Return to the Scene of the Crime: The Lurkyloos’ First Anniversary at WDW! New VIDEO!

Our second trip on the safari ride felt different, just like everyone says. For one thing, in honor of our anniversary, we were given the back seat all to ourselves – and the view is great! You can see the whole savannah, with no obstructions.

IMG_9537.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg

It’s kinda blurry, but I love this one.... you’d almost think the bird was posed there!
IMG_9543.jpg

Slightly less frisky Ankole Cattle
IMG_9547.jpg

This guy’s hoping we don’t recognize him from last time...
IMG_9548.jpg

IMG_9549.jpg

IMG_9550.jpg

Baby elephant!
IMG_9552.jpg

IMG_9553.jpg

IMG_9554.jpg

If you look reeeeeeally closely.... you prolly still won’t see the sleeping lion...
IMG_9556.jpg

Here either!
IMG_9557.jpg

IMG_9558.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

The coolest part of this trip on the safari was being chased by a white rhino! Since DH and I were in the back, I think we’re the only ones who noticed him sneak (if something as large as a rhino can sneak) out of the bushes and come trotting after the ride vehicle! As in any photo, he looked closer in person than he does in this picture!

IMG_9560.jpg

Another shower from the geyser
IMG_9561.jpg

After routing another band of evil poachers (really, I think the nature preserve needs to get stronger gates or something), we set off on the African animal trail.

Not an anteater
IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9568.jpg

Whoops! Caught live-blogging!
IMG_9569.jpg

In the, uh, Small Critter House, we discovered a litter of naked mole rats that had been born that day! The CM standing between the railing and the mole rat nursery offered to take a picture for us when she saw DH struggling to zoom in.

IMG_9572.jpg

This might be my favorite place on the Africa trail
IMG_9574.jpg

So when we got to the area where the meerkats hang out, we saw the goofiest looking thing....

“OK, I think no one’s looking...”
IMG_9575.jpg

“Alley-oop!!!”
IMG_9578.jpg

“Maybe if I hide behind these leaves no one will see me...”
IMG_9577.jpg

IMG_9576.jpg

Moving on....

IMG_9579.jpg

Reemerging in civilization we suddenly felt impelled to EAT!
IMG_9581.jpg

Along the way to EAT we took a detour through the Tamu Tamu Courtyard, where Nathan & Jensey recently shot a fabulous wedding reception.

IMG_9582.jpg

IMG_9583.jpg

IMG_9584.jpg

If you just saw the Tamu Tamu courtyard from the street, you’d never think, “Gee, that looks like the perfect spot for a fabulous wedding reception!”

IMG_9585.jpg

We finally got to see DeVine! She’s the performance artist dressed like a bush who freaks you out when she starts moving....

IMG_9586.jpg

And we visited our owl buddy outside the Flights of Wonder show...

IMG_9588.jpg

Almost to lunch...

I love this little pavilion – they should use it for something, like maybe teeny tiny weddings!
IMG_9505.jpg

Lunch!
IMG_9504.jpg

I dunno why we went back to Yak & Yeti after our mediocre meal there on the honeymoon. Maybe cuz the atmosphere is so cool? And we like table service? At any rate, with lowered expectations and a firm grasp on our wallets, we managed to have an OK lunch.

The maitre d’ is kind of imposing...
IMG_9589.jpg

We got to sit upstairs, in this room. I dunno if I’d like eating downstairs where there are no windows...
IMG_9596.jpg

We each got the wonton soup and split the appetizer sampler platter.

Wonton Soup - pork wontons, clear chicken broth and vegetables
IMG_9590.jpg

Dim Sum Basket - Pork pot stickers, shrimp siu mai, cha su bao, and pork sie mai steamed on a banana leaf, soy lime dipping sauce
IMG_9592.jpg

IMG_9593.jpg

IMG_9594.jpg

IMG_9595.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

During lunch I sent and received a flurry of text messages as I tried to coordinate Jennifaerie & Rob & Nathan & Jensey. It’s always funny to me how we spend so long typing out messages to each other when we could just phone. But I guess then you have to do all the pleasantries, like hello and goodbye, instead of just blurting out the pertinent info like you do with text messages.

Jennifaerie & Rob were having a dickens of a time getting a room at Animal Kingdom Lodge that was made up, so DH and I wandered around some more while they waited.

IMG_9601.jpg

Best. Coke counter. EVER!
IMG_9602.jpg

IMG_9603.jpg

We paused to take a glamour shot of the anniversary mouse ears DH made...

IMG_9604.jpg

... and of this snail.

IMG_9606.jpg

I found your link on another PTR as well, and was hooked reading about the past and now the present! The wedding ptr, etc., was great to read, loved your anecdotal style of writing... Anyhoo, looking forward to it again -- thought your cake was whimsical and saw on your blog that it was resurrected! Can't wait to hear more ... :thumbsup2

Then I decided we had to take a bazillion pictures of the Eel Pavilion near Flame Tree BBQ for DISer Wazzo, who was considering holding her rehearsal dinner there but has since changed her plans, probably to keep me from sending anymore &$*#@! pictures of the Eel Pavilion...

IMG_9607.jpg

IMG_9608.jpg

Eels and crabs – sworn enemies!!!
IMG_9609.jpg

IMG_9610.jpg

Then we took some more pictures.... (I’m sorry – is this boring anyone else?)

IMG_9611.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

I assume this is called the Anteater Pavilion...
IMG_9613.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

Along about here...

IMG_9616.jpg

...the strap on DH’s brand-new Crocs broke. This was especially frustrating because, by gum, we’d held out against Crocs as long as we could before giving in and buying them for their comfort and waterproof...iosity. And then they went and broke on the second day of our vacation!

Fortunately, DH persevered in order to bring you these photos:

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9620.jpg

By this time, Jennifaerie & Rob had been given a room, so we made plans to meet them at the Tree of Life.

IMG_9622.jpg

IMG_9625.jpg

My little Eagle Scout took a photo for a solo traveler.

photo-88.jpg

And then we spotted them!

IMG_9624.jpg

Jennifaerie & Robifaeire! (Looks like we aren't the only ones to milk our wedding for all it's worth in free desserts!)

photo-89.jpg

She’s gonna kill me for posting a mid-speech picture, so let us all erase the memory by turning our gazes to this:

0519copy.jpg

Jennifaerie & Rob had just gotten off a fabulous Disney cruise, and what’s more, she won at bingo on her birthday! And apparently they give you real money!!! So we pressed her for details and surreptitiously tried to pick her pockets while wandering around the base of the Tree of Life.

IMG_9626.jpg

We had half an hour til Nathan & Jensey were due to arrive, but the four of us were doing that polite thing where nobody makes a decision about what the group should do. Finally Jennifaerie ventured to say that the safari was her absolutely mostest favoritest ride in the park, so off we went!

Gee, this looks familiar!
IMG_9631.jpg

I swear I’m not just recycling pictures from the last post
IMG_9634.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

IMG_9637.jpg

IMG_9628.jpg

IMG_9630.jpg

We saved the game preserve from still another band of marauding poachers just in time to get back to the Tree of Life to meet Nathan & Jensey – hooray!

Anyhoo, looking forward to it again -- thought your cake was whimsical and saw on your blog that it was resurrected! Can't wait to hear more ... :thumbsup2

Yes - Disney is so good, it can even bring back the dead.... cakes, that is!! :rotfl:

That goofy looking thing is a Gerenuk btw...

With a name so close to "giraffe" no wonder he's having an identity crisis! :lmao: Thanks for the info. :thumbsup2

Yes! DH made them at the direction of someone who is definitely not Stacy London or Clinton Kelly. :rotfl: I couldn't help it - if we were gonna score free desserts as a pair of non-newlyweds, I knew I had to pull out all the stops!

:laughing: I happen to be a very big fan of What Not to Wear...But it has always been my theory that fashion rules do not apply to Disney. You must do whatever you have to for free stuff. And that is what I fully intend to do on our honeymoon. I actually told my DF about the ones you guys wore on your honeymoon, we are thinking of recreating them if you don't mind us stealing your idea!! We are not big fans of the ones Disney puts out but we need something to attract the freebies!! ;)

Then I decided we had to take a bazillion pictures of the Eel Pavilion near Flame Tree BBQ for DISer Wazzo, who was considering holding her rehearsal dinner there but has since changed her plans, probably to keep me from sending anymore &$*#@! pictures of the Eel Pavilion...

:rotfl2:

Beautiful pics and no way are they boring. I take pics of random things all over WDW. I love seeing what other people take pics of. :)

Wow Carrie your right about the Tamu Tamu Courtyard. I never would have thought about a wedding there, but I just looked at the Root's Photos and OMG! They are AMAZING!!:love:

Fab update btw

Cathy

Carrie, I got the magazine and have been showing it off to people at work. Your wedding also received a mention in AGPrincess (Emma aka The Disney Snob)'s current trip report. I can't wait to read more.

popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn:: I don't know how I missed the beginning of your report but I'm here now and already loving every word of it.

Man, you're good... buttering me up. :rotfl:

Alas, our room wasn't ready until we got to the resort later. That's why you were trying to pick pocket the bingo money. :D

Oh No....not another Lurkyloo trip report. :thumbsup2

I think we had the same Kia as you, but ours had a 5 speed manual. :rotfl2:
Good thing we could drive it! :scared:

Can't wait to read more!

OMG - I did stalk your wedding - it's just that we were always three steps behind or ahead of you! First we heard from a Friendship Boat captain that your wedding had been moved inside (I know... how did he know? :confused: ). Then we went by UK Lower *before* you got there and pumped the event guide for info. When she told us you'd been moved to Wonders of Life but would be able to come out for the fireworks, I was so relieved. I almost blogged a really crummy iPhone pic of your DP setup (which was, uh, not setup) but then I thought I shouldn't scoop your story. :goodvibes
Can't wait to read all about your wedding! popcorn::

WOW!!!! I am amazed they all knew what was happening!!!!! LOL I will be sure to post as much info as I can! :thumbsup2

See...if you had been home, you would have enjoyed all the bits and crannies of my report..My friend (who you met) thought I was off my rocker for stopping every few minutes to post pictures

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter