• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Returning after 23 years

indy4192

Earning My Ears
Info: People going 2 adults no kids, staying at Pop Century with a 4 day DYW pass and 1 day at Sea World.

Well flew out of Indy on Sunday the 1st and made it into Orlando in 1.5 hours on Air Tran. First time flying them and it went very well. Picked up rental car and headed to Pop Century. Got to hotel around 3:30pm and was checked in and in room by 4pm.

The hotel was very nice, we were on the 3rd floor of the 90's wing facing the pool and never had a problem with anything. The room was always clean, quiet and ideal. The meals at the food court were what we expected and served our morning breakfast need. Since we had a rental car we never used the bus system, but it seemed to run very smoothly.

On our first night we dined over at downtown disney at Earl of Sandwhich since all the other resturants were full with waiting lines and we were heading over to WDW since it had extra hours that night. Got over to WDW around 7:45pm and was able to park right up front and walked right in, hoped on the monorail and was at the park by 8pm. We made our away around the mob waiting/watching the parade and hit 4 rides that night. Pirates, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion and People Mover. None of the 4 had very long lines and all were great. Caught the firework show and checked out Disney at night.

Day 2: After breakfast at Pop, drove over and took in Sea world. Only bad side, Shamu out of commision, recovering from giving birth. But the other shows were great. The dolphin show is really something, and more then just a few dolphin tricks. The Dog/Cat show was really neat and enjoyable, especially if you are a dog/cat owner. The seal lion show had a few missteps, but just made it funnier and enjoyable. Got brave and rode the water flume ride and well.....it's not a kiddy ride. Overall, I really liked Sea World and again not very crowded. After Sea World, headed for International drive for some seafood at Boston Seafood. WOW, if you can't get enough seafood there at their buffet, you need to get help. One of teh best seafood meals ever.

Day 3: Returned and did WDW again. Still lines very short, longest wait was probably 10-15 minutes for Splash Mountain. Which was fun, but whimpy compared to Sea Worlds flume ride. Did President's, Country Bear, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Ride, Carosel and people mover alone with Buzz Lightyear. Buzz kinda neat, but the old Eastern ride that was in that location was BETTER. Maybe because I am older now, but WDW seemed "smaller" to me. The kid rides were packed, but the rides we hit went quick. For dinner went over to Celebration florida which is just outside Disney and very nice and enjoyable for the adult crowd.

Day 4: Checked out Animal Kingdom Lodge, if I was rich, I would have stayed there. WOW, what a resort. Headed to Epcot and got there around 1pm (they had late night hours) and rode Soarin, which was really neat. Also did Test Track, which was okay till you did the speed test and WOW what an experience. Rode the land ride and the ride in the big globe, plus the rides at Mexico and Norway. Longest wait for the day was probably 30-35 minutes for Soarin, which in part is due to the type of ride it is. Fireworks show at Epcot was great, and the food/wine event was really interesting and tasty. However, you know you have stayed late when there is about only 10 cars in the parking lot and 1 is yours.

Day 5: Got to AK right when it opened and did the safari ride twice. Both times were great and you got different sightings both times. Agian the wait time was maybe 10-15 minutes. Checked out the 3D bug show and while I can see why small kids can get scared, it was a riot of a show. Did the Dinosour ride, which was okay, but kinda to bumpy and shaky for me, kinda took away from the ride. Past on Everst ride, or water ride since had evening plans. Seeing all the "real" animals was great and while warm, a very enjoyable day. Drove over to Port Canaveral for dinner.

Day 6: Check out was a breeze with express check out, got to Airport 2 hours ahead of when I thought the plane left. But flight time changed and then flight delayed, so at airport for about 4 hours till flight left. Left Florida at 88 degrees, return to Indy and 68 degrees.

PROS: Everything at all parks was A+ on all aspects, rides, shows and employees were great. Hotel was great and enjoyable. Had no problems finding things even driving a rental car, which for us was the only way to go, buses, while nice, to restrictive.

CONS: Parents with strollers who forget they are not the only ones at the parks. Please parents, I know driving a stroller is tough, but remember not everyone has kids and wants to be run over. Also, I am a big guy, okay I am fat, but I walk around the parks. If you are fat, then either don't go, or don't use it as an excuse to rent a cart and then force your way through the lines, which happen a few times. If you are handicapped, then okay, being fat is not a handicap.

I had a great time, of the 3 Disney parks I went to, AK was tops, but then I really like Animals. WDW seems...well outgrown for me. When I was a young kid it was great, but now, while interesting it seemed "small" to me. The rides were okay and everything, but I kinda believe I have outgrown WDW. But I really enjoyed Epcot and AK and Downtown Disney and hope to go back down the road.

thanks for your report. I think by the sounds of it you had a great time.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter