Retire at Disney

WDW*Dreamer

Mouseketeer
I would love to retire from the “real world” and work at WDW! I’m still probably 15 years away from retirement, but I’ve been running the retirement calculators on the web and trying to get my finances in order for the big day. party: What I don’t know is; how hard is it for a 60 year old to get a job at Disney, how much (or how little) do typical Cast Members make, and how hard is it to get a position with benefits (i.e.: health care)?

I wouldn’t be looking for anything too stressful; I will be officially “retired” from work stress. I’m thinking a job in one of the stores or resorts.

Any advice would be appreciated

WDW*Dreamer

I would love to retire from the “real world” and work at WDW! I’m still probably 15 years away from retirement, but I’ve been running the retirement calculators on the web and trying to get my finances in order for the big day. party: What I don’t know is; how hard is it for a 60 year old to get a job at Disney, how much (or how little) do typical Cast Members make, and how hard is it to get a position with benefits (i.e.: health care)?

I wouldn’t be looking for anything too stressful; I will be officially “retired” from work stress. I’m thinking a job in one of the stores or resorts.

Any advice would be appreciated

WDW*Dreamer

No advice but when my husband and I go we'll talk often with the older workers. The ones that are doing what you want to do. They all seem to enjoy it very much. Next time you go spend some time chatting with them.

This is also my dream! I have about 7 years to go now.

My DH can retire from the military in 10 more years with 30 years of service, he will be 52 and I will be 47. Plus, DD8 will be out of high school and off to college. We plan on doing this examt same thing. Soon as summer is over, we are packing up and heading to Florida. He plans on only working part- time, but I plan on working full-time. I am hoping to work in food-service as a server (I have 15 years experience with that) or in the bakery or candy shop. DH wants to be a greeter at one of the deluxe resorts. In reality, we will take what we can get to start out with and work our way up.

We have spoken to older cast members at the parks and they all love what they are doing and had nothing but goods to say.

We are already counting down the days!

I am a close relative to a CM. From what I have seen/heard over the past 10 years, many jobs at WDW pay around minimum wage(whatever that might be by the time your retirement comes around). Sure there are opportunities to advance, and there are positions for CMs with expertise in certain areas, but it appears to me that the wages are at best, just average.

The upside is, I don't think being a senior is viewed as being a negative in the Disney organization. As long as you are physically fit to perform the functions of your job, I think you'll be fine.

If the job is something you enjoy doing, and fills up your time during your retirement, I think it would be a great deal of fun. CMs are entitled to some pretty deep discounts on many things, and if I recall correctly, full-time employees are eligible for some inexpensive health insurance. Some businesses and services in the area also offer discounts to CMs.

Hopefully we'll have some CMs weigh-in with their take on the situation. :earsboy:

Count DH & I in as well! I have 11 years until retirement. I will probably work a few years beyond that & then DH and I are outttaaaa here fast :car:

We have several relatives that live & own homes in Celebration, & that's where we plan on relocating to as well. One of those relatives is a CM. I have heard nothing but good things about working in WDW.

DH & I have also talked with several CM during our trips. From what we've heard, retirees are ideal for working for Disney. Disney knows that they are responsible adults who will get the job done! DH knows I want to work for Disney & he is all for it.

Can't wait!! :cool1::cool1:

I've already planned my retirement in Orlando but not working at Disney, but living closeby!:thumbsup2

Who knows what the future will hold but right now it is nearly impossible to get hired at WDW. If you check the openings at

www.disneycareers.com

you'll see that it is primarily for college students/interns or management experience.

I've spent some time at disneycareers.com.....posted my resume, etc.

I know those career type jobs a hard to get. However, If you click "openings">"Walt Disney World Resort" it takes you to a page for the hourly jobs. I just noticed this today. These are the jobs I'm looking for. If you click around it even gives you some pay rates....

"Outdoor Foods ($7.95/hour for full-time, part-time and seasonal roles), Security ($9.74/hour for full-time, part-time and seasonal roles), Bus Driver ($10.55/hour for full-time, part-time and seasonal roles), Character Performer ($9.00/hour for full-time, part-time and seasonal roles), Resort Guest Services ($8.75/hour for full-time roles) and Culinary ($8.80/hour for full-time and part-time roles)."

Who knows what the future will hold but right now it is nearly impossible to get hired at WDW. If you check the openings at

www.disneycareers.com

you'll see that it is primarily for college students/interns or management experience.

That is the career page not the "job" page. Hiring isn't what it was a few years ago but people are still getting hired for jobs at Disney and mostly what those retiring would be interested in doing (versus full fledged career positions).

Liz

I've spent some time at disneycareers.com.....posted my resume, etc.

I know those career type jobs a hard to get. However, If you click "openings">"Walt Disney World Resort" it takes you to a page for the hourly jobs. I just noticed this today. These are the jobs I'm looking for. If you click around it even gives you some pay rates....

"Outdoor Foods ($7.95/hour for full-time, part-time and seasonal roles), Security ($9.74/hour for full-time, part-time and seasonal roles), Bus Driver ($10.55/hour for full-time, part-time and seasonal roles), Character Performer ($9.00/hour for full-time, part-time and seasonal roles), Resort Guest Services ($8.75/hour for full-time roles) and Culinary ($8.80/hour for full-time and part-time roles)."

That is the career page not the "job" page. Hiring isn't what it was a few years ago but people are still getting hired for jobs at Disney and mostly what those retiring would be interested in doing (versus full fledged career positions).

Liz

Yes you are both right, I stand corrected :)

As a Hotel GM and in the hospitality industry for 20+ years, just be warned, it is a demanding field.

You will be there in the rain, the heat, you only get a few breaks, you can't touch a breadstick, etc etc.

While I love my field, it is not for everyone. Maybe do a little part time work before you pick up and move there just assuming it will be your dream job.

Last year I spoke to a wonderful CM who was greeting guests entering the MK....he seemed quite frail.....But he was just so upbeat & happy! It was blazing hot & humid & he was smiling & joking...turns out he was almost 89 years young, had been a p/t CM since he retired from his 'other' work 25 yrs prior. He still loved EVERY day as a CM...he said, "Don't get me wrong, it is still a job & a tough one some days, but it is truly the BEST JOB IN THE WORLD !" :goodvibes

I am almost there! I sold my house in Ohio and have now moved to northern Florida in the Panhandle where my husband and I have a small house that we need to sell before we can pack it all up and head to central Florida. I have been contemplating our move to central Florida for YEARS with the hope of getting a part-time job at Walt Disney World doing something, anything -- it doesn't matter to me. Unfortunately this housing market crash has put a damper on my timeline, but I remain optimistic and am hoping for the best. I think 2011 will be the soonest I can make the move. Perhaps by then I will have become acclimated to the Florida heat and can handle working in one of the parks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sounds like a plan, DebbieW! Good for you! Maybe there'll be a special group for us DISers who retire to Central FLA & become CMs !! :thumbsup2

We're on track for late 2011/early 2012 ! :goodvibes

Do you have a particular neighborhood/area you hope to move to?

Getting a job is not hard. Getting a job with benefits is hard. The majority of Disney CMs are part time. Disney doesn't want the majority to be full time because they don't want to pay benefits. My sister is a CM. She worked for 3 years before a full time position became available. She had to put in a bid for it.

Part time people can get health benefits, but it is for a very small amount. It is something like $1000 a year of coverage and you have to pay an amount out of each paycheck. Both full and part time CMs pay for their health coverage. I think my sister pays something like $32 a pay check for her coverage.

Most CM jobs are minimum wage. Pay rate depends on the position. For instance, bus drivers make more than you park attendant. As a part time person, you are required to give three days of full availability. That means they can schedule you for as much or as little as they want on those three days. They can put you on a night shift or a day shift.

Part time CMs get no vacation or sick days. If you do not show up on a scheduled day, no matter the reason, you get a point. After so many points, you get a reprimand. Too many and you get fired.

Working for Disney isn't always easy. Some love it and some don't. I didn't like it. My sister has been a CM for almost six years and really enjoys it. Just don't expect working for Disney to be like a vacation. It's not.

Wow! It is so cool that so many people have the same dream DH and I do. OP... thanks for posting this thread. It is quite interesting. We have quite a bit of time before we can retire, but the goal is to move to Florida and work at Disney. I would love to work at one of the value resorts or one of the shops. Heck... I would work just about anywhere there.

I think the issues are different for retired people who already have a retirement income and/or benefits and don't need to rely on Disney to live, just for some extra income. Your attitude can also be significantly different if you're able to walk away anytime you get tired of it.

Sounds like a plan, DebbieW! Good for you! Maybe there'll be a special group for us DISers who retire to Central FLA & become CMs !! :thumbsup2

We're on track for late 2011/early 2012 ! :goodvibes

Do you have a particular neighborhood/area you hope to move to?

Not yet. I've been looking online for apartments -- somewhere to park myself temporarily until I have an opportunity to really look around. For whatever reason, when I do look at houses online, I seem to be drawn to areas southwest and northwest of Disney. I've been a homeowner for so many years -- who knows, I might actually like apartment life for a while.

I'm all for a special group. Sign me up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter