Restaurants NOT on-site, but close

X and G's mom

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,
I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm trying to save $, so budget board got it........I'm wondering what off-site restaurants are close to All Star Sports, or Downtown Disney. We have never been to Disney before, so are total rookies on how to get around. I thought someone posted about restaurants that are cheaper and off site that were close to Downtown Disney. I do know about the McDonalds by the All Star Sports.
Thanks everyone!

The crossroads shopping plaza is at the end of hotel plaza blvd (go strait at the end of the road into the plaza). There are a few restaurants there. I'm sure you can look it up, TGIFridays I know and another McDs Theres also an overpriced grocery store there. If you take a left at the light instead of going strait theres an IHop down there and some other restaurants plus a Walgreens which has some food items too. I don't go any further than that, we end up getting lost!:laughing:

There are several on 535 just outside of DTD. Crossroads which is right across from the entrance to DTD area has Fudruckers, UNO Pizza, Flipper's Pizza and a McDonald's. If you turn left onto 535 you have Shoney's, Chili's, Joe's Crab Shak and Macaroni Grill on your left and a Giordano's on your right. If you turn right onto 535 you have Bahama Breeze and Golden Corral on the left as well as Wendy's and Chik fil a on the right..

YEA! I LOVE Fuddruckers!!! The closest one to me is 3 hours away, but whenever I'm near Milwaukee I'm there! :banana:

I don't want to venture off too far either! I would get lost too! :rotfl:

So, I'm assuming these are walking distance??

We lived in Orlando for 3 years and I don't remember a fudruckers at the Crossroads (unless it has popped up in the last year) :confused3

Also, when you say "you assume you can walk there" it depends on where you are coming from? If you mean walk from All Star Sports, there is NO WAY!

If you mean walk from DTD just know, it will be at least a 15 minute walk from the bus drop off area by the DTD Marketplace side to the Crossroads.

Sorry, I will be catching a bus at AS Sp going to DTD. We will be dropped off somewhere, I don't know where, at DTD - wherever the bus stop is.

So, I'm assuming these are walking distance??

Well, that depends on your definition. Do you walk a lot?

From the DTD bus stop to the property gate on HPB leading out to Crossroads shopping center is about 1/2 mile. From there it's about 100 yds to Mickey D's.

The string of hotels and restaurants on SR 535 is about 1.5 miles from Palm Parkway at the top to I-4 at the bottom. This detailed map should help: http://www.orlando-lakebuenavista.com/map/lbvnorth/hwy535map1.htm#535palmparkway

PS: I just checked, and the nearest Fuddrucker's is on the main strip of I-Drive. According to Google Maps, it's 9.1 miles away from
Crossroads Shopping Center.

Thanks that map is great. There are a lot of choices there that we will be using! Walking is not a problem for us.

great info here.

thanks.. I will keep up with this thread and note since we will have our car when we go early next year..

We recently returned and can vouch for the Fuddruckers in the Crossroads Shopping Center. It was pretty good! Also went to Buffalo Wild Wings and TGIF's in the same complex- Friday's was dead on a Wednesday night, BWW was super busy but it was a college football Saturday afternoon-long wait for food. We also "turned left" at the light coming from DTD (which by the way is the longest light on earth!!!!) onto 535 and ate at Chili's on a Thursday night, as well as Romano's Macaroni Grill. Both were good- Romano's was busy (Friday) but we got seated right away. Also went to Dunkin Donuts and Subway, both right in that general area as well. there is a Burger King and a Pizza Hut there too. Also a less expensive alternative to the Goodings/Crossroads grocer is a Winn Dixie, down the same road as the above mentioned resturants. We had a 7 year old with us and he was happy at all of these places, as were we.

We did have a car, however. You could walk to Crossroads from DTD if you are used to walking, and the other mentioned restaurants are anywhere from a few stores away to within a mile of Crossroads.

At the Crossings where Goodings is there's a Uno's and TGI Fridays along with a McD's and Taco Bell. Just down the street like one block down there's an Olive Garden, Pizza Hut, Orlando Ale House (yum-o) and Ci Ci's Pizza (YES). We frequent the Orlando Ale House and Ci Ci's.

At the Crossings where Goodings is there's a Uno's and TGI Fridays along with a McD's and Taco Bell. Just down the street like one block down there's an Olive Garden, Pizza Hut, Orlando Ale House (yum-o) and Ci Ci's Pizza (YES). We frequent the Orlando Ale House and Ci Ci's.

We LOVE Miller's Orlando Ale House:lovestruc !!! We discovered this place when we were there in June and went twice! We are so looking forward to going back on our next trip in June 09. Also want to check out Fudruckers!
We stay offsite in that general area and we are always looking for reasonably priced good food.

I know there are folks who may disagree with me, but IMO, if you're staying on-site, it is far easier, less time-consuming, and not terribly more expensive to dine on-site. The two or three times that DH and I have ventured off-site for dining, we've usually gotten lost driving, had long waits at the nicer restaurants, and paid close to what a similar meal would've cost on-property.

If you don't have a car, I wouldn't even attempt it... that Fudruckers is decent but my recollection is that it is a mile or more from DTD. Is it worth saving $5 or $10 to walk 2 or 3 miles roundtrip?

There are some good ways to save money dining on-site: order a children's meal (for an adult) at counter service locations, ask for a cup of ice water (free) instead of buying a drink at all locations, share a meal or snack (many portions are fairly large), and schedule any table service meals for breakfast or lunch (which are less expensive than dinner). Also, consider ordering from one of the grocery delivery services. Have them deliver bottled water, snacks, and some breakfast items.

With this being your first time at WDW, it is far more valuable to save your time and energy to spend them enjoying the parks, your hotel pool, and yourself than to spend them going off-site for meals.

Just my 2 cents.

I know there are folks who may disagree with me, but IMO, if you're staying on-site, it is far easier, less time-consuming, and not terribly more expensive to dine on-site. The two or three times that DH and I have ventured off-site for dining, we've usually gotten lost driving, had long waits at the nicer restaurants, and paid close to what a similar meal would've cost on-property.

If you don't have a car, I wouldn't even attempt it... that Fudruckers is decent but my recollection is that it is a mile or more from DTD. Is it worth saving $5 or $10 to walk 2 or 3 miles roundtrip?

There are some good ways to save money dining on-site: order a children's meal (for an adult) at counter service locations, ask for a cup of ice water (free) instead of buying a drink at all locations, share a meal or snack (many portions are fairly large), and schedule any table service meals for breakfast or lunch (which are less expensive than dinner). Also, consider ordering from one of the grocery delivery services. Have them deliver bottled water, snacks, and some breakfast items.

With this being your first time at WDW, it is far more valuable to save your time and energy to spend them enjoying the parks, your hotel pool, and yourself than to spend them going off-site for meals.

Just my 2 cents.

Parking here......You also should know that All-Star Sports is a long way from downtown Disney.....We have made the walk down Plaza Blvd. and while it is not too far (for us) who wants to do any more walking????? And as the poster above said, what you MAY save in $$$$ you will lose in time.

Actually if you would like a great place to eat with generous servings on site..go over to Coronado Springs Resort's Pepper Market. You can't go wrong there at all. My husband/I almost always split a meal as they give you generous servings. Love it there!

My favorite in that Crossroads Shopping Center, that I haven't seen mentioned is Chevy's Fresh Mex. Great mexican food, fresh salsa, great margaritas, and the kids meals have fresh fruit and an ice cream cone for desert, very reasonable prices. There used to be a Jungle Jim's next door, but I think they closed. Also haven't seen this mentioned lately and I have never been there, but right in DTD, there is a place I think called the Earl of Sandwich, that I have heard has huge sandwiches (enough to feed 2) for reasonable prices.

One more tip for bringing groceries back to the room, empty one of your rolling suitcases and bring it with you when you go to the store, then when done shopping pack your food in the suitcase and you have your own cart. Your arms and legs will thank you.

Lots of chains near DTD as pointed out. If you would like to break from that, just north of DTD on 535 is a plaza with Vallarta Mexican Grill.

It is terrific and inexpensive. Great service as well.

Out of park, on Disney area dining past experiance.

We stayed at the Value Movies the last two trips and ate at the on site area. I had a half chiken dinner and dd had a grilled fish, maybe flounder. I believe it was $6.98. Drink, roll, great potatos, and veg. Fresh steamy Yummo. My family said the breakfast were great too. I ate toast and bagels along with cereal in the room.

I also love the Earl of sandwich, at DTD major thumbs up for value and variity, great food.

The other is ordering from Papa Johns, depending on which resort you are at, which to order from and they deliver. There is also a $2 off Internet coupon to print.

If you have a car anyone ever experiance WHATTABURGER that was great burgers!

In the park at Tomorrow land, that spaceship looking food center has wonderful salads. Not pricy either. For days in the park it was great stop.

Epcot in the countries, there was a food stand with seating to watch the fireworks that was Mexican. Great combination meals. That was a few dollars, but worth the seating to view the fireworks.

dianne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter