restaurants to impress first timers

OhioStateBuckeye

DIS Veteran
My BF and I have been to WDW many times in the past few years, but next time (October) we are bringing his mom and sister (adult) with us.

I know which restaurants I like, but I am wondering what might be some of the good restaurants to impress them (with Disney' awesomeness, not impress them with me).

I have a long list and a short list. This is my short list:

Boma breakfast
WCC
Ohana
Sci Fi
San Angel
Tokyo Dining
CRT breakfast

First, I've never eaten at CRT. I was thinking breakfast looked like it had the best options, and maybe I could even make an ADR for before the park opened. Anyone have thoughts on that?

I was told by my BF that they pretty much will eat any type of food.

Anyone have any suggestions of restaurants to impress first timers? And if so, which meal of the day? (i.e. breakfast, lunch or dinner).

Add Be Our Guest, but you can always go there for lunch without an ADR if you're willing to wait in line for about a half hour.

Personally I can see how all of those could be impressive, except WCC. Unless it's just so they can see the lodge. Not a big fan of the restaurant or the food though.

We also really enjoy GF Cafe Breakfast or Dinner. I would rather do Crystal Palace over CRT. Do Sunshines Seasons for a CS.

Kae

IMHO the most impressive Restaurant outside of V&A would be California Grill.

They are scheduled to re-open August 31st so October should be rocking and rolling.

The food, the ambience, and THE VIEW. Go to a later dinner and watch Wishes from the observation deck, or get lucky and score a seat by the window. I really do not think it gets more impressive than that.

That is if the menu stays the same which it constantly changed anyway so i know i will be going back when they open

I think your CRT plan for getting in before Rope Drop is a good one, although that would be the only reason I'd head to CRT with an all-adult party. The food is, in my opinion, not that great.

The easy answer is to visit the signature restaurants: Flying Fish, Jiko, Narcoossee's would be my top 3, and would give you choices near Epcot/DHS, AK, and MK, respectively.

Sanaa is my favorite 1TS restaurant, and I think it is impressive both from a design standpoint and for the food they put out.

Good luck!

I agree with California Grill!! It is our favorite. We are so disappointed that we can't eat there this year. The food is to die for and the view of Wishes is one of the best. We also love Jiko. You could walk around the Animal Kingdom Lodge and see the animals.

California grill is great but it's the one place I feel is inconsistent (had a very bad experience with a server last January, haven't been back since) but you can't beat the view. Jiko is my favorite restaurant on property though, AKL is beautiful and the food and service has been consistent.

If you're willing to drop some coin on the DxDP (could also be done OOP, for example, with TIW) here's an itenerary that I've found knocks the socks off first time visitors because it not only provides some great dining options (and fun character interaction), but also provides a tour of all of the deluxe resorts.

Arrival day: 'Ohana (dinner)
First MK day: CRT (breakfast); Citricos dinner
Second MK day: Crystal Palace (breakfast); Artist Point dinner
First EP day: Teppan Edo or Chefs de France or Biergarten (lunch); Yachtsman (dinner)
Second EP day: Via Napoli (lunch); Cali Grill (dinner)
HS day: 50's Prime Time (lunch); Flying Fish (dinner)
AK day: Tusker House (breakfast); Jiko (dinner)
Departure day: Cape May (breakfast)

Some of our favorites are:

Sanaa-Animal Kingdom Lodge ( Able to watch the animals while you eat if you are there while it is daylight)
Narcoossee's- Grand Floridian (Able to watch fireworks if you time it right)
Raglan Road- DTD (Great menu, Dancers, Irish Pub atmosphere)
Kona- Polynesian (Great food and easy to hop on the monorail)
Ohana- Polynesian(Very good food- Expect to feel stuffed!)

CS
Columbia House -Magic Kingdom (Eat upstairs-less crowded)
Flametree BBQ-Animal Kingdom (Come hungry!)
Wolfgang Puck Express-DTD (AMAZING!!!!!!!!!- More like sit down food!)
Almost all CS in Epcot
Earl of Sandwich (Great sandwiches and great prices!)

Add Be Our Guest, but you can always go there for lunch without an ADR if you're willing to wait in line for about a half hour.

Personally I can see how all of those could be impressive, except WCC. Unless it's just so they can see the lodge. Not a big fan of the restaurant or the food though.

The WCC is for me just because I like that type of food haha. Was also considering Mickey's Backyard BBQ.

I think I am going to go the BOG lunch route.

We also really enjoy GF Cafe Breakfast or Dinner. I would rather do Crystal Palace over CRT. Do Sunshines Seasons for a CS.

Kae

The CRT is kind of a lock because the BF's sister said she'd like to eat in the castle.

IMHO the most impressive Restaurant outside of V&A would be California Grill.

They are scheduled to re-open August 31st so October should be rocking and rolling....

That could be a good choice. We have actually never ate here before.

I think your CRT plan for getting in before Rope Drop is a good one, although that would be the only reason I'd head to CRT with an all-adult party. The food is, in my opinion, not that great.

The easy answer is to visit the signature restaurants: Flying Fish, Jiko, Narcoossee's would be my top 3, and would give you choices near Epcot/DHS, AK, and MK, respectively.

Sanaa is my favorite 1TS restaurant, and I think it is impressive both from a design standpoint and for the food they put out.

Good luck!

You have expensive tastes, my friend :thumbsup2

If you're willing to drop some coin on the DxDP (could also be done OOP, for example, with TIW) here's an itenerary that I've found knocks the socks off first time visitors because it not only provides some great dining options (and fun character interaction), but also provides a tour of all of the deluxe resorts.

Arrival day: 'Ohana (dinner)
First MK day: CRT (breakfast); Citricos dinner
Second MK day: Crystal Palace (breakfast); Artist Point dinner
First EP day: Teppan Edo or Chefs de France or Biergarten (lunch); Yachtsman (dinner)
Second EP day: Via Napoli (lunch); Cali Grill (dinner)
HS day: 50's Prime Time (lunch); Flying Fish (dinner)
AK day: Tusker House (breakfast); Jiko (dinner)
Departure day: Cape May (breakfast)

We are hoping for the dining plan in the fall. I am not sure if people would want to spend the money to upgrade to a DDP, but if so these are good options.

Except 50's. Brian has sworn off that place after he had to stand in the corner.

Some of our favorites are:

Sanaa-Animal Kingdom Lodge ( Able to watch the animals while you eat if you are there while it is daylight)
Narcoossee's- Grand Floridian (Able to watch fireworks if you time it right)
Raglan Road- DTD (Great menu, Dancers, Irish Pub atmosphere)
Kona- Polynesian (Great food and easy to hop on the monorail)
Ohana- Polynesian(Very good food- Expect to feel stuffed!)

CS
Columbia House -Magic Kingdom (Eat upstairs-less crowded)
Flametree BBQ-Animal Kingdom (Come hungry!)
Wolfgang Puck Express-DTD (AMAZING!!!!!!!!!- More like sit down food!)
Almost all CS in Epcot
Earl of Sandwich (Great sandwiches and great prices!)

I forgot about Raglan Road. Ate there once and keep meaning to go back but just haven't been able to fit it in.

If we are on the DP we like to 'cheat' and squeeze Kona in for breakfast one day, we don't use a credit and it is still pretty cheap.

I am not sure if we've ever been able to fit Wolfgang Puck's in either. We agree with your point on EOS and usually eat there if we are in DTD.

Lots of great suggestions...here are mine...

CRT..breakfast
Cali Grill...dinner
Sci Fi.....lunch
Via Napoli...lunch or dinner
Jiko...dinner

Last summer in 5 days I had 9 reservations....by day 2 we were all feeling sick...bloated...yucky! We weren't eating a lot...so, I was very surprised we were feeling so yuck...Ok, you say really? That many reservations...isn't eating a lot? We ordered appetizers..shared meals...I was budgeting what I spent too....bottom line....be careful and don't over reserve...

I am also bringing my dad for his first time in December. So far this is my list of must-do's:
CRT breakfast before park opens
Liberty Tree Tavern lunch
BOG dinner
Biergarten lunch
50's Prime Time dinner
Sci-Fi lunch
Tusker House breakfast before park opens
Boma dinner
Ohana dinner
1900 Park Fare dinner
Narcoossee's dinner
Cape May Breakfast
Chef Mickey's Breakfast
Yak & Yeti lunch
T-Rex lunch
Hollywood & Vine breakfast
Jiko dinner
I have not been to BOG or Jiko yet. I would've really liked California Grill but not so sure they would so I'm making a sacrifice. CRT before park opening is WONDERFUL! I personally can't stand Crystal Palace... I don't get a kick out of hugging a stuffed bear (ahem.. Pooh!) I'd rather have the ambiance of being in the castle and right in the middle of the park at rope drop. The food was fantastic all the times I've been as well.

I forgot to add BOG but only for lunch. We HATED our dinner there but couldn't say enough positive things about lunch. Lunch really was that good!

One that nobody has mentioned yet, but I think is pure Disney to impress a first timer is Hoop Dee Doo Review. It is great "down home cooking" and a fun Western themed show. I have been with my family with young children many years ago, my DS DDiL and grandkids, and an all adults party and we all had a blast!!
Good Luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter