Returning an item that was bought with kohls cash

They don't keep $10 off of the customer. If you have already spent a coupon, there is no way to deactivate it. It is already gone. In effect the customer has spent $10 they are not entitled to once they make the return. They borrowed the $10, and now Kohls wants it back. The customer never loses money out of pocket. They only take back the Kohls Cash money the customer now has no right to.

Kohls gets their "$10" back along with their merchandise. Anyway you slice that, Kohls makes money on all those transactions, while the customer keeps nothing from them, and has $10 less in their pocket. It may be their coupon policy but they end up $10 actual cash richer because of it.

ETA, I get their policy, I get why its in place. It still doesn't make it fair to the customer when at the end of the day Kohls has $10 in cash because you the customer used an earned discount but decided you didn't want to keep your purchases that you used that discount on.

ETA again-- this applies to when you make a return on the original purchase that you earn KC on and the one you used the KC on. Returning, null and voids those transactions therefore the customer should get back the exact amount of cash they spent, since it is like neither of those transactions happened in the first place. (I hope that explains where I'm coming from).

Kohls gets their "$10" back along with their merchandise. Anyway you slice that, Kohls makes money on all those transactions, while the customer keeps nothing from them, and has $10 less in their pocket. It may be their coupon policy but they end up $10 actual cash richer because of it.

Nope. The company doesn't keep $10 of the customer's money. They only get the $10 back if the customer has already purchased other merchandise with the $10 of Kohls Cash that they had. Kohls Cash that by making the return they are no longer entitled to.

Spend $50 get an additional $10 in Kohls Cash.
Spend the $10.
Return item. Meaning you are no longer entitled to the $10. Which you have already spent.
Get $40 back in the return, but get to keep $10 in merchandise. Equals the $50. Kohls isn't making money, they are breaking even.

Why should the customer get to keep a discount they are no longer entitled to, by doing a return? As I pointed out, that is a great way to scam the system. You could make a lot of money in in-store credit by doing just that. You get the Kohls Cash by purchasing a certain amount of stuff. If you return enough stuff that you wouldn't have gotten the Kohls Cash, you are no longer entitled to it.

Also, if you do an even exchange they will let you keep the Kohls Cash. Decide you no longer want that $50 mixer, trade it for a $50 dress. Then it won't matter if you have or haven't spent your Kohls Cash.

Why should the customer get to keep a discount they are no longer entitled to, by doing a return? As I pointed out, that is a great way to scam the system. You could make a lot of money in in-store credit by doing just that. You get the Kohls Cash by purchasing a certain amount of stuff. If you return enough stuff that you wouldn't have gotten the Kohls Cash, you are no longer entitled to it.

If the customer doesn't keep the merchandise (i.e returns it) just what are they getting a discount on?

Like I said I get why they do it, but in their effort to not get scammed they created a system that essentially scams the customer.

Here is my example again.
Customer buys a $50 shirt, pays $50 and earns a $10 discount on next purchase.
Next purchase customer buys a $20 shirt, pays $10 due to discount. Cash spent is $60 + a $10 coupon with no real cash value (doesn't it state that on there somewhere?).
Customer decides to return both shirts, making the earned discount null and void, but Kohls only gives them back $50 cash. Kohls has their merchandise back (full $70 value of it) plus $10 of what the customer spent OOP. The customer leaves with nothing, and somehow ended up paying Kohls $10 fora discount coupon that they ended up not using due to the fact that they returned the merchandise.

Yes, there are ways a customer can make sure that doesn't happen, like do an exchange but if they want to return only, they end up being screwed.

In the above scenario they would get back$60, wouldn't they?

I think it would be $50.

First return: $40 back (since they didn't earn the $10 in Kohl's cash anymore, Kohls would deduct it from their $50 payment).

Second return: $10 back since $10 was "just" a coupon.

I think it would be $50.

First return: $40 back (since they didn't earn the $10 in Kohl's cash anymore, Kohls would deduct it from their $50 payment).

Second return: $10 back since $10 was "just" a coupon.

The customer is never out any of their own money. Depending on if they use the Kohls Cash before the return is made, and then if they return the item they purchased with the Kohls Cash, the register will offer a couple of different choices to the customer. At any rate, the customer is never ever out any of their own money. They either keep the Kohls Cash and lose the value of it from the return, or they return everything and get everything they have paid out of pocket back. They are never, under any circumstance, out their own money.

I have a roommate that works at Kohls. She said this is the most misunderstood and apparently confusing thing to customers. However, they never lose any of their own money. You either lose the Kohls Cash or keep it and then lose that amount off of your return. So you would either have $50 and no Kohls Cash, or $40 and Kohls Cash (or the merchandise you purchased with your Kohls Cash).

Hmm. I just gave my DD $60 in Kohls cash to buy a gift for her boyfriend's parents. She bought a dutch oven pot. It was $59.99 and she had a $60 Kohls cash. So she spent nothing OOP. (They kept the .01 :rolleyes:)

I wonder what would happen if they tried to bring this back. I'm not giving them a receipt, so they will be returning without a receipt. I'm hoping they would be able to get the lowest sale price from the season. I believe it was $39.99 on Black Friday.

And to the previous poster who said that if you bought a pack of toilet paper for $5 and used a $1 coupon ($4 OOP), and you returned it you would get $4 back is not correct. You would get the full $5 back. Because the store now has the coupon and will turn it in to the coupon clearinghouse for $1 plus bonus. So they are required by law to give you the full amount of your purchase back.

Maggie

Hmm. I just gave my DD $60 in Kohls cash to buy a gift for her boyfriend's parents. She bought a dutch oven pot. It was $59.99 and she had a $60 Kohls cash. So she spent nothing OOP. (They kept the .01 :rolleyes:)

Maggie

They shouldn't have kept even the penny. The register would prompt to insert the Kohls Cash, and it would be worth the penny. Maybe they offered to give it back to your daughter and she didn't understand why? Many people refuse to take it, which is understandable. You would think the penny could be real change.:rolleyes:

If someone does a return without a receipt they will get the lowest average price back, but only as in store credit.

They shouldn't have kept even the penny. The register would prompt to insert the Kohls Cash, and it would be worth the penny. Maybe they offered to give it back to your daughter and she didn't understand why? Many people refuse to take it, which is understandable. You would think the penny could be real change.:rolleyes:

If someone does a return without a receipt they will get the lowest average price back, but only as in store credit.

Nope. I was standing right there and no offer to give back the penny. I didn't feel it was worth my time to ask for the penny.

Maggie

Nope. I was standing right there and no offer to give back the penny. I didn't feel it was worth my time to ask for the penny.

Maggie

That was not right. It may be only a penny, but it was your penny. Actually, it was your penny of Kohls Cash. It should have been given back to you. The register instructs them to do so. Grrr. It is stuff like that that makes people think stores are out to cheat them. Most are not. Takes too much time and effort.

I went yesterday and wanted to return something, and nope..no more store credit since I had earned kohls cash with it. Which if you are going to lets say deduct $5 off my return, then I feel I should get acoupon back for $5 to use that day..I did earn kohls cash by buying what ever the promo was..does that make sense?

This thread is making my head hurt! :headache:

Two things I've taken away from this ~ don't use Kohl's Cash to buy anything and/or don't shop at Kohl's at all.

I use my KC to buy things I know I'll use - the other day I spend $75 in KC on socks, underwear and K-cups. Much easier that way!

Most stores give you 'store cash' but it's always in the form of a coupon ($10 off $30 or whatever) Kohls is the only one I'm aware of that gives cash and it's actually like money (if there are other stores, please let me know!) For that, I love Kohls.

This thread is making my head hurt! :headache:

Two things I've taken away from this ~ don't use Kohl's Cash to buy anything and/or don't shop at Kohl's at all.

Or only use your Kohls Cash once you are sure you are keeping all the stuff you purchased. Which I know isn't possible all of the time. Stuff does break.

Momtojandj--I'm not sure what you are meaning. They refused to do a return for you? They wanted to give you a return less the Kohls Cash amount? Kohls used to let you keep the Kohls Cash amount if you took the return as an in store credit. They don't anymore. But you should still be able to return items, even if they were purchased with Kohls Cash.

I went yesterday and wanted to return something, and nope..no more store credit since I had earned kohls cash with it. Which if you are going to lets say deduct $5 off my return, then I feel I should get acoupon back for $5 to use that day..I did earn kohls cash by buying what ever the promo was..does that make sense?

But when you return the item, you no longer qualified for the deal or promo. So, if you have to spend $50 to get $10 in Kohl's cash, then any return that would put you under that original $50 means the deal is void and you are not entitled to the $10 in Kohl's cash. The way they do this is by reducing the return amount.

Maggie

This happened to me the very first time I redeemed Kohl's Cash. I only spent about $7 thinking they'd give me $3 on a store credit or somehow mark the "Cash" that it still had $3 remaining. They don't. You give up the entire coupon once you redeem it even if it's not the full amount. Now that has been a few years ago and maybe they have changed their policy but from your experience, it doesn't sound like it.

This happened to me the very first time I redeemed Kohl's Cash. I only spent about $7 thinking they'd give me $3 on a store credit or somehow mark the "Cash" that it still had $3 remaining. They don't. You give up the entire coupon once you redeem it even if it's not the full amount. Now that has been a few years ago and maybe they have changed their policy but from your experience, it doesn't sound like it.

If you do not use all of the value of your Kohls cash, it will be put through the printer and the remaining balance will be printed. Even if it is .01. The system will not allow the sale to be completed until the balance is printed. There is no way that the store can keep any remaining Kohls cash balance - the cashier wouldn't be able to ring the next customer out.

Just went and grabbed the Kohls Cash from my purse. The first line is "Kohls Cash is not legal tender. No cash back." But I can't see where it says if you have to use it all at once or not. I didn't think you had to.

Also in bold print it states "If merchandise purchased earning a Kohls Cash Coupon is subsequently returned or price adjusted, the value of the Kohls Cash Coupon previously earned and/or the amount of the merchandise refund will be reduced to reflect any unearned value." Yes, that was all one sentence!!!

I really think it would simpler if they called it a Kohls Coupon. I guess Cash sounds better. But Coupon seems clearer to me.

If you do not use all of the value of your Kohls cash, it will be put through the printer and the remaining balance will be printed. Even if it is .01. The system will not allow the sale to be completed until the balance is printed. There is no way that the store can keep any remaining Kohls cash balance - the cashier wouldn't be able to ring the next customer out.

Well, I guess policy has changed or my cashier didn't know to do that because this absolutely, 100% happened a few years ago. Since then, I've never once spent less than the amount of the Kohl's Cash so I don't lose any ;)

This sounds a bit clearer, about returns from the Kohls web-site:

When you return merchandise from a purchase that earned Kohls Cash, you will get a refund in the form of your original payment, and it will decrease the value of your Kohls Cash.

If you have already used your Kohls Cash Coupon, you will get a refund in the form of your original payment, and the amount of your Kohls Cash will be deducted from your return amount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter