• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Restaurant that others rave over but you think...really?

Definitely California Grill and The Brown Derby...both were way over priced and the food was so blah. The service at the Cali grill was also really crappy.

Chef Mickey's! We ate there on our very first Disney trip in '93....and all 5 of us got food poisoning. It was terrible. We spent to days sick in our room. Needless to say, it's amazing we ever went back to Disney after that!

We always pay OOP and go to the signature restaurants.
Very disappointed in Cali. Grill. Underwhelmed.:rolleyes1

OT: On a side note over the last few years. We have noticed when we tell the server were not on the dining plan, that we always get a reaction. They smile and the service is excellent. :confused3;)

I can honestly say I have never had a bad meal at WDW. I have eaten at alot of the restuarants for either breakfast, lunch or dinner and I guess each person has their own opinion. I have never understood how one persons opinion dictates what others do. I say read the comments, go see for yourself make an opinion on your experience but realize that every restuarant can and will have a bad night, be it because of the time of year or time of day or just the people they are serving.

I will say this if there is a problem with your meal or service talk to the manager while there that will help them and you.

I agree with most of what you said with the exception never having a bad meal; ABC Commissary was bad. ;)

As for talking to a manager most of the time this will resolve any problems one may have if done calmly. However, I did have an exception at Le'Cellier. We were placed right next to the entrance way of the restrooms and between the server station for credit cards and a service station for silverwear. We politely asked to be seated at another location and were told there were no other seats. When we ended up speaking to the manager we were told the same thing. We volunteered to go back to the end of the list and wait (which had already been 40 minutes past our adr). This time the manager stated no again and if this was not an acceptable location we were free to go somewhere else to eat that evening. We remained calm, endured the endless traffic of patrons heading to the restroom, the constant sound of flushing, the clanging of silverwear, and the constant traffic of servers ringing credit cards next to us. Is this an exaggeration of our experience? NO. I guess I'm just at a loss to believe the arrogance of this place (my impression) because of it's popularity.

Or, along those lines, I cannot help but cite the opening monologue of Woody Allen's brilliant "Annie Hall."

To quote Alvy Singer: "There's an old joke. Uh, two elderly women are at a Catskills mountain resort, and one of 'em says: 'Boy, the food at this place is really terrible.' The other one says, 'Yeah, I know. And such small portions.'"

I'm sorry. I simply could not resist the opportunity to reference a Woody Allen film in a DISBoards thread.

:woohoo:

I came so close to posting this! Thank you!! :lmao:

We always pay OOP and go to the signature restaurants.
Very disappointed in Cali. Grill. Underwhelmed.:rolleyes1

OT: On a side note over the last few years. We have noticed when we tell the server were not on the dining plan, that we always get a reaction. They smile and the service is excellent. :confused3;)

I don't see how this would matter anymore, since now tips are not included in the plan.

For me it is a tie between Artist's Point and Narcoossee's. I have only eaten there once each but it was enough to decide to never come back. First of all the service was atrocious, we were ignored both places. Secondly the food wasn't all it was cracked up to be, in fact AP made DW sick (she is a vegetarian so I don't know what could have made her sick). So needless to say I do not foresee going back to either anytime soon.

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but you don't only get sick if you eat meat. :confused3

Le Cellier - I expected so much and was very underwhelmed

it's not going to be anytime soon I fight like mad 180 days out to try and reserve a dark, loud, Outback quality (only my opinion) steakhouse.
I actually like Outback:)

As for talking to a manager most of the time this will resolve any problems one may have if done calmly. However, I did have an exception at Le'Cellier. We were placed right next to the entrance way of the restrooms and between the server station for credit cards and a service station for silverwear. We politely asked to be seated at another location and were told there were no other seats. When we ended up speaking to the manager we were told the same thing. We volunteered to go back to the end of the list and wait (which had already been 40 minutes past our adr). This time the manager stated no again and if this was not an acceptable location we were free to go somewhere else to eat that evening. We remained calm, endured the endless traffic of patrons heading to the restroom, the constant sound of flushing, the clanging of silverwear, and the constant traffic of servers ringing credit cards next to us. Is this an exaggeration of our experience? NO. I guess I'm just at a loss to believe the arrogance of this place (my impression) because of it's popularity.

Agree with this. Besides LeCellier not living up to all the hype, the cm's that are working there, have an arrogance about them that I have not seen anywhere else at WDW. I guess its because of the high damand and limited seating, they dont have to magical or even nice.
When we checked in for our dining reservation last year, they told us it would be at least an hour wait even though we had reservations! :scared1: They did not say we had to sit on the floor and wait. We went around the corner, and went into the canada exibit to cool off. We were gone approx 15min. When we got back we got yelled at for leaving !!! Even though they said it would be at least an hour wait, and the table was still not ready. :confused3
The food was just mediocre, service was only fair, CMs were all rude, you practically have to sit with another family as the tables are way to close together, and the price for the meal was outrageous. We will prob never do this one again, jmho.

Syndrome

Agree with this. Besides LeCellier not living up to all the hype, the cm's that are working there, have an arrogance about them that I have not seen anywhere else at WDW. I guess its because of the high damand and limited seating, they dont have to magical or even nice.
When we checked in for our dining reservation last year, they told us it would be at least an hour wait even though we had reservations! :scared1: They did not say we had to sit on the floor and wait. We went around the corner, and went into the canada exibit to cool off. We were gone approx 15min. When we got back we got yelled at for leaving !!! Even though they said it would be at least an hour wait, and the table was still not ready. :confused3
The food was just mediocre, service was only fair, CMs were all rude, you practically have to sit with another family as the tables are way to close together, and the price for the meal was outrageous. We will prob never do this one again, jmho.

Syndrome

We have had a similar experience. I really think Le Cellier and SOME of it's employees need to find out that you cannot have such arrogance. (We have actually dined there twice-almost three times) One time, we were treated with such an attitude by management (remember, they do not NEED you or your patronage--THEY are the high and mighty Le Cellier) that we got up and walked out after being seated and conversing with the manager. They truly did not care. We were a number to them (party of 8). I firmly believe that the reason that the ADR's are so difficult to obtain here is because of the idea that it's "hard to get". I don't hold a grudge forever and we have dined there once since "the incident". I just canceled our ADR a couple of nights ago because my family encouraged me to--they don't think the food is worth sitting in your neighbor's lap and not having private conversation. Why are patrons piled on top of one another at Le Cellier? Because patrons are "cattle" to be herded-- and they can get away with it. I am the first to admit I always make ADR's for the difficult to obtain restaurants and then cancel when I am sure I no longer want them.

Le Cellier - I expected so much and was very underwhelmed

I actually like Outback:)

I do as well, I'm just not going to make a reservation at an Outback 180 days in advance. :rotfl:

I also can honestly say I have never had a bad meal in a Disney restaurant. Many of them I have judged by the appearance,characters present, food selection & whether or not my kids ate well there. There were some that may not have been all they had been built up to, but not bad. For example, SciFi is one of our favorites for the hamburgers & presentation. It is truly my DH favorite. He is not that big of a Disney fan & he doesn't ride most rides due to motion sickness, so he gets to pick his favorite place to eat. I know most of the complaints about bad food tend to be at the busiest times. We are usually in WDW in March for Spring Break which is a busy time.

Chef Mickeys. Been there twice and really only go because DH likes it ( and the kids) but I think the food is not good and overated.
The plus is that the location is perfect for after the MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter