• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reusable mugs in the parks for ice water?

ChrisParker

DIS Veteran
How practical would it be to hook my reusable mug to my crossbody bag and use it for ice water in the parks? Or should I just carry a water bottle?

I like the idea of having the mug on me on my way back into the resort so I can fill it up on the way to the room but I'm not sure if I can fill the mug up easily with the ice water at the QS.

Thanks in advance!

There are only a couple of quick service where the soda fountain is self serve. On most you would have to ask a cm for free ice water, they will most likely give you a cup so you can pour it into your mug, they shouldn't, for safety reasons, accept your mug and refill it directly.

How practical would it be to hook my reusable mug to my crossbody bag and use it for ice water in the parks? Or should I just carry a water bottle?

I like the idea of having the mug on me on my way back into the resort so I can fill it up on the way to the room but I'm not sure if I can fill the mug up easily with the ice water at the QS.

Thanks in advance!
Disney doesn’t want your mugs at the water dispensers. You can use a new, clean cup to fill your mug.

Im really not understanding how paper straws are torture
They leave a nasty taste in your drink, even after being removed. This next trip if I get a drink with a paper straw already in it, I am going to ask for a new one with no straw in it. Seriously it makes the drink taste that nasty.

Add to that all of the trees that get cut down for these paper straws, the excess water that is consumed in the process of making them and that they can't really be recycled due to germs that can't be removed and paper straws are really bad for the environment, especially when there are compostable alternatives that feel and taste more like a plastic straw, uses fewer resources, are made from plants, more specifically food waste like corn husks, etc. that would normally just get thrown away and then they can be composted and even if they end up in a landfill, they add nutrients to the soil.

Last edited:
Refilling a used cup is a health issue and the cups can be recycled.
So why can you refill the cup at the resorts? Why does Universal and other theme parks have refillable cups of some shape or form? How do zoos handle this with their reusable cups? How do fast food restaurants offer refills? How do sit down restaurants do refills in the same glass as you are drinking out of when they don't bring a pitcher to your table?

Sorry, but not buying into the health concerns when so many places do refills without these alleged health concerns.

As to what we do, we keep the resort mugs with us and simply dump our drink into them, at places that offer free refills, we ask for an extra and out it in the mug to take with us. I have told our server we we're going to do so and they offered to take it in the back, wash it out and refill it for us.

Sorry, but not buying into the health concerns when so many places do refills without these alleged health concerns.
These places that do this have self serve stations. It is a health concern for employees to take a cup back in a kitchen like setting to refill. Now if Disney had self serve stations for mugs it wouldn't be much of an issue.

These places that do this have self serve stations. It is a health concern for employees to take a cup back in a kitchen like setting to refill. Now if Disney had self serve stations for mugs it wouldn't be much of an issue.
Nope, San Diego zoo does not have self serve stations. Sea World has some, but many locations require their employees to handle the cups. These are setup like Disney's drink stations are setup, so I still maintain this argument is invalid.

Also, Knott's Berry Farm also does drink refills and takes the cups in the back (if you get the refillable sipper). Many fast food restaurants don't have self service stations, sit down restaurants don't either, I listed many in my previous post that didn't have self serve stations.

So, still not seeing this as a health concern when so many places that don't have self serve stations already do the refills, it sounds like a made up excuse to me in order to keep selling drinks at higher prices.

Last edited:
Nope, San Diego zoo does not have self serve stations. Sea World has some, but many locations require their employees to handle the cups. These are setup like Disney's drink stations are setup, so I still maintain this argument is invalid.

Also, Knott's Berry Farm also does drink refills and takes the cups in the back (if you get the refillable sipper).

So, still not seeing this as a health concern.
Each company is different. I wouldn't say the argument is completely invalid either.

I personally think its a bit unsanitary to be passing the cups around and would much prefer self serve stations.

Each company is different. I wouldn't say the argument is completely invalid either.

I personally think its a bit unsanitary to be passing the cups around and would much prefer self serve stations.
Not at all, you remove the lid before handing it over, so really how is it unsanitary? Not seeing it at all. It just doesn't make any logical sense.

Not at all, you remove the lid before handing it over, so really how is it unsanitary? Not seeing it at all. It just doesn't make any logical sense.
To each their own.

I really don't care as I don't drink soda. I don't see a major need for the mugs to expand into the parks. If they did they would probably go up even more in cost.

To each their own.

I really don't care as I don't drink soda. I don't see a major need for the mugs to expand into the parks. If they did they would probably go up even more in cost.
No one in this thread suggested they should expand to the parks, only asked about using them for water in the parks and as I mentioned, there are other ways to make bringing them into the parks worthwhile that are fully within the rules as presently established.

No one in this thread suggested they should expand to the parks, only asked about using them for water in the parks and as I mentioned, there are other ways to make bringing them into the parks worthwhile that are fully within the rules as presently established.
And in that case I’d rather just get a cup with ice water than carry around a mug all day. Everyone is different though and that’s fine.

And in that case I’d rather just get a cup with ice water than carry around a mug all day. Everyone is different though and that’s fine.
I like having the mug, as it keeps the water cold longer and can take whatever I haven't finished on most rides with me since it is a reusable mug rather than trying to finish it off quickly or throwing it out.

The cup is recyclable.
Only about 9% of plastic is actually recycled. Just because you throw something into the recycle bin does not mean that it is getting recycled. A lot still ends up in land fills (and China and other countries no longer want our trash, so it's ending up here in the US now) , in the ocean or being incinerated.

Only about 9% of plastic is actually recycled. Just because you throw something into the recycle bin does not mean that it is getting recycled. A lot still ends up in land fills (and China and other countries no longer want our trash, so it's ending up here in the US now) , in the ocean or being incinerated.
Except they were talking about the disposable paper cups, but even less if that is recycled because of the difficulty of recycling them due to the wax and plastic inside that make them able to hold liquids.

The reusable mugs can be kept and used at home at least.

Except they were talking about the disposable paper cups, but even less if that is recycled because of the difficulty of recycling them due to the wax and plastic inside that make them able to hold liquids.

The reusable mugs can be kept and used at home at least.

Sorry, I was thinking the disposable cups were plastic (it's been a few years) .

For the OP, I like to bring a stainless steel bottle in the parks with me. Mine has a carabiner so I can clip it to my bag. That doesn't help with a drink refill at the resort though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter