffee and hot chocolate. I would think that their cost level on those items would be higher than the pop machine. If your gonna do it than do it all at once would be my plan.

Rob

Our usual M.O is to buy the mugs and use the paper cups from our room to get hot chocolate and coffee. No matter how much I try I can not get the coffee taste out of a Disney mug :) So I can still do this, right? :confused3

Even just last week I saw people with last years mugs filling them with coffee and hot chocolate. I would think that their cost level on those items would be higher than the pop machine. If your gonna do it than do it all at once would be my plan. Rob

There is more profit in coffee than soda. When I worked at a gas station my boss said "all you have to do is sell one cup of coffee and the whole pot is paid for". Which is why even at 1am -4:30am when nobody came in, I was changing the pot of coffee every half hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter