Restroom Question

That is not at all what the OP said. They said they could use the larger stalls in the regular restroom areas. So no, the companion restrooms are not the only ones they can use. It is fine if they end up using a companion restroom, but for some guests they cannot use the larger stalls in the regular restrooms at all and the companion ones are the ONLY option. People just need to be aware of that and try to be sensitive to it.

What I was also saying is if at all possible to not use the companion restrooms if they were aware they were going to have to sit for quite a while. As someone who travels with family members that have assorted tummy issues, sometimes the bathroom ends up occupied for long stretches of time. If a guest can use the regular restroom and not the companion restroom during those sorts of instances it would be the more courteous thing to do.

Her post was indicating that others treated her in such a manner that it triggered her and caused a panic attack, IMO that is enough to justify (not that she should have to) that she can take the time she needs in a companion restroom.

That is not at all what the OP said. They said they could use the larger stalls in the regular restroom areas. So no, the companion restrooms are not the only ones they can use. It is fine if they end up using a companion restroom, but for some guests they cannot use the larger stalls in the regular restrooms at all and the companion ones are the ONLY option. People just need to be aware of that and try to be sensitive to it.

What I was also saying is if at all possible to not use the companion restrooms if they were aware they were going to have to sit for quite a while. As someone who travels with family members that have assorted tummy issues, sometimes the bathroom ends up occupied for long stretches of time. If a guest can use the regular restroom and not the companion restroom during those sorts of instances it would be the more courteous thing to do.

I agree, we're a family of 3 and both are needed to take our son.
Sometimes he needs to go with some urgency, we can only use the companion restrooms and there are only a few.
If people who were able to could use the disabled cubicles in the regular restrooms, that would be a very thoughtful thing to do. :goodvibes

I don't see why its a major problem people using the disabled cubicles in the restroom when theres a queue and no one waiting.

OP- the usual comment to make in this situation is 'not every disability is visible'
They should be ashamed of their actions.

That is not at all what the OP said. They said they could use the larger stalls in the regular restroom areas. So no, the companion restrooms are not the only ones they can use.

Ahhh... no. SDSorority said specifically (and it was your comment to her that I was quoting at the top) that her option was going to be the companion restrooms if they could not make it back to their room.

Stacy

Ahhh... no. SDSorority said specifically (and it was your comment to her that I was quoting at the top) that her option was going to be the companion restrooms if they could not make it back to their room.

Stacy

I guess to me each person needs to ask themselves if they have a true need of the companion restroom, or if they can use the regular restrooms. If they can use the regular restrooms then the companion restrooms need to be left for those guests who HAVE to use them. For whatever reason. Just be sensitive to other guest's needs too.

I think we can all agree if people are waiting you shouldnt dawdle. I dont know what else you would do in a Disney bathroom, but that goes without saying disabled or not.

Otherwise, does it really bother people that moms with little kids use the handicapped stalls? I had one time somebody glared at me for taking a stroller in and wadnt sure if it was me or her. At the time my 19 month old was still unable to stand but looked older. I am curious what the imagined protocol is: do I sit my child on the bathroom floor or leave my kids alone in the stroller out there?

OP - Another thing you could do is print up a few small cards to keep in your pocket. They could say something like, "Hello. Although it is not immediately visible, I have a disability that makes it necessary for me to use this stall. Thank you for your understanding." If anyone confronts you, just quietly hand them a card and move on. No need for you to feel anxious, try to explain yourself or involve a CM. Hopefully just having the cards in your pocket would decrease your anxiety about using handicapped stalls. :)

mistysue said:
I think we can all agree if people are waiting you shouldnt dawdle. I dont know what else you would do in a Disney bathroom, but that goes without saying disabled or not.

That's what Chris and I were discussing while we were driving today. What to people think they are going to do in the restroom? Write a book or knit a scarf or something? Most people take care of business and leave. Hopefully they stop and wash their hands afterwards but that is a different thread entirely.

Stacy

But please please please be considerate of the time factor. I have had times where a mom with small children has taken that stall for upwards of 15 minutes! And at a place esp like an airport where you just cannot get off of your ECV and leave it unoccupied (unlike Disney where if you absolsutely had to....) it was VERY frustrating to wait 15 minutes to use the restroom. And she was already in there when I entered the restroom!!! That was just crazy!!
This is something that frustrates me as well. That and people who use them as a place to change clothes. Ugh. THe handicapped stall by Kali Rapids always is soaked. I try to avoid it

That's what Chris and I were discussing while we were driving today. What to people think they are going to do in the restroom? Write a book or knit a scarf or something? Most people take care of business and leave. Hopefully they stop and wash their hands afterwards but that is a different thread entirely.

Stacy

Some people use them to change clothes/do their hair/do makeup. That is especially popular with parents who have little girls doing princess meals. Also I have read a poster who stated they are great places for time-outs when their kids are bad.

Some people use them to change clothes/do their hair/do makeup. That is especially popular with parents who have little girls doing princess meals. Also I have read a poster who stated they are great places for time-outs when their kids are bad.

That erodes my faith in humanity as a whole. I have no problem with people with anxiety issues or PSTD using a bathroom. I have no issues with a parent and child using the companion restrooms.

But I draw the line at people doing their clothes/hair/makeup or putting their children into costumes.

Those people are not nice people.

Stacy

Otherwise, does it really bother people that moms with little kids use the handicapped stalls? I had one time somebody glared at me for taking a stroller in and wadnt sure if it was me or her. At the time my 19 month old was still unable to stand but looked older. I am curious what the imagined protocol is: do I sit my child on the bathroom floor or leave my kids alone in the stroller out there?

If you have another adult with you, then you can take turns watching the child in the stroller. If you are at WDW alone with the child, you must take the child in with you of course!

You must admit, that having a time out in a stinky bathroom might stop a child from repeating a behaviour! :-)

However, I personally am not the wicked witch of the west and I leave the bathroom for tinkling.

If I sum up my question about etiquette it goes something like this:

Companion bathrooms are sacred. Leave them for those who really need them for things like changing catheters or who have special needs. In other words. If you judge yourself and your kids to be able bodied, stay out.

Handicapped stalls: if you see someone visibly in need of one and you are in front if them in line, don't use it. If there is a line and no one that you can tell with your eyes needs it, do a quick glance back to see if anyone is heading there when its available, and go if the coast is clear. It is a quick service stall. In and out. If you have to do a number two, choose another door.

It is ok to take your young children in, (often the only changing table is in this stall) but don't dilly dalley. As soon as your children are old enough let them go in another stall
A quick, anyone need the handicap stall ? Is appreciated.

. (Tip from another board. If you are afraid to have a slightly older child use a stall while you are using another stall, or if they are a different sex going into their bathroom alone, give them an emergency whistle that they can blow. Especially good for "iffy" places)

Even though that I gotta go feeling is unpleasant, be respectful of the person using the stall before you, handicapped or otherwise. Don't go off on them for being in there for an extended period. You really don't know what their medical needs may be. They might just be hogging the stall, but life is so much better if we believe there is a legitimate reason for taking their time.

Big hugs to the OP. no one should be treated that way.

I don't have a problem with parents taking their strollers in. My biggest problem is with people who use the stall to get changed, talk on the phone, play on their phones, eat lunch etc. Once (not at Disney) I waited for over half an hour, knocked on the door twice, and when the lady finally came out, she was glaring at me! She was in there just talking on the phone. Very frustrating.

I don't have a problem with parents taking their strollers in. My biggest problem is with people who use the stall to get changed, talk on the phone, play on their phones, eat lunch etc. Once (not at Disney) I waited for over half an hour, knocked on the door twice, and when the lady finally came out, she was glaring at me! She was in there just talking on the phone. Very frustrating.

Can I just share how much I hate it when people talk on the phone in the restrooms! What is so important you can't hang up for 3 minutes? Not to mention, how germy is your phone getting!:scared: And I always wonder if the people on the other end can hear what is going on!:crazy2:

Eww eww eww.

Can I just share how much I hate it when people talk on the phone in the restrooms! What is so important you can't hang up for 3 minutes? Not to mention, how germy is your phone getting!:scared: And I always wonder if the people on the other end can hear what is going on!:crazy2:

Eww eww eww.

Seriously gross. And it's not like you have any privacy in the stall for your call.
Op sorry that happened to you. I hope the rest of your trip was wonderful.

Place me in the camp who feel companion washrooms are for special needs people and not for those without special needs. Yes, as a single did with a disabled daughter my last two trips the only place I could use to assist my 25 tear old special needs DD was not in the ladies, not in the men's but in the companion washroom.

Yes having to wait for 20 minutes in the brutal Florida sun and heat while a dad attended to his 2 year old-ish son when the men's washroom was right there is inexcusable.

Now, what about the GAC card which is freely obtainable at Guest Relations? We have used it so DD doesn't have to wait in the hot sun in large lines. That way someone with a non-visible disability would have a visible indication at the companion washrooms to others.
Dan

I agree that if you can practice saying to people who are nasty "not all disabilities are visible". That's probably your best bet if someone's nasty again in the future. We talk on this board a bunch about "social stories" when dealing with kids with disabilities, but as an adult with PTSD they've worked rather well for me. Even if I'm the person who writes out the "story", just repeating it at home in a safe space can help.

I'm a wheelchair user, but I needed the bars in bathroom stalls long before I looked at all disabled. I've had my moments of frustration when someone spent an inordinate amount of time in a stall and came out and looked non-disabled. I only have said things when it's been someone who was on their phone or something else that isn't really appropriate use of the stall. One of the situations that I've encountered where I haven't said anything and wanted was parents with kids where the parent says to the kid "we're not leaving until you go to the bathroom". I understand why that's what they want (especially in an amusement park), but if it's the only stall I can use, it's very frustrating to have to wait 5-10 minutes for the parent to get the kid to cooperate. Plus for me that can turn into an "accident" depending on how long the wait and how close the next closest bathroom is. (I've tried knocking to make it clear that someone needs the stall, but it doesn't usually help.)

When I can, I don't mind waiting if there's a line and someone several people ahead of me uses it, especially if there are only a few stalls. When it's a mostly empty bathroom with plenty of free stalls and the person walking in directly in front of me heads directly for the only stall I can fit in with my wheelchair, I get frustrated. Again, I don't say anything unless they then do something like get on their phone.

Every time I hear someone on their phone in a public restroom, I get very tempted to do my "business" loudly. I do know people who will make loud exclamations to make sure the person on the other end of the phone knows what's going on. And while I know some people who avoid flushing in that situation, I have no problems flushing even if the person is in the stall directly next to me. I've heard some scary stories, though, from folks who worked as executive assistants to demanding bosses who really did expect them to answer their phone immediately no matter where they are. While I feel bad for the EA, maybe if the boss gets regaled with enough toilets flushing, they'll be willing to wait a couple minutes while their employee is in the bathroom.

Does anyone know if any of the touring plans ever track waits at bathrooms? It might be a useful feature many people. I know there's no way to be completely accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were trackable patterns. For example, I'd assume that the closest rest rooms to Fantasmic probably fill up right after the show gets out. There are probably rides where similar things may happen.

I'd love to see Disney put in some actual changing rooms near places that people are likely to want to change clothes or change their kids' clothes. This isn't just near character meals, but near rides like Kali River Rapids. It would be more convenient for everyone because who really wants to change clothes in a public restroom?

Eww eww eww.

That really annoys me too! So gross! Last time it happened to me, I was nearly going to shout "Excuse me, I'm trying to GO here!" Bad enough having a bit of a shy bladder without someone using the bathrooms as a mobile phone talking room.

Now, what about the GAC card which is freely obtainable at Guest Relations? We have used it so DD doesn't have to wait in the hot sun in large lines. That way someone with a non-visible disability would have a visible indication at the companion washrooms to others.
Dan

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this comment but is sounds like you are suggesting that those of us with invisible disabilities wear our GAC as a "label" or, at the very least, show our GACs to anyone who questions our use of a companion washroom. This is not something that I'm willing to do - I'll show my GAC to a CM, but it is no business of any other guest to look for my GAC.

If I sum up my question about etiquette it goes something like this:

Companion bathrooms are sacred. Leave them for those who really need them for things like changing catheters or who have special needs. In other words. If you judge yourself and your kids to be able bodied, stay out.

Handicapped stalls: if you see someone visibly in need of one and you are in front if them in line, don't use it. If there is a line and no one that you can tell with your eyes needs it, do a quick glance back to see if anyone is heading there when its available, and go if the coast is clear. It is a quick service stall. In and out. If you have to do a number two, choose another door.

It is ok to take your young children in, (often the only changing table is in this stall) but don't dilly dalley. As soon as your children are old enough let them go in another stall
A quick, anyone need the handicap stall ? Is appreciated.

. (Tip from another board. If you are afraid to have a slightly older child use a stall while you are using another stall, or if they are a different sex going into their bathroom alone, give them an emergency whistle that they can blow. Especially good for "iffy" places)

Even though that I gotta go feeling is unpleasant, be respectful of the person using the stall before you, handicapped or otherwise. Don't go off on them for being in there for an extended period. You really don't know what their medical needs may be. They might just be hogging the stall, but life is so much better if we believe there is a legitimate reason for taking their time.

Agree with this so much that I didn't even take time to think about what I would add to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter