Restaurants outside the park on Hollywood Studios day?

Cando86

DIS Veteran
Currently we have ADRs for 50s Prime Time but we've both been there and all of our other ADRs are repeats and we really want to try something new. 50s is the one we decided to switch out for something new.

We'll be at HS that day and on the dining plan. We've been to both Sci Fi and 50s so our options would be to eat at Mama Melrose inside the park (which doesn't really have an appeal but we'd do if enough people recommended it) or to leave after Fantasmic around 8:30 and go to the Boardwalk area or Yacht/Beach Club for dinner since I know they're close to HS.

Looks like the options on the dining plan would be Beaches and Cream, Big River Grille, ESPN Club, Trattoria al Forno, Cape May Cafe and Captain's Grill.

Any recommendations?

Love the beautiful atmosphere of the Boardwalk and BC & YC area, especially at night. You can stand on the green bride by Epcot and see some of the high fireworks from Illuminations and if the wind is flowing in the correct direction you can hear some of the music. We have really enjoyed Beaches & Cream, ESPN, and Cape May.

Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
We were looking for a restaurant outside the parks, too, for a night after we go to Lego Land. We missed the Boardwalk on our last trip (we were with another family) and it's a must do for my husband this year. I book a dinner at the Cape May Cafe. My sister ate there in March and LOVED it. So, we'll give it a shot.

Outside the parks? Drive up and down 192 and you have every chain you can possibly imagine. :-) At crossroads near DTD is Kobe, Sweet Tomatoes, Bahama Breeze and just a little further down I believe there is an Olive Garden. I would second the places at the boardwalk or at the Swan/Dolphin area. S&D restaurants normally do not take the dining plan though. Some do give Disney Visa, pass holder or DVC discounts though. Not sure if it applies but..

If you just want burgers and a beer, BRG is perfect (just pay OOP since it's not too expensive and save the TS credit for another day). After dinner, walk around the Boardwalk, get some funnel cake and fried ice cream or some things from the bakery, find a place to sit and people watch or just enjoy watching out over the water. It is a very relaxing and enjoyable way to end the day.

DH and I loved Captain's Grille. It was easy to get a last minute ADR and the food and service were excellent. It's pretty low on the radar, but it's got a great menu!

I have enjoyed both Cape May and Captain's Grille several times. I get the crab legs at either one and they are yummy. Captain's Grille actually works out to be a little cheaper for me because I don't order a dessert. :)

So that evening Fantasmic is at 8pm and we were planning on getting dinner after that but it looks like Cape May and Captain's Grille both close at 9pm that evening. Would you recommend leaving the park for dinner around 5 and then coming back for Fantasmic? I'm not sure if that's too much running around/restricting too much of our HS time.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!!!

We were looking for a restaurant outside the parks, too, for a night after we go to Lego Land. ...

My families favorite off site restaurant last year was Benihana in the Hilton at Downtown Disney, we may eat there again this year even though we are on free dining via our bounce back.

Have you tried Mama Melrose? Do you like Italian food? If yes, then I'd stay at DHS and eat at MM. YOu can also try to book the F! Dining package and have a reserved section to watch F! MM is a favorite of ours and we eat there every trip.

I would never have thought ESPN Club would hold any particular appeal as a restaurant, given all the other options, at WDW, but I somehow ended up looking at their menu recently and noticed all sorts of really unique burger options...and now I'm trying to figure out how to convince my wife that we need to get over there for a burger-fest. Anyway, the menu was much more appealing than I would have guessed, so whether ESPN or something else, I'd study the menus and see what looks good. Most of the places in the Boardwalk area get pretty good review as a whole, and the atmosphere is great, so if you have the time, I'd definitely head over there.

So that evening Fantasmic is at 8pm and we were planning on getting dinner after that but it looks like Cape May and Captain's Grille both close at 9pm that evening. Would you recommend leaving the park for dinner around 5 and then coming back for Fantasmic? I'm not sure if that's too much running around/restricting too much of our HS time.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!!!

Keep in mind that the "closing" time is just the time of the last ADR of the night. The restaurant will remain open until all its guests are served. You could make a 9PM ADR (usually the last ADR would be at around 8:55 if the restaurant "closes" at 9). The wife and I enjoy taking the last ADR of the night. Usually the staff is pretty relaxed and we have never had an issue with bad service, bad food or being rushed. I'd much rather have an ADR for after the show then leaving and going back.

(I'd still suggest burgers and a beer at BRG, but that's just me :thumbsup2)

Last edited:
I think you'd be pushing it to see F at 8 and do a 9pm ADR at the boardwalk. You could take the boat from DHS to the boardwalk but there could be a wait for a boat. F crowd is LARGE and it can take almost 10 min to get out of there. It would be a rush to get where you are going. If you don't mind leaving for 2 hours, I'd do an early ADR at boardwalk area and then go back. No rushing. If you fast pass what you really want at HS that day, I think you'd be fine.
Anyone else agree?

We we're going to try Trattoria but decided to just sneak in the back of Epcot and do Chefs de France. We did not want to eat anywhere in HS either.

Outside the parks? Drive up and down 192 and you have every chain you can possibly imagine. :-) At crossroads near DTD is Kobe, Sweet Tomatoes, Bahama Breeze and just a little further down I believe there is an Olive Garden. I would second the places at the boardwalk or at the Swan/Dolphin area. S&D restaurants normally do not take the dining plan though. Some do give Disney Visa, pass holder or DVC discounts though. Not sure if it applies but..
The OP was looking for something outside of the Disney theme parks but still on property since they are on the DDP.

If you are eating after F! Anyway, there is no reason to limit yourselves to the Boardwalk, you can catch a bus from DHS to any resort. Many resort restaurants like Kona for example take ADRs up to 950 or later.

DTD restaurants are open even later, but that would require another step in transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter