Restaurants at AKL for picky eaters??

M&C'sMom

Mouseketeer
I'm considering the AKL for upcoming May trip but I'm very concerned about the food at the restaurants. My kids are picky eaters and not at all adventurous. They like typical kid fare (pizza, burgers, chicken strips). Also, while DH and I can be pretty adventurous in our dining, does everything have an African flair?? I think that could get a little old after a few days. Granted, we're only talking about eating a couple of dinners while there, we'll be eating at the parks and other resorts, too.

Thanks for any input!
Carole

Tough question for others to answer because only you really, really know your kids. All I can say is, my wife and I and our three kids (14, 10 and 6) absolutely loved Bomas. We all found something we loved....we all found something we went back for over and over at the buffet table! (If anyone in your group likes prime rib, there's no way they could NOT enjoy how they serve it here!)
It was one of the most memorable dinners of our week's stay. After the kids were stuffed, they strolled around the lodge and outside while my wife and I enjoyed a cappucino (nothing African about that!) and another helping of dessert!
Have fun whatever you decide...May is a fabulous month to go to Disney!

There's always the Mara foodcourt for the kids. They have a variety of the standard kid-type stuff. We spent five nights at AKL and never ate at Boma or Jiko. We don't usually eat at the resort much, but have picky kids too. Check out the menu. http://wdwig.com/menu/menu_marald.htm

At Boma there was a section of the buffet that was geared towards kids. There were chicken strips, mac and cheese, french fries and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the crusts cut off.

As for "regular" food, the prime rib was excellent, they also had a roast pork, hummus and a variety of soups and salads. I think non-adventurous diners will do fine at Boma.

I agree. You can't go wrong at Boma. Just keep in mind that it might be a rather pricy option if the kids are just going to take some chicken strips. If cost is an issue, you're probably better off at a food court where you just pay for what you get.

Steve

In way we stayed at AKL for 8 nights and never once ate at the restaurants there. I now wish we had since we have heard so many great things about Boma since then, but there is always next time..... My point is that just because you stay there doesn't mean you have to eat there.

I too have picky eaters for kids and adventurous adults! I am thinking of going here one night to eat and check out the hotel as well -- sounds like we'll get the pricy chicken strips. Thanks for the information everyone!!
princess:

When we were deciding between WL & AKL the concern about the food was a major sticking point. Only DH could be considered "adventurous" when it comes to food & we wanted the option of a "good" restaurant for when we came home from the parks tired.

Our first morning we decided to eat at Boma hoping our room would be ready before heading out to the parks. Everyone enjoyed it so much they couldn't wait to try it for dinner "one night" . . . at least that was the plan. (We were there for 10 days.

(apology for all caps - just encountered computer problem)
We ended up eating there 4x for breakfast & 4x for dinner. DH swears it's his "favorite restaurant on the planet!"

If you're concerned about the dishes - oddness & spiciness - you may want to check out one of the recipe sites to see what they put in them. My favorite site is Margie J's. (Margie J is a poster here.)

I think there's plenty for a picky eater at Boma -- except maybe in the dessert department. The desserts tend to be very rich.

But aside from the plain American kids food section (mac and cheese, chicken strips, spaghetti) there are other plainish dishes throughout.

A very clever mom at the table next to ours went up and filled plates for her kids who were in the 6-8 range. They had their chicken fingers, but they also had some fruit and salad on the dish, a roll with butter, etc. She brought it back and set it down and they tucked right in :)

Depending on how old/pushy your kids are, you might just make up their plates for them.

I went with an unadventurous adult who loved everything she tried, so I think it's a good choice for people of all ages/tastes.

At breakfast there's a full assortment of customary breakfast foods but also cereals and fresh fruit. Expensive for children, I suppose, but not that much more expensive than we were paying for much less variety and quality at the Pepper Market at Coronado springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter