• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Review of O'Hana's- Dinner

MagicalTravelKC

Formerly known as "LoveMyLAP-BAND"
I know there are lots out there that love dinner at O'Hana's. Unfortunately, we weren't one of them.

The food. The main part of the meal is meat brought out on skeweres. The meat was not that good. The salad would have been good- if you liked the dressing that came with it. The vegetables had no taste. The shrimp was rubbery. The potatoes, however, were the absolute best that I have ever had in the world. I ate so many I thought I would look like one. That makes it some very expensive potatoes though.

But, I usually choose my Disney restaurants based on the atmosphere and entertainment with the food really being secondary. But the entertainment sucked! They had coconut races where the kids would roll a coconut around the room with a broomstick. Well, they didn't have enough broomsticks and many of the kids were upset. Then there was the limbo. That was a disaster. They two lines of kids going under the stick at the same time in opposite directions. They kept bumping into each other. The kids ending up sitting out the rest of the time because it was so unorganized.

The service was okay except we went over to the window to watch WISHES and the waiter delivered our dessert, which included ice cream. By the time we got back to our seats, the ice cream was mostly melted.

Overall rating:
Food: C
Service: B-
Atmosphere: B-
Entertainment: C-

I know there are lots out there that love dinner at O'Hana's. Unfortunately, we weren't one of them.

The food. The main part of the meal is meat brought out on skeweres. The meat was not that good. The salad would have been good- if you liked the dressing that came with it. The vegetables had no taste. The shrimp was rubbery. The potatoes, however, were the absolute best that I have ever had in the world. I ate so many I thought I would look like one. That makes it some very expensive potatoes though.

But, I usually choose my Disney restaurants based on the atmosphere and entertainment with the food really being secondary. But the entertainment sucked! They had coconut races where the kids would roll a coconut around the room with a broomstick. Well, they didn't have enough broomsticks and many of the kids were upset. Then there was the limbo. That was a disaster. They two lines of kids going under the stick at the same time in opposite directions. They kept bumping into each other. The kids ending up sitting out the rest of the time because it was so unorganized.

The service was okay except we went over to the window to watch WISHES and the waiter delivered our dessert, which included ice cream. By the time we got back to our seats, the ice cream was mostly melted.

Overall rating:
Food: C
Service: B-
Atmosphere: B-
Entertainment: C-

We make it a point to go at least once during a trip. It is our favorite. It sounds like you just went on an off night. our DD is always having a great time, and it is always well done. There has been a time when they were short on broom sticks. Those kids who did not have one were involved with the host helping pump everyone up. We have always enjoyed it. Sorry you did not like it. Since you go for atmosphere, you should of really enjoyed the view and festivities going on.

I definately give it an A+++++++ for all of our 15 or so visits. Never been one bad meal, but there of course are off nights.

Thanks for your review. We have had good experiences here with small kids in tow. This year our oldest at 12 YOA seemed to like it much less. I am not sure if we will want to go back.

What a shame you had such a poor experience. I have to say it's never really appealed to us but loads of people seem to love it.

Thanks for sharing your Ohana experience. It is not part of our dining plans for similar reasons.

The first time we went to O'Hana's we thought it was wonderful. The second time, when the novelty of the setting was not so new, we realised that the food was not all that great.

If it's atmosphere that's important to you, try it out, but there's much better menus around WDW.

Yeah, serving that type of food at an Irish pub seems odd to me...:eek:

Don't even try...It's a futile effort!:lmao:

'Ohana was once terrific, now its a poor imitation of itself. The fact that these absolutely non-Polynesian potatoes are the biggest hit at this place in review after review should speak volumes.

Some still love it, fine by me even if I don't understand it.
pirate:

We were there this past Tuesday night around 9pm for dinner, DH was not thrilled with a late dinner but my dd wanted to try it so we kept the reservation (A great thing turns out) They sat us about 10 after 9 brought us all the way to the back of the restaurant and next to the window. The castle view was beautiful all ablaze with the new lights. About 20 minutes in Jiminy cricket lets us know we are going to see wishes with the music piped in. WOW what an unexpected surprise to say the least we sat mesmerized watching the fireworks in awe. If we would have requested that table we probably would have not gotten it, but sure glad we did..... We enjoyed the food very much, the honey lime dressing was to die for already found the recipe on line.. But the best part had to be the bread pudding with that yummy caramel sauce. There were 5 of us and yes we got a second bowl and yes we had to be rolled out. Our best dinner of the vacation by far!!!!!

Ohana was our worst dining experience by far. The excuse of having an "off night" is wearing pretty thin. Those of us who didn't care for the entertainment, most of the food, and had less than stellar service didn't all dine there on the same day. It's either an epidemic of off nights or it really isn't as good as some people think it is. Granted, everyone has different tastes and expectations, but Ohana has to be the most overrated restaurant at Disney.

We ate there on 11/20 and absolutely loved it!!!! Great food and service. I actually wrote a review on it under Thanksgiving Dining reviews. That's why I am glad that there are so many restaurants to choose from so we have a choice. I know a lot of people love Boma and we thought it was the worst restaurant we have ever eaten at. Just goes to show you that we are all different!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter