• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reviews on Amazon, OMG!

Exactly! Although I've read some very good free short stories and books from Amazon.

Oh, me too! My friend self-publishes and I really enjoy her two novels. I NEVER thought to review them honestly, because we are friends and that felt wrong somehow, even though I really liked her work.

Oh, me too! My friend self-publishes and I really enjoy her two novels. I NEVER thought to review them honestly, because we are friends and that felt wrong somehow, even though I really liked her work.

I would never ask a friend to review my books, either, so all of the reviews I have on Amazon are from people I don't know. I want people to know what they're getting in my books, the good and the bad, because there is nothing more disappointing than starting a book expecting it to be one thing, and finding it's something else entirely.

It do have to hold my breath and punch a pillow, though, when a friend who asked her entire family to give her 5-star reviews brags incessantly about her sterling reviews. I suppose that yes, great reviews would make the book more attractive to the casual shopper. I keep reminding myself that once the casual shopper takes a chance on it, he's not going to be as kind as her family was.

In the category of oldie but goodie is the review of The Story about Ping, likely the most awesome Amazon book review ever.

Huh. I read this back in about 1999. (I was a Unix and AS400 geek at the time. It made the rounds of the groups.) I did not realize it was cribbed. From this guy. (Still on Amazon tho'.) Maybe it's the same guy?

I don't know how I missed this one! Too funny! And growing up, Ping was one of my favorite books. Thanks for sharing.

Well, if you notice, a good deal of self-published books have amazing all 5-star ratings. That's because these people get all their friends to rate the book. You'll notice that a lot of traditionally published books have fewer stars... is it because these books stink? No, it's because they're LEGITIMATE reviews from people who don't know the author.

I think that this "author" is just doing it to stand out among all those self-published, all-5 star books, because (as some said above) people WILL want to read it to see how bad it really is. The market is so glutted with crap, people are doing anything they can do to stand out. I beg of you, save your money and buy a REAL book... there is plenty of badly written crap on the internet that you can read for free!

Agree.

Best reviews ever: Mens Veet Hair Removal Creme on Amazon.co.uk. I'm not responsible if you spew beverage all over your computer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter