• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Review of New Year's Dream cruise - spa, New Years activities, etc.

4DisneyAddicts

Mouseketeer
Returned a couple of days ago and thought I'd post a brief review(turns out it isn't so brief after all!), as I had a hard time finding info on the New Years cruises.

Holiday related
- For New Years there were fireworks so we had 2 fireworks nights
- They had a complimentary champagne and sparkling cider toast on the top decks with a DJ dance party and the traditional countdown. They were in cute, plastic souvenir champagne glasses that had a logo and said New Years cruise 2019. Hot hor d'oeuvres were also passed. Shutters photographers were there taking photos.
- I was happy that Christmas decorations were still up, they were being removed as we disembarked. Giant gingerbread house was nice, but I think would have been great as a cruise ship or more creative theming.

Spa related
- First cruise were I really enjoyed Senses spa. Most services were very nice and technicians were friendly and professional.
- There was definitely heavy push on selling products at the end of services. But they weren't pushy if i declined. Products were very expensive.
- I tried the couples villa (hot tub time, two massages (i per person), foot ritual, tea, fruit skewers, choc. covered strawberries with about 20 minutes of free time on private verandah to enjoy hot tub and loungers. It was relaxing and I enjoyed it, but the price (almost $600 with tips) was way more than I would pay and I wouldn't do it again. But I am glad I at least tried it.
- I also did the Rainforest Room. I purchased the couples pass for duration of cruise and shared with my friend, so it was only about $80 for the 4 days for me. I used it ever day. Only issue was that several times people in the heated longer area were not quiet. I think a few signs reminding people to be quiet would have been an easy fix. For a future 4 day I would probably do a one day, because I almost felt obligated to go use it to get my money's worth. But that's just me trying to get the value for my money.
- With regards to the Rainforest Room, the spa staff was pushing the sales, stating that "only 30 passes would be sold". Another spa cast member stated 35. I didn't really question it, but it had to mean 30-35 couples passes. And I would also assume they sell additional single day passes, because I definitely saw quite a few different people in there. That being said, for a full cruise, it was never full. It was busy at peak times.
- My friends and I all took advantage of the red Carpet Blow Out "special" . It was a treat to have my hair done the last night for dinner and then it was good for the early disembarkation. The scalp massage was a little disappointing, but I was very happy with my hair style.
- My friend did the quick keratin. Her hair grew in super curly after chemo and it was difficult for her to manage with the curls, wind, and humidity. She looked amazing afterwards and was very happy with the results.

GENERAL
- Cast members were friendly, but i felt not as friendly as in past 4 cruises I did. I noticed it was usually with members form countries I didn't recognize on past cruises, so I winder if it was just a cultural thing. ??
- Food in restaurants was a little disappointing. From past cruises I knew portions were small, so I did order two apps or entrees on occasion, and that worked out well. Specifically the "lobster and shrimp" appetizer that was literally 3 shrimp and a sliver of lobster. I don't like to waste food, but with two servings, I was still able to eat everything (and I am a small female who doesn't eat a lot). The taste and presentation were okay. Many of our entrees were lukewarm. Our servers were nice, but we felt they were all business. We missed the "Disney magic" we experienced on most other cruises. Our asst server (drink server) hardly spoke, seemed confused a lot, and was very slow. We were patient, but noticed a difference from past experiences.
- We had 2 Castaway Cay days (I always wanted to do this!) and we had perfect weather. The water was unexpectedly pleasant. I always think the water is cold there, but it was great this trip.
- My teen and I did the parasailing trip. At $110 per person I was disappointed we only received about 8 minutes in the air, but I always wanted to do it and Castaway Cay is a great place to experience it, for me. My teen said it was the highlight of the trip, so it was worth in in that regard. The first mate did take lots of photos and video on my phone, at my request. I tipped he and the captain a little extra for that.
- Serenity Bay was awesome. So quiet, practically empty. We did spend the second day at the family beach since 3 of the kids on our travel group were under 18 and it was a little bit of a hassle to meet with them to give them items they "needed".
- I'd like a little change (upgrade) on the food on CC. Crab cakes and shrimp would be nice.
- The ship app was wonderful for keeping track of events and character meetings. The texting was awesome. Make sure you set up everyone's account and share your codes right away. We created a group text and it was helpful for communication. Wifi was pretty good, but on Castaway Cay it was unreliable, so keep that in mind and make plans for meeting times in case the texts aren't gong through.
- For the app, you can also set up a request to meet with the travel guide to talk about future cruises. It saved A LOT of time waiting in the line. It put you in a queue that updated regularly.
- The ship was very clean and I was pleasantly surprised at how it didn't really feel much more crowded that past cruises, which were likely not as full.
- Shops had nice merchandise. Large liquor store is gone and replaced by high end clothing brands. I got the larger DCL Dooney & Bourke and I LOVE it.
-Beauty and the Beast show was wonderful.
- My candy-loving 12 year old loved Penelopes. He ordered the huge ice cream sundae in the souvenir trophy cup and it was delivered as his dessert at dinner. Prices were reasonable (when compared to Disney prices) but i guess when you are paying extra for something on an expensive cruise, that should be expected.
- This was the first cruise where we had kids between 18-20. They had a great time and enjoyed the 18-20 Society group for age appropriate activities and gatherings.

All in all a great cruise. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks so much. We leave in less than 2 weeks.
I have 2 questions. For the rainforest room was the price including the Scrubs. We would not use them and I’m thinking maybe I would just buy 3 passes because embarkation day I doubt we would use them.
The Venelpes Sundae sounds cool for my almost 10 year old. He turns 10 the day after we depart the ship and think that might be fun fir his birthday. Do you remember the price and how far in advance you needed to order it. He would love a trophy for dessert.
Thanks again for sharing your review

Thanks for the info! We have done two Christmas cruises and will be on the 2019 New Year's cruise. I love the fireworks night so hope we also get two!
Happy New Year!

Thank-you so much for sharing! I know this was just a little part of your review but I really appreciate that you included the info about having children 18-20. My twins will be 18 when we cruise and even just yesterday I had people trying to convince me that they will be completely bored. It made me a little nervous but in the back of my mind I kept telling myself that it is just a handful of nights and hopefully the 1820 group will be popular when we cruise (we haven't booked yet, going in 2020 but no dates released yet).

Thanks for sharing.

Did you notice if Castaway Cay was more, less, or about the same level of people on shore the second day as compared to the first.
Do you know if they did the 5k each day ?

I agree that a lot of the food serving temperature can be hit or miss.

The scrubs were part of the length of stay package. You received one per day. It was really just a small plastic bag with some scrub in it. I enjoyed them myself. They may be part of a day pass as well, I didn’t ask.

The trophy sundae I believe was $11.95. I’m sure you could order it up to your dinner time, as they deliver them right at your dessert time. The kids can customize the ice cream and toppings that go with it.

QUOTE="cheapster316, post: 60111671, member: 517843"]Thanks so much. We leave in less than 2 weeks.
I have 2 questions. For the rainforest room was the price including the Scrubs. We would not use them and I’m thinking maybe I would just buy 3 passes because embarkation day I doubt we would use them.
The Venelpes Sundae sounds cool for my almost 10 year old. He turns 10 the day after we depart the ship and think that might be fun fir his birthday. Do you remember the price and how far in advance you needed to order it. He would love a trophy for dessert.
Thanks again for sharing your review[/QUOTE]

All of our 18-20s seemed happy. According to my 20 year old there were older people as well (22), but I guess this is allowed since they are adults.

Thank-you so much for sharing! I know this was just a little part of your review but I really appreciate that you included the info about having children 18-20. My twins will be 18 when we cruise and even just yesterday I had people trying to convince me that they will be completely bored. It made me a little nervous but in the back of my mind I kept telling myself that it is just a handful of nights and hopefully the 1820 group will be popular when we cruise (we haven't booked yet, going in 2020 but no dates released yet).

Thanks for sharing.

Did you notice if Castaway Cay was more, less, or about the same level of people on shore the second day as compared to the first.
Do you know if they did the 5k each day ?

The 5K was on the first day. It’s hard to say for sure which day was more crowded on Castaway Cay because I was on Serenity Bay (adult beach) and parasailing most of the first day. My 12-year-old felt that it was busier on the first day. Although the second day all of the water activities were canceled due to choppier waves. That may have influenced crowds. I thought that it was a little more crowded on the second day but that just could be because I was on the family beach the second day.

Thanks for sharing. I've only done one double dip and the 5k was also only on the first day. The weather was similar for both days for us, and the beaches were nearly empty the second time. I though it was somewhat odd, so I was just seeing if it was a trend or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter