• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rethinking my plan for my FD trip Oct 2012

chimo2u

DIS Veteran
After reading some threads where people spent easily $300.00 on a meal at California Grill for 3 people, I am rethinking my DP and usage of my credits for my free dining trip in Oct 2012. originally, I was planning on throwing in a signature meal at CG for our arrival night.....however, if we can't use our credits, I could be out a lot of money! I am thinking about perhaps just booking OHANA instead, and saving on paying out of pocket.....we could still be lucky enough to get a nice seat for seeing the fireworks during the night, however.....if we don't, it will be fine, as we are staying Club level at the Poly and I am sure we could find some alternatives in the lounge, or on the POLY beach if we don't get a prime dining view :)

I just want to utilize the Budget to our advantage as best as I can, and I would rather put my cash towards experiences like MNSSHP tickets and the Epcot Segway tour we want to book, than out of pocket dining expenses.....

I could have as little as 3 Disney Adults on this trip, or if my oldest son does join us too....4 Disney adults to plan for.....I think free dining is a great discount t for us in our situation, and I am so happy to have gotten an offer I could use! Do you like OHANA for dinner? I think may be a good compromise for us while keeping to our allowances.

Looking at my previous plans, I see some changes!

Here is where I stand currentl:

ENTITLEMENTS FOR 3 Disney Adults:

Basic Dining Plan= 5 TS Credits PP (5x3=15 Total TS Credits)
5 QS Credits PP ( 5 x 3=15 Total QS Credits)

Saturday September 29 RESORT POOL/ Epcot Evening??

Arrive MCO at _________ approximate arrival POLYNESIAN Resort: __________AM (lounge breakfast)

1.) Lunch: QS Captain Cook’s (adult grilled chs.?) (pay out of pocket)
2.) Dinner: 7:50 pm?? California Grill confirmation # ______________ 3 People,. Watch Wishes from Contemporary/Cali Grill (2 TS PP = 15-6 = 9TS left) CHANGE: dinner at OHANA, 15TS - 3= 12 TS left)

Sunday Sept 30, 2012 ANIMAL KGDM DAY??

1.) Breakfast: Lounge
2.) Lunch: QS in AK : Yak and Yeti?? (15-3 = 12 QS remaining)
3.) Dinner: 6 pm? Beach Club Cape May Clambake (12-3=9 TS remaining)
Confirm# _______________________ 3 ppl

Monday, October 1, 2012 MK Day/ Resort Pool/MNSSHP??

1.) Breakfast: Lounge Visit MK a little then come back to pool?? /RELAX before party
2.) Lunch: QS (12-3=9 QS left)
3.) Dinner: QS at MK. Columbia Harbour house/ Pecos Bills COSMIC RAYs (9 QS – 3QS= 6 QS left)

Tuesday October 2, 2012 EPCOT DAY??
2.) Lunch: Sunshine Seasons QS (The Land) ( 6QS – 3QS = 3QS Left)
3.) Dinner: Teppan EDO 5:45 PM (9TS – 3 TS = 6 TS Credits remain) Bkg# _________________________ 3 PPL Then watch Illuminations @ 9pm ** monorail to the POLY after??

Wednesday Oct 3, 2012 DHS DAY??
2.) Lunch: Sci- Fi Diner Conf # ________________________3ppl (6TS – 3 TS = 3TS credits remain.)
3.) Dinner: Downtown Disney: Wolfgang Puck Express (3QS – 3QS = 0 QS remain)

Thursday Feb 10 Checkout day move to Hard Rock Hotel Universal Studios

1.) Breakfast at 8:45 am Kona Café 3TS - 3 TS = 0 TS left for breakfast prior to Pick Up for Universal Studios

Keep Cali Grill and just pay for your breakfast at Kona OOP....that would not be a good use of a TS credit as you don't get a dessert with breakfast and breakfast food is just cheaper.

Also, I'm not sure I would pay for that first QS meal OOP. Wait for the day you are doing two QS meals and see where you are credit wise. You may find you have enough if you've shared some meals or someone hasn't eaten one of their meals. Since you're doing two higher priced places on your last two days, you don't want to wait and pay OOP for those, but I would wait until the 1st and see what you have left.

do you have park hopper? If not you might want to wait to make these decisions until you see the extra magic hours

I agree with the other poster. Pay for Kona out of pocket if yo ureall ywant to eat at cali grill. that being said, we really like Ohana for breakfast and dinner.

For 2012, each TS credit on DDP "costs" about $32.50. So, a single DDP covered meal at CG may only cost ~$50 and you'd be losing about $6.25 per credit (or $12.50 total).

However, TS breakfasts outside of character meals (and even including some character meals) are usually an even worse use of TS credits. Kona itself cost me about $15 for Tonga Toast + Juice (no dessert for breakfast), thus making a theoretical loss of ~17.50 per credit.

If you have a second cheap OOP meal planned, or you were floating with 1 extra credit, I'd keep what you have planned now (and Sci-Fi jumps out at me for this).

However, if you're planning to stay at Poly CL, I'd keep an eye out for room discounts as well, as they may save you more than FD will, even if you purchase the dining plan.

For 2012, FD will save you either $154.62 or $206.16 per night (The cost of the dining plan for 3 or 4 adults). A 35% room discount (which is lower than what I've seen historically offered) would save you about $254 per night (weekday) on a Garden View CL room (first week of October, weekday rate of $724 per night).

So, for a 5 night trip, not counting tickets (since they'd be the same either way), the FD would cost you about $3620. For that same 5 night trip, using the 35% discount and buying the dining plan outright would cost you roughly $3384.

Thanks for the replies so far :) Thanks to the poster who recommended paying OOP for Kona Breakfast.....we may just do that and keep Cali Grill....I will have park hoppers, so EMH won't be a concern. Also, Cali Grill is a resort restaurant, as it Ohana, so I don't think EMH will affect us in any way.
Most people seem to enjoy California Grill, and my son is a huge steak lover, as well, he is interested in trying some good sushi, so I will be open to paying oop for our apps....I am not all concerned about best value for the money....as long as every one enjoyes themselves, and I don't end up with a $300.00 dinner bill oop, I would be happy :) I would prefer to use my credits for this meal though, so I guess it is back to the drawing board for me!!!
Thanks for all the ideas!
Marie

I'd definately do Kona oop. It's very cheap compared to other meals. Plus if you have the lounge you may find you don't even want to eat there by the end of the trip.

(If it's to try stuff there portions are HUGE and easily splittable.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter