RFID and Annual Passes

outahere

DIS Veteran
Since the WDW ticket sticky is on this forum, I thought I'd post this question here....

Our APs are about to expire and we may renew them while we're at WDW next month.

For anyone who has recently purchased an AP (or anyone who may know), are the APs now enabled for RFID?

Our current passes are the plastic ones, like a KTTW card, so they may be able to have the new passes with the RFID chip. If they are still selling the paper APs, or the plastic ones like we have, that means we would have to stand in line for the older turnstiles, instead of being able "breeze" through one of the new RFID lines.

Thanks.

I got a traditional Tyvek Annual on 1/24. Went through the regular gates all week.

I got a traditional Tyvek Annual on 1/24. Went through the regular gates all week.

Thanks....... I was afraid of that. We purchased our current passes at the Concierge desk at OKW last Feb. and got the plastic cards. I guess I'll check with the Concierge at GF when we're there next month. Since they seem to be rolling out almost everything with RFID, you would think they would do APs that way as well.

Boo! I'm buying a new AP for our May trip and I don't want to be stuck going through the slow turn styles. I have been hearing reports that it is taking upwards of 20 mins to get through during busier times. I wont even wait in attraction lines that long! :headache:

Boo! I'm buying a new AP for our May trip and I don't want to be stuck going through the slow turn styles. I have been hearing reports that it is taking upwards of 20 mins to get through during busier times. I wont even wait in attraction lines that long! :headache:

My thoughts exactly! You would think they would do RFID APs, especially with what they charge for an AP, and since passholders are some of their most loyal, repeat guests! I may have to re-think renewing our passes. Maybe they will be doing RFID passes by the time you get there in May.

We were just there this past weekend and the GF Conceirge informed us that some of the amenitites they used to have access to like selling annual passes they can no longer accomplish with the new system... we had to renew/purchase ours at Guest Services at MK. We were given the old Tyvek ones without RFID.

My thoughts exactly! You would think they would do RFID APs, especially with what they charge for an AP, and since passholders are some of their most loyal, repeat guests! I may have to re-think renewing our passes. Maybe they will be doing RFID passes by the time you get there in May.

Really??? You won't renew because a brand new system hasn't been rolled out to Annual Passholders yet? I doubt that very much.

Really?....Really? :rolleyes2

Really??? You won't renew because a brand new system hasn't been rolled out to Annual Passholders yet? I doubt that very much.

To be fair, I would think this would be THE reason not to renew. If they haven't rolled out the new program, and they won't release the new details, I sure wouldn't invest that type of money without knowing. I didn't order the special priced PAP from DVC simply because I wasn't sure how they would be treated.

Really?....Really? :rolleyes2

It is a lot of money, why wouldn't somebody in the dark be more cautious?

but you still get to do the same things. Who cares if your pass is RFID or not. As long as I can get in the park and get in my room, that's all that matters.

outahere said:

it might end up being better that your AP does not have RFID at first.

but you still get to do the same things. Who cares if your pass is RFID or not. As long as I can get in the park and get in my room, that's all that matters.

Exactly! What difference does it make? Eventually everything will be RFID. It is possible they would rather start with one type of ticket, get the glitches out and then epand to AP's. The same ppl claiming they "won't renew" would be complaining if they had it and there were glitches. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy Rockin' Rollercoaster just as much with my old, inferior AP.

Would you really not renew your AP simply because of the RFID? Seems to me that doesn't indicate a very loyal guest at all.

To be fair, I would think this would be THE reason not to renew. If they haven't rolled out the new program, and they won't release the new details, I sure wouldn't invest that type of money without knowing. I didn't order the special priced PAP from DVC simply because I wasn't sure how they would be treated.

So, you bought a PAP because of RFID, which hadn't even been rolled out yet and not because of the deep discount that they were offering them for. And now you feel slighted because a feature you weren't promised when you renewed isn't available.

So, you bought a PAP because of RFID, which hadn't even been rolled out yet and not because of the deep discount that they were offering them for. And now you feel slighted because a feature you weren't promised when you renewed isn't available.

Nope, I am unsure of the future of Annual Passes, so I reconsidered the purchase. I think it is fair to reconsider when all the details of a rapidly changing system are not available. When everything comes out and it looks good, I will reconsider again.

Nope, I am unsure of the future of Annual Passes, so I reconsidered the purchase. I think it is fair to reconsider when all the details of a rapidly changing system are not available. When everything comes out and it looks good, I will reconsider again.

The "future" of an annual pass is 365 days. You buy the pass, you get admission for 365 days (I think in reality it is 366 days). So what future are you unsure about? :confused3

Don't you think that they will have a way to change your paper AP to the RFID one, once it get rolled out?

Disney wants as many people as the can to have RFID card or bands.. I'm sure disney will have a way to exchange you AP for one..

The "future" of an annual pass is 365 days. You buy the pass, you get admission for 365 days (I think in reality it is 366 days). So what future are you unsure about? :confused3

The future status of MyMagic+ for Annual Passes is still "up in the air". Nobody is sure what that looks like. This new program will most likely be in full swing within the next 365 days. And Disney does have the right to change the "advantages" of an annual pass without notice. Like they did with the merchandise discounts and the PAP.

I sure don't want to argue over this. The OP was concerned about changes and didn't have enough information. That seems like enough reason to reconsider purchasing an AP. Outahere is looking for more stories and information to make the best decision.

The future status of MyMagic+ for Annual Passes is still "up in the air". Nobody is sure what that looks like. This new program will most likely be in full swing within the next 365 days. And Disney does have the right to change the "advantages" of an annual pass without notice. Like they did with the merchandise discounts and the PAP.

I sure don't want to argue over this. The OP was concerned about changes and didn't have enough information. That seems like enough reason to reconsider purchasing an AP. Outahere is looking for more stories and information to make the best decision.

I had no intention of starting any kind of argument over this. As bcrook noted, I was just looking for more info. My apologies to everyone.

We aren't renewing our AP's until we know about the new system and how it will work for us. If it doesn't work well for us personally, we won't be renewing so yes, some people WON'T renew. ;)

I had no intention of starting any kind of argument over this. As bcrook noted, I was just looking for more info. My apologies to everyone.

Don't apologize and just ignore rude people on the board :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 We are concerned too so I understand why people feel this way...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter