Retail pushing seasons

lovemygoofy

DIS Veteran
Does anyone else hate this with a passion? It is colder than a well digger's bare *** right now and I go into target and see bathing suits! I can't find some rock salt to melt the ice off my porch but hey no problem because I can buy a bathing suit in January when winter has barely started.

Same thing when they start putting out Christmas stuff before halloween. Heck I saw a store putting up some Easter stuff already.

I'd like to be able to buy what I need during the season I need it not 3 months ahead of time. People need winter gear now and can't seem to find it. Gloves/hats/scarves are on the clearance rack if you can find them and snow boots are a hot commidity it seems. But hey I can buy a bathing suit and get a good suntan on top of the snow.

Oh great!! Target has bathing suits out now?? I need to run out and get one this Saturday-my daughter has a pool party to go to at safety swim Sunday and her suit from last year doesn't fit her anymore!! Thanks for the tip!!

This drives me crazy, too. I was at the grocery before New Year's and saw a display of Cadbury Creme Eggs. Easter?? That's FOUR months away!!

I love holidays, I REALLY do, but seriously!! By the time some holidays arrive I'm totally bored with them. The lady at the Yankee Candle store told me that when their Halloween stuff was put out for sale this year (which was VERY early, way before Halloween) that they were usually sold out of it long before the actual holiday. :confused3

THANK YOU!!!!! This is a common rant of mine. I don't NEED a swimsiut. I DO NEED some waterproof gloves. Can I find the gloves? No! I should have thought about the gloves in August - but since I was swimming in my pool, I didn't think about gloves!

I can't stand it. It was bad enough when it was *just* Christmas, but now it's everything. They put out Valentine's stuff BEFORE Christmas here! :eek:

I am all for planning ahead, but I also like to live in the present. I don't want to think about having to do Valentine's cards for DD's class when I'm still addressing Christmas cards!

Why do they think we'll buy more stuff when it's so far out of season? :confused3 In the rush to be "first" they put the stuff out so early it's irrevelant.

I want to buy Easter dresses for my girls in the spring, not in February, and I want to buy my Halloween candy in the same month that I'll be handing it out! I couldn't believe when they put it out in September. :headache:

One reason they sell bathing suits now is that the end of January through February is very common vacation time and a lot of people go somewhere warm on vacation. If someone wants to buy a bathing suit off season for the following year they will get much better deals in the fall instead of the winter. At most places at least. Same goes for a winter coat. Don't buy it in the summer, get it just as spring is starting.

As for the other stuff, who knows what they are thinking. I don't start thinking about Christmas until after Thanksgiving but some retail establishments must have it confused with All Saints Day since they start it the day after Halloween.

yes this drives me crazy too!!!
It happened to me last winter, the kids needed new snow pants, and by the time I got around to looking for them it was december and they were gone, gone gone from the stores,
the clerks looked at me like i had 3 heads asking for them!!!

so this year I got them new snow pants and yes I bought them in august!

yep, I went into Target to get DD a hat and mittens, hers went missing. No hats or mittens, but bathing suits and coverups...Brr!

the reason why retailers have bathing suits out in January are because of winter breaks and school vacations when everyone goes on vacation! The disney store I work in will have them out this week!:goodvibes

If they want to sell bathing suits in January because some people need them for vacations, that's fine. But do they have to put away the winter stuff so soon?

My DH bought me a pair of flannel pajamas at Target on Dec. 23. They didn't fit and I wanted another size. He said no problem - there was an entire rack full of that particular style. I took them back on Dec. 27. The whole rack of blue flannel PJs was gone and they replaced it with a rack of thin, summer PJs. The only flannel PJs were a few odds and ends on a sale rack. Did they really sell every single pair in 3 days (they were closed on Christmas)? Didn't they think people might need to exchange things or buy what they didn't get for Christmas or perhaps use their gift cards? I took the cash from the return and bought another pair at JC Penney's. Target lost out on that sale!

The Lands End Shop at Sears now has huge signs up all over the store stating "Winter's End Clearance Now".

I was like :confused3 ??

I went in looking for snow gloves & walked out empty-handed. They're all gone.

oooh, i sooo agree with you too! Target had their Valentine's Day decor out before Christmas, and then I was in Kroger before NYE and saw Easter candy. why is the Easter candy here already????

the retailers need to know when it is just way tooo early!!

Yes I hate it too! I bought candy for Christmas stockings and then couldn't remember where I hid it :rotfl: I went to Eckerd to buy more a week before Christmas and they had no good Christmas candy left. Not a single Hershey kiss even. Only a very tiny bit of yucky stuff. They did have a full aisle of Valentine's candy. I guess it was better than seeing an empty aisle. A little more seasonal inventory please!

Oh I know. I cannot find a pair of warm PJ's for my daughter anywhere. It's ridiculous.

Another reason why they could have bathing suits out right now is because people resolve to join a gym for the new year and some of these gyms have a swimming pool in them.

I do agree that it is entirely way too early to get rid of the winter gear though...I tried shopping for snow boots today and there was nothing at Wal-mart.

Yup, on Jan 2 I went to Kroger and saw an end display full of Cadbury Eggs, and the seasonal isle full of Valentine candy. Went to Kohls and saw Valentines decor and St Patricks Day decor. I figure by March I'll be seeing 4th of July goods!

Does anyone else hate this with a passion? It is colder than a well digger's bare *** right now and I go into target and see bathing suits! I can't find some rock salt to melt the ice off my porch but hey no problem because I can buy a bathing suit in January when winter has barely started.

Same thing when they start putting out Christmas stuff before halloween. Heck I saw a store putting up some Easter stuff already.

I'd like to be able to buy what I need during the season I need it not 3 months ahead of time. People need winter gear now and can't seem to find it. Gloves/hats/scarves are on the clearance rack if you can find them and snow boots are a hot commidity it seems. But hey I can buy a bathing suit and get a good suntan on top of the snow.

Man I soo hate that. Since the Christmas season starts the day after Holloween by the time Christmas actually rolls around I'm usually tired of it.
If you don't by snow boots in august by the time the following January comes and there's actually snow on the ground, don't even bother. :headache:

One of my favorite stores (anthropologie) has some pretty sleeveless summer dresses on display today because that's exactly what I need in 17 weather in Jersey.:lmao:

Doesn't it just blow your mind. We went to Target on the 27th, 2 days after Christmas and the first department is the Jr's and what do we see....6 racks of swim suits. Ummm hello...where did the 6 racks of winter coats go that you had sitting there on the 24th????

And even funnier yet, when we got down to the area that they put all the clearance items, there were still several swim suits from last season sitting on racks for 75/80 % off that hadn't sold.

I went to Children's Place a couple weeks before Christmas looking for a Christmas dress for my DD and all I saw were tank tops, capris and shorts. :headache:

I asked a salesperson if they had any Christmas dresses (you know, since it's still December? :rolleyes:) and she said, "oh no, we got rid of all of them a couple weeks ago."

Really?? You put the Christmas things away a month before Christmas? You gotta be kidding me!

Swimsuits are getting ready for spring break trips.

The winter stuff being gone is a pain though. My guess is they didn't want to over buy and have a lot of 90% clearance gloves in April. I personally enjoy stocking up on the clearance gloves at the end of the season as I know my DD will lose multiple sets during the year. :sad2: Doesn't look like there will be any left for that though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter