Review of the new Matterhorn seats

kailuagirl

DIS Veteran
I tried to like them, I really really did. I rode it about 6x last week and DH and I just got tossed round ll over the place. I can't tell you how many times I banged the back of my shoulder in the seat, it was so sore. I found there to be no back support at all and I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to hold on to those metal side handles, and the bar across in the back of the seat in front was so sticky gross. I found myself yelling ouch more than anything else. I don't know how a tall person can fit comfortably in those seats. We really didn't like them at all and we tried riding on both sides.

On positive note, the line moves really fast now and I like how there is only one line for both sides. DD5 did awesome in her seat alone, and as always loved the ride

I tried to like them, I really really did. I rode it about 6x last week and DH and I just got tossed round ll over the place. I can't tell you how many times I banged the back of my shoulder in the seat, it was so sore. I found there to be no back support at all and I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to hold on to those metal side handles, and the bar across in the back of the seat in front was so sticky gross. I found myself yelling ouch more than anything else. I don't know how a tall person can fit comfortably in those seats. We really didn't like them at all and we tried riding on both sides.

On positive note, the line moves really fast now and I like how there is only one line for both sides. DD5 did awesome in her seat alone, and as always loved the ride

I agree with all of this! :thumbsup2 I totally tried to like the new cars because this used to be one of my favorite rides - key phrase: USED TO BE.

I felt like I had been to a bad chiropractor after getting off of that ride. It just threw us around and there was no padding or cushioning to help fight against that. Its like they designed the new sleds to take care of Cal OSHA complaints and nothing to provide comfort. My BFF, her mom and I are all over 5' 10" and that was an adventure trying to get into and out of! the seats.

KailuaGirl, we also had no clue where to hold on. That bar is so sticky and then the metal handles are too far back. Its like they left the old handles on the sleds and didn't move them. :confused3

Like my BFF said after we got off, there were no shouts or yells of glee. There was just "ugh"s and "ow"s and groans. There were 3 other gentlemen (all adults) in the car behind us and they too were groaning at every turn. We all stumbled out of the loading area at the end of the ride, walking funny, hunched over, and holding our backs. :crazy2: Not the reaction I want to have after getting off a ride. Needless to say, Advil was our friend afterward.

I also agree. We left this ride for our last day/morning. I don't regret it because my son loved it but it was the first time during the trip that my neck was a bit sore. Plus I'm only 5'8-5'9 and I was so uncomfortable - I assume those taller would be even more uncomfortable. Being my first time, I thought it would be better than Big Thunder but for me, Big Thunder is way better and faster :) Unless my son would like to go on it during our next trip, I am going to skip it and spend the time on the other coasters.

You know -this makes me so sad. :sick: I mean really! Disney? How could they ruin an iconic ride so thoughtlessly? Complying with safety is one thing, but with all their resources and history of excellence, how could they have messed this up so terribly? I won't even bother trying it, and it was one of our favorite rides. :sad:

I am nervous about the new seats. I think my DS (5) would do much better if he could be in my or daddy's lap. Plus the reviews of the ride comfort have not been good...Hopefully my DS will go on this because he is so excited to, but I think when he sees the seating he might back out.

We rode it Saurday 10/13 and my question is, what seat? After I got out I looked down and basically there is not seat. You just seem to be sitting on the floor with zero padding. My butt was sore after getting off. The darn things need some padding as my tail bone felt every bump on the whole ride without the benifit of any cushioning.

I am nervous about the new seats. I think my DS (5) would do much better if he could be in my or daddy's lap. Plus the reviews of the ride comfort have not been good...Hopefully my DS will go on this because he is so excited to, but I think when he sees the seating he might back out.

I wouldn't worry too much about the kids. My DS's 10 and 5 LOVED it! I think their younger bodies take the roughness better than our "mature" bodies. I said something about hurting after the ride and they looked at me like I was crazy. Thank goodness my husband is a better sport than I am, or they would have only been on it once! Also, the seat belts seem more secure than some of the safety bars.

I read before we went that if you sit up straight the seats are better. So I sat up straight, but the seats are, well, slippery. I kept sliding forward, and had to push back with my legs the entire ride to stay sorta straight. I didn't really even notice the ride because I was concentration on how I was sitting.

The handholds were pointless. I was in the front, and the front bar is too far forward to hold on to. The metal handles were too far back to hold and serve any purpose except elbowing the knees of the person behind me.

The seats were not incredibly uncomfortable, but they highlight all of the negatives of the ride (like how bumpy it is.) They take away from what was once a fun ride. I hope Disney changes them. Even minor modifications (like a little padding) would help.

I wouldn't worry too much about the kids. My DS's 10 and 5 LOVED it! I think their younger bodies take the roughness better than our "mature" bodies. I said something about hurting after the ride and they looked at me like I was crazy. Thank goodness my husband is a better sport than I am, or they would have only been on it once! Also, the seat belts seem more secure than some of the safety bars.

Thanks! We have the Disneyland game for the Kinect and after throwing snowballs at the Yeti on the game my DS really wants to ride it LOL. Yetis aren't quite as scary once you've seen them pelted in the face with a snowball :lmao:

It's such a shame that this ride was closed for refurb for so long, and it's now not as good. We were so sad summer before last when it was closed, because it was our first visit in 20 years, and it is my cousin's favorite ride. Now I don't know if I'm brave enough to give it a try, it sounds miserable!

Midnightred

We rode it Saurday 10/13 and my question is, what seat? After I got out I looked down and basically there is not seat. You just seem to be sitting on the floor with zero padding. My butt was sore after getting off. The darn things need some padding as my tail bone felt every bump on the whole ride without the benifit of any cushioning.

I'm not sure that has changed from the old seats.

A CM at Matterhorn told me that the point of the ride is that you're on a sled/sledge as though you are careening down the actual Matterhorn, and you are supposed to feel the bumps and dips just like if you were really doing it. I say ouch! :) Such a thing as taking theming a bit too far. :)

I'm still so bummed they're not double occupancy. I know DD4 would go on it if it were. I doubt she will now. She's mostly just scared of the yeti, even though we play games and joke about him all the time!

My DS5 was scared of the Yeti too. I told him it's the Abominable guy from Monster's Inc., and that guy was just silly. That helped him get over his fear.

I posted this in a thread a few weeks ago, but in July, we had a really unenjoyable experience with the new seats, went from one of our favorites to not a bother.

That being said, we are going again in December, with our whole family and will try again, maybe it was us :( :rolleyes2

gokdog said:
I posted this in a thread a few weeks ago, but in July, we had a really unenjoyable experience with the new seats, went from one of our favorites to not a bother.

That being said, we are going again in December, with our whole family and will try again, maybe it was us :( :rolleyes2

We have been here all week and DH who is 6'1" rode the Matterhorn once and said never again. He loved it 3 years ago with the old sleds. Kids and I went on it again but he said it was just too uncomfortable.

We only had to try the new seats once and that was enough for all of us on our trip. The seats had absolutely no cushioning, it was like sitting on concrete. I won't be going on the Matterhorn again until the seats are improved.

We don't ride it anymore. It is too painful and uncomfortable. We used to ride it every trip. :(

Wow, I am anxious to try the new bobsleds, but the overwhelming reviews are negative.

I <3ed the Matterhorn when we went last year. :-(

I have heavy legs and got in row 2. I'm only 5'2" but I had a hard time pulling my right leg over and thought I pulled knee out. Very uncomfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter