Reviews on Old Key West Resort

Carterfam

Mouseketeer
I would love to hear your thoughts, opinions, or link to reviews on Old Key West Resort. We have not set a definite date yet, but we were thinking around the end of September / beginning of October. There will be 6 of us, DH, myself who will be in her last trimester of her pregnancy, our twin boys who will be 16 months, and my mom, and DH sister.

Thank you in Advance.

We had a brief stay at OKW in November. Here is my review ~ http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2334661 :goodvibes It is a very beautiful resort. We enjoyed the nice pool, the friendly CM's, the spacious room, the beautiful grounds, and Olivia's Cafe for dinner. The only negative we experienced was our room location - very very far from the main area and right next to a main highway.

Since OKW is primarily a DVC property, most of the reviews would be from DVC members. And most everyone who's stayed there loves it-there are even some who are "OKW fanatics". DH, for instance, doesn't ever want to stay anywhere else. It's very lush with vegetation, restful, extremely friendly cast members. It truly is like staying in a very friendly little village community.

I'd love to hear more about OKW too. Are there lots of activities during the day to do like the deluxe resorts?

Loved it when we stayed in Oct/Nov for 2weeks in a 2br. villa. The villas are bigger than anyohter resort because they were the first built. Main Pool was fun for my two kids and the activities were great. Olivias restaraunt very good food. CS food place as well typical hotdogs/burgers/icecreams etc,.
great for when u are at the pool. Had some yummy drinks from Gurgling Suitcase. Boat to DTD is a nice ride. CM's very helpful with our dining and had a problem w/ tv in room and they promptly sent someone to fix it. Nothing bad to say about the place except it is huge, I requested when I checked in to be close to Main BLDG. and was accomadatted. Buses ran like everyother resort, hit or miss.

I would love to hear your thoughts, opinions, or link to reviews on Old Key West Resort. We have not set a definite date yet, but we were thinking around the end of September / beginning of October. There will be 6 of us, DH, myself who will be in her last trimester of her pregnancy, our twin boys who will be 16 months, and my mom, and DH sister.

Thank you in Advance.

www.allears.net has lots of reviews on all the WDW resorts. Just go to their "Rate & Review" section and look up the resort you're interested in. :)

We stayed there last Sept in a one-bedroom unit and we loved it. There are activities during the day. Some looked interesting but we were never around when they were running. The room was very spacious.

We were about as far away from the main building as you could get and didn't have a car, but it didn't matter. You can catch any bus to go to the main building as that is the last stop before the buses leave for their destinations. There was also an internal bus.

All of the CMs were very nice and helpful. The resort is spread out, but it is just so peaceful and relaxing. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

I've only stayed in a 2 bedroom villa. We had mixed feelings about it. It is definitely the most spacious of the DVC resorts. Great kitchen layout. The grounds are beautiful and provide a laid back feeling. However, the wear and tear is showing. It is in need of a refurb (which it is currently receiving). I think once it finished, it will be a much better place to stay. The other drawback is the size. It can take a few minutes to get out of the resort area!

*When I say wear and tear, I mean the couch cushions are flattened and dirty, the walls have marks on them, the faucet knob is broken and missing spokes, and the carpet is no where near fresh. At least, that was the case in our last stay in January 2010.

Did you know that OKW does not have elevators in most buildings? Only three buildings do. So you may want to request a first floor villa.

Did you know that OKW does not have elevators in most buildings? Only three buildings do. So you may want to request a first floor villa.

I was just going to post that too! Given your pregancy and your likely having a double stroller, I wouldn't want a third floor room in a non elevator building! So be sure and tell them you need a first floor room or an elevator building (but there are only four of them so first floor will be easier met).

We love OKW. Its very lush, tropical and laid back. I love their main pool, Olivia's is a favorite dining spot of ours and we just always feel like staying around the resort as much as possible!

Some of the rooms are showing some age, I do believe they are going to be refurbbing OKW starting with bldg. 11 in the near future.

I would suggest you study a map of OKW (if you go to www.allearsnet.com you can find one plus reviews and photos and other helpful infor) and find some buildings away from the main road. Most are very quiet but as Shelly said, some are very close to the main roads.

I hope you enjoy the resort as much as we do. If I was in my third trimester, the peace and quiet of that resort would be to my liking for sure!

I was just going to post that too! Given your pregancy and your likely having a double stroller, I wouldn't want a third floor room in a non elevator building! So be sure and tell them you need a first floor room or an elevator building (but there are only four of them so first floor will be easier met)....

Only three elevator buildings - Bldg 62, 63 or 64.

:surfweb: Thanks for the info re: elevator buildings. We like to stay on the top floor, and this will be perfect for my husband and his bad back. Great information!

We stayed at Old Key West 9/27 - 10/4 last year and we loved it! We were in building 64, on the second floor in a one bedroom unit. There were three of us in the room, and we all enjoyed it. It was really nice getting up in the morning, and having breakfast on the balcony. Here are some of the pictures:
DSCN0001.jpg
It was raining when we checked in!
DSCN0004.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

DSCN0011.jpg

DSCN0012.jpg
DSCN0238.jpg

DSCN0237.jpg

We would stay there again on a future trip!

I haven't stayed at OKW since 07 but I'll give you my take:

It is a very large resort. I would recommend a car if you are staying here. The buses seemed to take forever, as they had to go around the entire resort. We were on Turtle Rd? So that is a ways from the main areas. There was a pool nearby but trekking to food was a hike.

As already mentioned beware of the lack of elevators! We had to lug some very heavy suitcases up three flights and it was NOT fun! But other than these points the resort is beautiful, quiet and very nice. The rooms are spacious. Also, having a full kitchen can't be beat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter