• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Restaurant suggestions in AK or AKL?

jentifred

Earning My Ears
Looking for dinner for our second night (5/25). We will be in AK for the afternoon, so anything in that area (either in the park or nearby) would be fabulous. THANKS!

No dining plan, but we are looking for table service.

Our Ratings of Sanaa: (rev 10/9/12)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: A
. . . character interaction: B (views of animals on savannah)

NOTE1: Sanaa has good regional African food. Americanized, but
definitely more adventurous than other eateries. The menu is
shorter than other table service eateries, the wine list average,
but the quality of the food and presentation are high. An added
benefit is viewing animals on the Savannah during the meal (for
daylight hours). There's eight savannah window tables and six
more with good views. For lunch, try the Lamb Kefta open face
sandwich; for dinner, try the beef and lamb. Don't miss out on
the Banana Kulfi Sundae. Get the salad sampler with three of the
salads that can feed two people. Be aware that items labeled as
"Durban" are highly spiced, and best washed down with cold milk!
It is out-of-the-way, but worth the drive. This is only one of the
five sit-down eateries we patronize at WDW. In our opinion, and
other respected reviewers, Sanaa is better than Jiko or Boma.

We ate at both Boma and Sanaa on our trip in August. We did Boma with our four kids, and Sanaa as a date night.

I would think with kids that Boma is a great choice. (Animal Kingdom Lodge). It's a buffet, with many choices that include some more 'normal' choices for the kids if they're not adventurous eaters. My kids, and my hubby!...can be picky eaters, but all have asked to eat here again on our next trip. The servers and chefs were fantastic.

The other nice thing is that the Animal Kingdom Lodge is fun to hang out at! Depending on what time you finish dinner, you could take the kids outside to do the night vision goggles viewing of the savanna. This was one of our favorite memories from our trip! There is no charge for this, and it was so much fun.

Yak and Yeti at AK! We tried it for the 1st time and we will make this one a must-do every trip!

Any of the AKL restaurants would be good choices. But our favourite is Sanaa. If you feel that you would like to have dinner inside the park at the end of the day, then I think the buffet at Tusker House could supply your whole family with a nice variety to choose from. Given the choice though, I'd say wait until you can get over to AKL.

Part of my problem with the restaurants down that area is that I see a ton of things on the menus that would send me into anaphylactic shock (soy and peanut) and freak out.

I know the chefs would find something for me to have, but it still freaks me out. Plus I do get reactions from airborne contact with peanuts (those aren't life threatening, but it'll ruin my evening).

If you do Sanaa; make the reservation while it is light out to see the animals. To have a better chance at securing a window table I would go around 5 PM when the restaurant starts serving dinner. Jiko is a very good signature restaurant. In my opinion, you can not go wrong with wither. If you want a more upscale meal chose Jiko; if you want to view animals while eating chose Sanaa.

We'll be getting a late start that day in AK and I suspect we'll largely still be on Mountain time, so I'll see what I can get for later! At least it'll be late enough in spring that the sun should still be up at dinner time.

How long should I allow to get between AK (if we stay to park close) and Sanaa? We will have a car.

Looking like Sanaa! I just showed my kids the kids' menu and they said "YUM"! I actually suspect they'll have a hard time narrowing it down when the time comes. The grownup menu looks friendly for my allergies, too. WIN!

Thanks all!

8pm is what they had at Sanaa!

And the new website is absolutely maddening! I can't see any of the ADRs I'd already made and every time I try to link them I get an error.

Yeah a lot of people are complaining about the new website. The new website needing a lot of upgrading is causing the Disney reservation phone number to have people waiting more than an hour to speak to someone.

The other that PP's have mentioned are great choices, but 1 that got overlooked id Rain Forest Cafe * near the entrance to AK. 3 times we've eaten at this location, with all three great meals, service, andfun...:thumbsup2

BOMA! Over at AKL, seriously one of the best meals we had while we were there!!

It's all African inspired dishes, laid out in a buffet, and they're all delicious! Lots of amazing flavors, and it's not too pricey!!

In terms of IN Animal Kingdom I would suggest Yak and Yeti, or Tusker House if they do dinner.

We have enjoyed RFC all the times we have been. We are going to Yak & yeti this next year. I have heard good things.

We have also been to Boma and just wasn't for us. Family did not care for the spices, myself included. We were there on a thanksgiving day and thanked the good Lord there was traditional offerings also!

Will add....desserts and hummus were great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter