Restaurants near Universal?

threeboysmom

Living the dream - near Disney!
Hi! We'll be staying at the HRH in early May and will have our own vehicle. We're hoping to save some money be eating a few dinners "off site". Does anyone know of some good eateries that are nearby? I'm not familiar with the "Universal area" as I am with the Disney area. We're looking for good, but inexpensive places to grab a quick bite.

For onsite, we've picked Mythos & Margaretaville to eat at. Maybe the Sunset Grill if there's a Scooby character dinner or Motown. Are there any outstanding fast food places to lunch at or grab a quick dinner?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to our first Universal trip, but I'm very unfamiliar with which places to eat at. I've looked at all the menus, but you really can't tell if the food there is going to be good. I'd rather go on recommendations by others :)

Many of the locals recommended a place called FishBones that was not far from Universals. I don't know the prices though.

There are LOTS of restaurants along Kirkman Rd. and also International Drive, both are right next to Universal.

Close to HRH, on Kirkman, are a branch of the Orlando Ale House and a Kobe Steak House. Also, a Friday's. There's a Ponderosa Steak House, too, and some folks tout their bargain breakfast buffet.

Nearby fast food includ McD's, BK and Wendy's.

A bit north along Kirkman, you'll find a Hooters, a Thai restaurant and a Waffle House.

South from the park, at or near the intersection of Kirkman and I-Drive are two pretty good Indian restuarants, Passage To India and Far Pavilion. I hear the new Indian restaurant here, Flavours of India, is overpriced. Also at this intersection is a Sweet Tomatoes.

A litttle farther away, down I-Drive, you'll find plenty of other choices.

Steak & Ale, Sizzlers, Denny's, I-Hop, Outback Steak House, Red Lobster all on I-Drive and Kirkman.

Plenty of them around.

...gets my "thumbs up" vote!!! It is within minutes of US, on Sand Lake Rd., just pass the end of International Drive. It boasts FABULOUS fresh seafood, chops, and steaks. For the more adventurous, you can try gator (try it -- it's AWESOME!!)

Fishbones is good and is "moderately priced (average dish per person = $20 - $25). All the other places listed are good as well. Passage to India is a great Indian restraunt that has recently added a lunch and dinner buffet. Very good.

Along International Drive are tons of great other places. Charley's Steak House and Vito's ChopHouse are both on I-drive and are excellent steak houses. Ming Court is an outstanding Chinese restaurant. They are also moderately priced.

Fishbones was very good. We also enjoy the Butcher shop at the Mercado. The Bahama Breeze is one of the nicest restaurants I've have been to in Orlando. Great food and presentation. My wife loves the fancy drinks.

We go to Universal quite often and always stay off site. We love Prime Rib and have found that Darryl's on International Dr. has some of the best in the area. One hint though is to get there early. They always seem to give out around 6:00.

to vinn

Is bahama breeze good for kids? It sounds like a nice place. Is it reasonably priced? Thanks for your info. Going down in March and can not wait. We are getting a blizzard here now .:sunny:

The Bahama Breeze is a chain, one of the better one's, at least 2 of which are located in the Orlando area. One is on International Drive the other just above "Hotel row at Disney. Actually across from Vistana Villages. We love it. My brothers also go whenever they are in Disney area. Check out the Menu. Some food is spicy so ask or be suprised

www.bahamabreeze.com

We'll be down again in March Too. Enjoy your stay!

Thanks for the info. We will be staying at the Hrh so I think the one on International is closer.

Here's another vote for Bahama Breeze, it's extremely good, but the problem can be the wait times. I've seen several days that the wait was over 2 hours.

BTW they're not open for lunch AFAIK

From Dad of 3 (boys)
to threeboysmom

Ponderosa Steak house is our quick and reasonably priced off property restaurant when we stay at Universal. With three boys, it is hard to beat steak and buffet. However, the steaks are not of the hightest quality though. Like you we also enjoy a "special" dinner at CityWalk as well.

Ponderosa is located on International drive about 12 minutes away by car.

Thank you so much everybody for responding. I didn't realize there were so many places around - we'll have plenty to choose from. I've heard a lot about Bahama Breeze - glad to know there is one near Universal. The menu looks great, but there are no prices listed. Anybody know on average what a meal would cost and what a kids meal cost?

Thanks!

We stayed at HRH in Nov. and one thing that came in very handy for us was the I-Ride trolly map. It listed all of the restaurants that were very close to the HRH and their locations. You can have them mail you a map @ no charge if you visit their site www.iridetrolley.com

Paula

Don't know about kids meals - but the one in Marietta GA has similar prices to an Olive Garden or other nice chain type restaurant. Anywhere from $10 - $20 bucks if I recall - and HUGE servings!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter